Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paradise Lost

Options
  • 28-04-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey, anyone out there with an interest in Paradise Lost? When was the last time they played here in Dublin? I haven't listened to any new music since In Requiem which was not too bad, anyone got the new album?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Their new album Tragic Idol is streaming here.

Think it's been a few years since they last played here. Think it may have been 06 with Opeth.

My personal favourites were Paradise Lost (2005) and Gothic (1991)

They've certainly changed their style since their first album which deserves a certain credit. They seemed to regain some form in the mid-'00's with the self-titled album and In Requiem. The last album didn't particularly connect with me and am still listening to the new one before I form an opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Best British band since Maiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Love Paradise Lost.
    Preordered the latest and awaiting the postman.

I think Passenger is right in saying the last time they played here was with Opeth in Vicar St. AFAIK they played here over the Host tour which didnt go down too well as they wanted to move in a different musical direction and play all their newer stuff but most gig goers wanted to hear older stuff. I think Greg broke his arm just before the gig, so it was a bit of a shambles. They dont seem to tour here much since then.

I saw them at Sonisphere last year and they were fantastic, played a great setlist from varied albums with the time that they had plus Nick seemed in great form. Will see them at Soni Spain next month.

I enjoyed the last album on the first few listens but it didnt hold my attention after. I would also recommend Symbol of Life if you dont have it.

Hope they play a headline gig here soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

was at soni uk last year myself and for me they were one of the highlights of the weekend. there new album tragic idol is excellant imo and im sure a
    tour will follow. Very surprised they have not been announced for download this year. Fingers crossed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They've been going through the motions for years

second and third albums stood the test of time and that's it

If you're a fan of overblown stuff with a lot of filler then you could probably push it to up to that one after dracouniun tarmes when they started the depeche mode flirtation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Bambi wrote: »
    They've been going through the motions for years

second and third albums stood the test of time and that's it

If you're a fan of overblown stuff with a lot of filler then you could probably push it to up to that one after dracouniun tarmes when they started the depeche mode flirtation

Icon is a brilliant album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Paradise Lost is in the air... Everyone's been talking about them lately.
    'Shades of God' is on my playlist all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

The new album is really and truly excellent and its also one of my top albums for 2012 so far. I bought the limited edition black box, and it was well worth it. The two bonus songs are also fantastic 'Ending Through Changes' and 'Never Take Me Alive'. I've been going a bit mad buying quite a few of their best albums. I bought 'Shades of God, swaped a friend for 'One Second', got the limited edition black velvet 'In Requiem' box, and the limited edition of 'Faith Divides Us'. They are a really fantastic band, and for me they are up there with some of the best british metal\gothic bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, My Dying Bride, The Mission UK, Sisters of Mercy, Fields of The Nephilim, Anathema etc. For me they have nine outstanding albums, and very few bands apart from Maiden, Sabbath etc have that many excellent albums. These would be my absolute favourite Paradise Lost albums:

Gothic
    Shades of God
    Icon
    Draconian Times
    One Second
    Paradise Lost
    In Requiem
    Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us
    Tragic Idol

Icon is a brilliant album.

Some good tunes, the rest is just metallicaisms given a fields of the nephilim varnish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Amazing band. Draconian Times is my favourite album of all time.

roast wrote: »
    Amazing band. Draconian Times is my favourite album of all time.

It's an incredible album. I never tire of it. Maybe you should also try these albums:

Fields of The Nephilim - The Nephilim
    Tiamat - Wildhoney
    Sisters of Mercy - First And Last And Always/Floodland
    Type O Negative - October Rust
    Fields of The Nephilim - Elizium
    The Mission UK - Children
    The Foreshadowing - Oionos
    Love Like Blood - An Irony of Fate
    Nosferatu - Rise
    Anathema - Eternity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

It's an incredible album. I never tire of it. Maybe you should also try these albums:

Fields of The Nephilim - The Nephilim
    Tiamat - Wildhoney
    Sisters of Mercy - First And Last And Always/Floodland
    Type O Negative - October Rust
    Fields of The Nephilim - Elizium
    The Mission UK - Children
    The Foreshadowing - Oionos
    Love Like Blood - An Irony of Fate
    Nosferatu - Rise
    Anathema - Eternity

Nice one, appreciate it! I have the Type-O, Nosferatu and Anathema records listed there already. Quality stuff. Must check out the others!

roast wrote: »
    Nice one, appreciate it! I have the Type-O, Nosferatu and Anathema records listed there already. Quality stuff. Must check out the others!

Also check out these albums, there is quite a bit of influence of Fields of The Nephilim in them:

Moonspell - Night Eternal
    Anathema - The Silent Enigma
    Elusive - The Great Silence (old scool goth rock like The Mission and Neph's)
    Opened Paraise -Occult (Old school goth rock in the vein of The Nephs and Nosferatu)
    Sons of Neverland - Soulkeeper (blantant rip off of the Nephs, but still really enjoyable and excellent.)
    Anathema - Eternity
    Love Like Blood - Chronology of a Love Affair (great album covers of 80's goth rock and some 90's goth metal)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

I've been into Paradise Lost since the Icon days, when I had the foldout poster pinned on my wall beside my bed... :o

The latest album arrived in the post from their website last Tuesday (with a signed inlay, woo hoo!) and it's a real grower. Some standout tunes on there.

Draconian Times is probably still my favourite album, but it's hard to choose - each one has its own strengths. There are still "fans" who go to the gigs and demand songs from the very first album, and I know a lot of folks were divided when the band veered off into the lighter stuff, but the fact that they're solid performers and not afraid to experiment appeals to me hugely.

I wish they'd play a headline gig in Dublin though. Opeth support aside in 2006 (I think), the closest they got to here was the Full Metal Racket event in Belfast in 2009. I've been travelling to Manchester and London see them for years...time for them to come to me! :P

They've played a good few headline gigs in dublin over the years :confused:

They're pretty boring live though imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Gothic, Shades of God and Icon were classic metal albums but I lost interest in them when they had a sort of mid-life crisis in the mid-nineties and they turned into a Depeche Mode clone. They've made a solid comeback in the last few years though, the last couple of albums were decent though.

Haven't seen them live since they supported Sepultura at the SFX in 93 or 94, wouldn't mind seeing them again though since they're playing metal again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Free greatest hits album here featuring one song from each of their albums: http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/06/07/free-download-and-stream-paradise-losts-lost-in-time-greatest-hits-compilation/

Limited to 4,400 downloads so be quick.

Elysian wrote: »
    Free greatest hits album here featuring one song from each of their albums: http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/06/07/free-download-and-stream-paradise-losts-lost-in-time-greatest-hits-compilation/

Limited to 4,400 downloads so be quick.

Thanks a million for that link.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I've not heard their latest album, but i doubt, despite the glowing reviews, it'll be as good as their last great album(Draconian times)

• Advertisement
Advertisement