Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus removal/ PC repairs

Options
  • 28-04-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Just want to see if people think there would be interest in a PC repair/Virus removal service in Carlow but not in the town more the surrounding areas and towns. Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Mr.Ed

I am certainly aware of a number of people who would welcome the whole PC trouble shooting service in the rural area's. However there is a number of key points to remember.

1) Price point is critical as alot of people will be in town and can use one of the services in there to get a PC repaired.
    2) Alot of people knows somebody who knows something about PCs and will repair it for them for a small fee or a few pints.
    3) Location/willingness to travel, you have a number of largish rural towns that could do with a service like that.

hope this helps somewhat.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi Mr.Ed

I am certainly aware of a number of people who would welcome the whole PC trouble shooting service in the rural area's. However there is a number of key points to remember.

1) Price point is critical as alot of people will be in town and can use one of the services in there to get a PC repaired.
    2) Alot of people knows somebody who knows something about PCs and will repair it for them for a small fee or a few pints.
    3) Location/willingness to travel, you have a number of largish rural towns that could do with a service like that.

hope this helps somewhat.. :)
    There is also a lot of hype around this area, people see their pc or laptop is running slowly so "it must have a virus"! But the fastest thing to slow down and bugger up any laptop or net book is having them on your lap in bed or teenagers with them on the carpet/rug where they overheat due to lack of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

[Rant]
    yes and don't forget the usual issue of having a massive amount of crap installed on the PC/Laptop especially those "mywebsearch" search bars, these search bars are a pain in the ar$e for slowing down browsing speed.
    Most people will only complain of slow PCs from a start-up speed or internet browser speed perspective and forget everything else.

People also think that just because a PC is 4 years old it should able to run the same as when it was new (even if it is a celeron with 1gb RAM) and forget the demands that more up to date software will have on the system and resources or the fact that the another common cause of performance degradation is due to impending HDD failure (Link).

[/Rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Cheers for the input lads i appreciate it, Do you have any idea what local PC shops charge for their services?
    I'm thinking hard about starting this from what you said,
    Just need to find somewhere decent to advertise where it will get a decent chance of being seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Mr.Ed wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Just want to see if people think there would be interest in a PC repair/Virus removal service in Carlow but not in the town more the surrounding areas and towns. Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

there is already a few established businesses around carlow town that do pc repairs/virus removal.

1. The Polish guy on Tullow street opposite the music factory nightclub (or what ever name it goes under as it seems to change every other week)

2. Cara Computers on Kennedy Street next to Dominoes

3. Jones Business systems on o'brien road

there is also one in graiguecullen somewhere cant remember his name though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm sure there is a need for the service but it's not a simple service to offer, firstly most Irish people don't think you are working unless you are sweating and physically doing something so trying to get paid for a quick 10 minute fix isn't simple.

The other issue is you fix one thing and in their minds you assume responsibility for anything that happens the pc for the next 6 months, e.g. someones sound is fecked you fix the sound card and give it a quick cleanup then the following week their wifi connection stops working and they call saying "whatever you did the wireless has stopped working now". My reply to that is if someone fixed your washing machine and the dishwasher stopped working a week later would you blame them?

I used to do a good bit of bits and pieces when I was younger but I avoid it at all costs now, god knows family have enough bits to keep me busy after work!

If you are going to do it have a minimum charge and cost per hour, if you want to PM me your number and I can pass it on to those who ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

OP, most people pay €30 a year for an AV so I used charge the same for the free MSE/AVG, I'd run a full scan with Malwarebytes & kill the Startup crap with CCleaner.
    I still do the odd one now & again.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Villain wrote: »
    I'm sure there is a need for the service but it's not a simple service to offer, firstly most Irish people don't think you are working unless you are sweating and physically doing something so trying to get paid for a quick 10 minute fix isn't simple.

The other issue is you fix one thing and in their minds you assume responsibility for anything that happens the pc for the next 6 months, e.g. someones sound is fecked you fix the sound card and give it a quick cleanup then the following week their wifi connection stops working and they call saying "whatever you did the wireless has stopped working now". My reply to that is if someone fixed your washing machine and the dishwasher stopped working a week later would you blame them?

I used to do a good bit of bits and pieces when I was younger but I avoid it at all costs now, god knows family have enough bits to keep me busy after work!

If you are going to do it have a minimum charge and cost per hour, if you want to PM me your number and I can pass it on to those who ask me.

I would be very wary of people coming back down the road giving grief tryint o blame you for something thats not your fault thats why i was tryimg top stay away from laptop hardware repairs because there are usually more than one thing thats going to go wrong with them

Advertisement