Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick and tired of this.

Options
  • 28-04-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi everyone
    I have a different story to everyone else. I am married and living in my house with my partner coming up to four years now. I am 27 and my husband is 34. We are both in permanent employment. We got our mortgage with permanent TSB 4 years ago.

This is our story. We bought our house in a small rural town in Tipperary and its a 3 bedroom semi detached house. Four months after we moved in, a convicted criminal with a history in drugs and manslaughter moved in right beside our house, ie the house attached to us. We paid no attention and made no fuss as wen thought it best to give him benefit of doubt especially after numerous garda raids etc. However all this has now come to a head with me and my husband being threatened and intimidated in our own home. He believes we called the gardai. He thinks this as he had numerous people looking for him and brojke down his front and back door to his house almost a month ago. Me and my husband were woken by this and we looked out our front window and we were spotted b y these thugs.

Since then the gardai have visited us on a number of occasions and this thug has made several serious threats since then. He will deal with rats, he is going to kill us and will shut us up etc. We have had visits from his gang members and they also have made threats against us. We have young thugs masturbating outside our front window.We went to a solicitor who told us we have no choice but to continue paying our mortgage. Also spoke to the gardai who said to lodge a formal complaint which is all i need but to start a war with this guy.

We are going to move out AND default on our mortgage. Obviously we dont want to do this as this is our home. Talking to the landlord this guy rents off isnt an option as we think he would portray the complaint back to this guy. And rallying the neigjhbours together isnt an option either. All the families have left and there are only scumbags left, who by the way he supplies his drugs to.We spoke to the bank who also refused to help us. What options are there for us? If Any?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Moved to Accom & Property from AH.

Typical AH responses (although very good) deleted before move.

You should get more serious answers in this forum OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Why do you need a solicitor to tell you that you have to pay your mortgage??

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angelbabie

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Why do you need a solicitor to tell you that you have to pay your mortgage??

HIYA.

i know i have to pay my mortgage and have no problem in doing so except for my current situation. when i mocve out i wont be able to pay mortgage and pay rent. its not feasible. And i cannot stay where i am as we are in a desperate situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Moved to Accom & Property from AH.

Typical AH responses (although very good) deleted before move.

You should get more serious answers in this forum OP.

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

angelbabie wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I have a different story to everyone else. I am married and living in my house with my partner coming up to four years now. I am 27 and my husband is 34. We are both in permanent employment. We got our mortgage with permanent TSB 4 years ago.

This is our story. We bought our house in a small rural town in Tipperary and its a 3 bedroom semi detached house. Four months after we moved in, a convicted criminal with a history in drugs and manslaughter moved in right beside our house, ie the house attached to us. We paid no attention and made no fuss as wen thought it best to give him benefit of doubt especially after numerous garda raids etc. However all this has now come to a head with me and my husband being threatened and intimidated in our own home. He believes we called the gardai. He thinks this as he had numerous people looking for him and brojke down his front and back door to his house almost a month ago. Me and my husband were woken by this and we looked out our front window and we were spotted b y these thugs.

Since then the gardai have visited us on a number of occasions and this thug has made several serious threats since then. He will deal with rats, he is going to kill us and will shut us up etc. We have had visits from his gang members and they also have made threats against us. We have young thugs masturbating outside our front window.We went to a solicitor who told us we have no choice but to continue paying our mortgage. Also spoke to the gardai who said to lodge a formal complaint which is all i need but to start a war with this guy.

We are going to move out AND default on our mortgage. Obviously we dont want to do this as this is our home. Talking to the landlord this guy rents off isnt an option as we think he would portray the complaint back to this guy. And rallying the neigjhbours together isnt an option either. All the families have left and there are only scumbags left, who by the way he supplies his drugs to.We spoke to the bank who also refused to help us. What options are there for us? If Any?:mad:

OP, sorry to hear about your situation but why are you going to default on your mortgage??? why dont u rent out your property and move somewhere else, cant see you getting another mortgage again in this country if you default

The culture of just running away from your problems and defaulting on your debts is beginning to run rife in this country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Why dont you try rent out your house and then you can move out and rent somewhere else also but get your mortgage paid for you, if you dont want to go down the private rental market you can always rent to the social welfare and they then use your house as social housing but pay you for it, I cant remember the name of the scheme , its not rent allowance but it might be RAS go down to your local office and enquire.

Its a crap situation that you are in OP, and its a shame that one scumbag can do this to a neighbourhood and the guards wont do anything unless you are physically assaulted, unfortunately it is the law of the land...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

HIYA.

i know i have to pay my mortgage and have no problem in doing so except for my current situation. when i mocve out i wont be able to pay mortgage and pay rent. its not feasible. And i cannot stay where i am as we are in a desperate situation
    Is renting your existing property an option, not necessarily to cover the mortgage but it may neutralize the rent on any property you decide to move into?

hi guys. tried the council to either or buy the property but they have no budget to do either so thats not an option. in the last week 6 properties in the same estate have rented out their house so its seems that there is a flood of people moving and hence why i think i wont get anyone to rent.....

foleypio wrote: »
    OP, sorry to hear about your situation but why are you going to default on your mortgage??? why dont u rent out your property and move somewhere else, cant see you getting another mortgage again in this country if you default

The culture of just running away from your problems and defaulting on your debts is beginning to run rife in this country

im not running away frommy problems. this obviously would be the last option. but i dont see a way out!

dont be so negative if 6 people have moved and rented out their places why cant you rent yours out privately

you have a choice, you can try rent out your house OR not

• Advertisement

edellc wrote: »
    dont be so negative if 6 people have moved and rented out their places why cant you rent yours out privately

you have a choice, you can try rent out your house OR not

hi there.I never said those houses got tenants. The houses were put up for rent but no one has moved in.YET. anyway.I am looking for helpful advice, not people to be condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, I really sympathise with your problem, I would hate to find myself in your situation and it must be very stressful. The posters making smart and unhelpful remarks are just sounding off - and I guarantee they are not paying a mortgage. You can bet these keyboard warriors would be the first to 'run away' given those sort of problems.

I cannot offer any useful advice, just to agree that renting is probably all you can do.

I wasnt trying to be smart of unhelpful but you did say in your post that

in the last week 6 properties in the same estate have rented out their house

this implies that they houses have been rented out :confused: as in gotten tenants

so therefore you then saying

in the last week 6 properties in the same estate have rented out their house so its seems that there is a flood of people moving and hence why i think i wont get anyone to rent.....

seems to contradict the beginning of your sentenance

So if you imply that the properties have been rented out and a flood of people are moving then it is only natural to assume that it is in fact you being a defeatist in saying that you wont get anyone to rent

Now that you have clarified that these properties have been put on the rental market but as yet no tenants have been found then that is another matter

and less of the attitude OP if you had of made yourself clear in the first place, as their is a difference between rented out their houses and put up for rent

If you have that attitude with your neighbour I can see why you are having problems :rolleyes:

edellc wrote: »
    I wasnt trying to be smart of unhelpful but you did say in your post that

in the last week 6 properties in the same estate have rented out their house

this implies that they houses have been rented out :confused: as in gotten tenants

so therefore you then saying

in the last week 6 properties in the same estate have rented out their house so its seems that there is a flood of people moving and hence why i think i wont get anyone to rent.....

seems to contradict the beginning of your sentenance

So if you imply that the properties have been rented out and a flood of people are moving then it is only natural to assume that it is in fact you being a defeatist in saying that you wont get anyone to rent

Now that you have clarified that these properties have been put on the rental market but as yet no tenants have been found then that is another matter

and less of the attitude OP if you had of made yourself clear in the first place, as their is a difference between rented out their houses and put up for rent

If you have that attitude with your neighbour I can see why you are having problems :rolleyes:

OUCH!!!!! I thought u were being condescending. So i apologise for that and also not being very clear. Yes the houses have gone up for rent but no tenants yet! I rally am at a loss as what to do. I dont really deal with neighbour, dont have much to do with him, but am really concerned with the threats

I would be very concerned with the treats too OP that is no way for anyone to have to live their lives in their own home which they thought they would be in until old age takes them, so it is a horrible situation to be in

I see that you have four choices

the first is to install hidden cameras to record the behaviour out side your window and any threats that happen, this can in turn be shown to the guards to show that intimidation is going one....however this is risky as it could either escalate the matter or in the best case get him an ASBO and maybe he will leave (but lets face it those type of people are stubborn A-holes)

The second is as you suggested you walk away and deal with the consequences of the bank...again not a nice option and again the a-hole wins

The third is to put the place up for rent and move out and rent somewhere else, again like the last option your mortgage may not be paid until it is rented but what are the banks going to do about it, and at least your and your husband are safe that is the priority...again a-hole wins

Or the last option is stay put and hope for the best

I know that my and my families safety are the priority and if I was in your shoes I would move out, if the intimation is as bad as you say its not worth it, put the place up for rent and see what happens, look at the other properties in the estate and see what they are going for and if you can go 50euro lower it may be the tipping point....one other thing if you are putting it for rent then try use an agent to let it out and manage it once let out so you do not have to deal with the neighbour and all the complications of being a landlord

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

OP I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles, I'll include you in my prayers tonight. But, if I was you, I'd move out, even to one of your parents' or siblings houses, rent your own place at rock bottom (just to have someone in it), contimue paying the mtge, but try and sell the house asap. This situation wont last forever, even if you have to make sacrifices for a couple of years, stick with it. That scumbag will go somewhere else eventually, a different house, jail, or maybe he'll be killed. Rent or move around B+B's, even take a loss on selling your place and start again. Move somewhere else and put this behind you. Dont do anything illegal or hasty that might cause you problems in future, but do move, continue paying the mtge, and start over somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Go to the landlord and get him moved out. Stay elsewhere until he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Go to the landlord and get him moved out. Stay elsewhere until he goes.

Thats really your only choice OP.
    I've seen this sort of thing before and the criminal always wins.
    Police wont do anything. Nobody can stand up to a criminal unless they are prepared to go further than the criminal, which is unlikely.
    Criminals are immune from any punishment unless its from another criminal. They wont even get jail for something a normal Joe Soap would get jail for.
    They just laugh at a visit from the guards.

If you rent they will drive your tenants out for sure.

They will destroy your house when its empty.

Find a nice guard. Ask him to talk to the landlord for you, explaining that its in his best interests to remove this person.

Pay the landlord a few thousand to evict him if you have to. Landlord can say he is selling the house or moving a relative in.

The one thing you have going for you is that at least they are only renting. Imagine they owned the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Thats really your only choice OP.
    I've seen this sort of thing before and the criminal always wins.
    Police wont do anything. Nobody can stand up to a criminal unless they are prepared to go further than the criminal, which is unlikely.
    Criminals are immune from any punishment unless its from another criminal. They wont even get jail for something a normal Joe Soap would get jail for.
    They just laugh at a visit from the guards.

If you rent they will drive your tenants out for sure.

They will destroy your house when its empty.

Find a nice guard. Ask him to talk to the landlord for you, explaining that its in his best interests to remove this person.

Pay the landlord a few thousand to evict him if you have to. Landlord can say he is selling the house or moving a relative in.

The one thing you have going for you is that at least they are only renting. Imagine they owned the house.

All good advice.

I also lived in an area like this before, I saw nice people forced out of there homes and a nice private neighbourhood turned into a modern council estate.

Scumbags took it over and guards, politicians did nothing.

I really feel for you OP.

My uncle and his wife still live there, place is full of scumbags and it changed him.

He got hard, nasty, not the quiet man he was before and it helped.

They just leave him alone now, he put up a higher wall in the front and all around the side of the house, a steel gate and a cctv camera.

He has a pet Rottweiler who he loves and is very protective and keeps people away from the house, he is huge and could clear the 6 foot gate with ease if he wanted to, but he wouldn't, he's a great.

I'm not saying you should higher your walls around the house, buy a huge guard dog and install cctv.

Just giving an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hi everyone

life is too short

just leave get a parent to open an account and keep you money /recieve yer wages in in that
    go bankrupt and let the bank have the nice neighbour

• Advertisement

yeah all yer advice is good. Unfortunately i think this guy is in the house for the long haul. the house is deffo not an council house but i think house could be leased by council so he is goin be there for ten years anyways. its just so annoying.we are just so pissed off we feel like just walking away. not the right way to go and im not saying we will do this, its just how we feel currently.

yeah all yer advice is good. Unfortunately i think this guy is in the house for the long haul. the house is deffo not an council house but i think house could be leased by council so he is goin be there for ten years anyways. its just so annoying.we are just so pissed off we feel like just walking away. not the right way to go and im not saying we will do this, its just how we feel currently.

That changes everything. His anti social behavour is the the councils problem then. Ask the friendly guard to talk to the council. They will have to evict him.

in the process of trying to determine for sure who owns the property. will find out for sure before i approach anybody.thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Check the PRTB register to see if it's listed there as a rented property
    https://www.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Check the PRTB register to see if it's listed there as a rented property
    https://www.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx

Thats great stuff. YEP house is rented privately.so how do i find out who the landlord is...guys ye are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

Sell up and buy a house somewhere else the place sounds like a kip.
    If you are afraid of threats ignore him as he is just a mouth.People who are going to kill you dont tell you.He will be in jail soon i bet but you should still move as the other neighbours sound just as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Thats great stuff. YEP house is rented privately.so how do i find out who the landlord is...guys ye are great

That's a toughy. Maybe ask the gardaí?

cookie1977 wrote: »
    That's a toughy. Maybe ask the gardaí?

gardai dont know either. They came asking us who the owner was.....if anyone has any ideas how i find out who the owner is let me know. at least i am getting somewheren with this

Tom Cruise wrote: »
    If you are afraid of threats ignore him as he is just a mouth.People who are going to kill you dont tell you.He will be in jail soon i bet but you should still move as the other neighbours sound just as bad

yeah it has turned nasty there now. when we bought it was a lovely rural neighbourhood. now i hate it. ni bought for 197,000 and now its not even worth 100,000. not allowed sell because of neg equity.

• Advertisement

Tom Cruise wrote: »

Did you read the Ops post. Its more than just talking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement