Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sallins/Naas to Live?

Options
  • 28-04-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Myself and the OH may be moving soon. We are currently in Portarlington, but I may have to commute to Blackrock EWD, and that commute would be too much every day. The OH works in Carlow so Sallins/Naas would be roughly half way and she'd have motorway all the way.

Basically I'm just wondering what are peoples opinions on each of the areas. From looking at daft the rent is significantly cheaper in Sallins. Also traffic would be a bit easier. I know Naas would have better amenities, but the rents seem very high.

Any info at all would be great. We took a spin around sallins today. Some of the areas arent great, but the area around the canal is very picturesque. They train to town would be beneficial also.

Thanks in advance for any information/opinions.

Regards,

Rob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Libra1

Train is in sallins so very handy if needed.

Nice pubs

Very near naas for some lovely restaurants.

What sports u into or clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Libra1 wrote: »
    Train is in sallins so very handy if needed.

Nice pubs

Very near naas for some lovely restaurants.

What sports u into or clubs?

Love my rugby (from Cork). Not fit though, have been hitting the gym for the past month though, and going to keep it up, so never know what I'll be able for in a few months.

What are the nice estates, estates to avoid etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Libra1

Well mature estates are best ie sallins park, sallins bridge ( larger hse) , castlesize.

However I think the hunterswood is solid built.. friend lives there and new solid build but not sure on parking.

Waterways was flooded yr ago but I think the works on the back rds at the mo is sorting the drainage.

But for a couple a terrace in sallins pier
    might work... Although on train line

Naas rugby on Dublin rd...naas. k leisure is on link rd from sallins to motorway..

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Live in Sallins myself. Osberstown Park/Court are the closest to the train station, 2 min walk. Sallins Wharf/Pier are close as well. These estates also closest to Naas. Good mature estates and never had any problems this side of the village. I was never that keen on the Clane side of the village.

Sallins also very handy for the N7 into Dublin. Way handier than much of Naas and particularily Naas south. Cut across by Naas golf club which takes 5 mins and you join the road at the Johnstown exit. Very handy coming out of Dublin as you avoid the traffic into Naas. Traffic on Dublin road and Monread road can be heavy.

Well mature estates are best ie sallins park, sallins bridge ( larger hse) , castlesize.

However I think the hunterswood is solid built.. friend lives there and new solid build but not sure on parking.

Waterways was flooded yr ago but I think the works on the back rds at the mo is sorting the drainage.

Naas rugby on Dublin rd...naas. k leisure is on link rd from sallins to motorway..

Cheers for this, Handy to know the good areas.
    To Alcohol wrote: »
    Live in Sallins myself. Osberstown Park/Court are the closest to the train station, 2 min walk. Sallins Wharf/Pier are close as well. These estates also closest to Naas. Good mature estates and never had any problems this side of the village. I was never that keen on the Clane side of the village.

Sallins also very handy for the N7 into Dublin. Way handier than much of Naas and particularily Naas south. Cut across by Naas golf club which takes 5 mins and you join the road at the Johnstown exit. Very handy coming out of Dublin as you avoid the traffic into Naas. Traffic on Dublin road and Monread road can be heavy.

This is great thank you, the traffic information is very useful.

• Advertisement

Was it just waterways that flooded? Is there anywhere else in Sallins Prone to flooding. We had a burst pipe in the attic last christmas so anxious to avoid anymore internal water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Only the waterways flooded that time due to a blocked culvert under the railway which has since been fixed.

Best estates would be Sallins Bridge, Sallins Wood, Sallins Wharf, Straffan Way, Sallins Park and Castlesize. Hunterswood also but they call it Naas because the road entrance is outside village. Lived here 14 years....never any problems. It feels like a suburb of Naas as they are so close, especially since Tesco opened on Monread.

Only the waterways flooded that time due to a blocked culvert under the railway which has since been fixed.

Best estates would be Sallins Bridge, Sallins Wood, Sallins Wharf, Straffan Way, Sallins Park and Castlesize. Hunterswood also but they call it Naas because the road entrance is outside village. Lived here 14 years....never any problems. It feels like a suburb of Naas as they are so close, especially since Tesco opened on Monread.

Cheers for that. Handy information to know.

If theres anything else ye can think of please let me know.What are the pubs like? Takeaways? Any decent restaurants? etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

budhabob wrote: »
    Was it just waterways that flooded? Is there anywhere else in Sallins Prone to flooding. We had a burst pipe in the attic last christmas so anxious to avoid anymore internal water :)

That problem was fixed in the Waterways.

Depending where you live in Naas, amenities such as K leisure can be quicker to get to from Sallins.
    In the Waterways you will also be living next to a good supervalue/chemist and a 5 min walk from Tesco Extra. Not many in Naas have that handyness .

If you are into nightlife and pubs then Naas is much better than sallins. Taxi drivers take the micky out of us charging around 10 to get home from naas.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    That problem was fixed in the Waterways.

Depending where you live in Naas, amenities such as K leisure can be quicker to get to from Sallins.
    In the Waterways you will also be living next to a good supervalue/chemist and a 5 min walk from Tesco Extra. Not many in Naas have that handyness .

If you are into nightlife and pubs then Naas is much better than sallins. Taxi drivers take the micky out of us charging around 10 to get home from naas.

Great thanks. We are leaning towards Sallins. We rather the smaller town to massive town. But having all the amenities just over the road would be great. Now just to get some time together to view places and find somewhere nice to live.

• Advertisement

Hi Again,

Does anyone have any experience of Oldbridge, Osberstown? Possible nice house there but that estate hasnt been mentioned yet I think.

Regards,

Rob

Anyone see that Prime Time program on prostitution? Sallins was heavily featured.... Dunno if i could live somewhere with so many prostitutes, pimps and drug dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Anyone see that Prime Time program on prostitution? Sallins was heavily featured.... Dunno if i could live somewhere with so many prostitutes, pimps and drug dealers.

Slight over reaction I think!

This is happening everywhere! There are no 'prostitutes, pimps and drug dealers' hanging around street corners in Sallins. That's what made it so shocking. This is going on unnoticed in towns country wide....yes, Sallins was focused on recently. Last year, the focus was on every major festival (Galway races, Ploughing Championship etc). Prostitution is a problem for the whole of Ireland!

OP, Sallins is a lovely place to live! Nice canal walks, good amenities either side in Naas and Clane, and good transport options.

sadie06 wrote: »
    Slight over reaction I think!

This is happening everywhere! There are no 'prostitutes, pimps and drug dealers' hanging around street corners in Sallins. That's what made it so shocking. This is going on unnoticed in towns country wide....yes, Sallins was focused on recently. Last year, the focus was on every major festival (Galway races, Ploughing Championship etc). Prostitution is a problem for the whole of Ireland!

OP, Sallins is a lovely place to live! Nice canal walks, good amenities either side in Naas and Clane, and good transport options.

Cheers, I think the above poster is a total overreaction too. Every town I've lived in has had some form of reputation, and I never came across any negative element. So I wouldnt pay too much attention to that. Have you any knowledge of Oldbridge?

It seems like a nice, quiet estate. We nearly bought there ourselves. I've never heard anything bad about it at all!

It depends on what you want. Where we ended up had the garden size we wanted (husband is a gardening nut) but is probably a less solid build (slight noise issues) than Oldbridge.

In all our searching, we discovered that you can't have it all!

sadie06 wrote: »
    It seems like a nice, quiet estate. We nearly bought there ourselves. I've never heard anything bad about it at all!

It depends on what you want. Where we ended up had the garden size we wanted (husband is a gardening nut) but is probably a less solid build (slight noise issues) than Oldbridge.

In all our searching, we discovered that you can't have it all!

Cheers for this. To be honest we're mainly looking for somewhere quiet and comfortable to rent. We really like Sallins from the point of view of it not being massive but being close to everything you could possibly need.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd never go to Dublin. Full of heroin addicts...
    I'd never go to Belfast, I'd be blown up..
    I'd never go to London, I'd be shot by gangs...
    I'd never go to LA. Full of crack heads..

If we believed everything we saw/read..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

One town featured in the TV programme about organised prostitution, the other didn't. I don't live near either but I would pick Naas as it has far more than Sallins.

Train from Sallins isn't a whole lot of use for Blackrock as you have get the Luas at Heuston over to Connolly and then DART to Blackrock. That makes for a very long commute.

Maynooth is a 20 minute drive from Sallins, and has a much better *far cheaper* train service into Connolly for interchange with the DART.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Maynooth is a 20 minute drive from Sallins, and has a much better *far cheaper* train service into Connolly for interchange with the DART.

Very true! And we considered Maynooth ourselves also. It is a great town, with lots of options for eating out etc BUT, having studied there for the last 3 years, I am very glad we didn't buy there. If you choose to live in a university town, you are always running the risk that you will end up living next door to a house full of students who party at any given opportunity.

As I said...you can't have it all!

n97 mini wrote: »
    One town featured in the TV programme about organised prostitution, the other didn't. I don't live near either but I would pick Naas as it has far more than Sallins.

Train from Sallins isn't a whole lot of use for Blackrock as you have get the Luas at Heuston over to Connolly and then DART to Blackrock. That makes for a very long commute.

Maynooth isnt an option as it would increase the OHs drive to Carlow for work. I will have to drive to work, the train is just for heading into town and avoiding parking and traffic. But it would offer an alternative means to work if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

budhabob wrote: »
    Maynooth isnt an option as it would increase the OHs drive to Carlow for work. I will have to drive to work, the train is just for heading into town and avoiding parking and traffic. But it would offer an alternative means to work if required.

It's a pity about Maynooth's distance from the N7 in this case. Would you consider Kill, I have family and friends here and in the other areas mentioned and would put them in the order of Kill,Naas and Sallins in preference. You'd still have the proximity of Naas for restaurants, the bus service seems ok and Sallins is just a short hop away for any prostitution needs.;)

The Mulk wrote: »
    Sallins is just a short hop away for any prostitution needs.;)

Get your own!:D

I love Kill! If we ever move, that will be where we move to!

The Mulk wrote: »
    It's a pity about Maynooth's distance from the N7 in this case. Would you consider Kill, I have family and friends here and in the other areas mentioned and would put them in the order of Kill,Naas and Sallins in preference. You'd still have the proximity of Naas for restaurants, the bus service seems ok and Sallins is just a short hop away for any prostitution needs.;)
    we looked at one house in kill but to be honest it wasn't a nice house.the village looked lovely though so its definitely an option.

Advertisement