Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options
  • 28-04-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Haven't seen a thread yet.

No news about our potential signings yet - how could there be - but in very disappointing news it looks as if Marin is going to Chelsea and Hazard to City. If we don't get CL football, which considering everything is likely, Bale and Modric will be off too. Bale probably to Barca and Modric to Chelsea/United.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

marin has signed for chelsea today from werner bremen. He said publicly that spurs were also interested but he chose chelsea.

we tried to sign him and are in for hazard - both modric type players. luca's exit must be guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well if Modric were to leave, Hazard would be a good replacement. He'd score more goals too. Still depends on whether we get CL next season. If we do, both Bale and Modric would probably stay. Not sure otherwise tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If villa go down, what about moving for Given?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

With Marin signing for chelsea it may mean they might cool their interest in modric,levys gonna play hard ball again with anyone that wants to sign him so expect this to drag on till deadline day.
    who knows whats going to happen with bale????who's going to pay 40 million for him?Real Madrid and Barca are the only teams that might pay it(i dont think levy would sell to man city)and with Pep gone and a new manager at Barca they might not even want him anymore...
    as for players coming in to the club during the summer,my guess is that we go back to the (not so)good old days of us bringing in 7/8 players for around 60 million when 3 or 4 quality signings for the same amount would be the better option.
    Prioritys will be 1 if not 2 center halfs,cover at left back,a right winger and if we sign ade permanently another striker,2 strikers if ade doesnt sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

BALE SAID ON FOOTBALL FOCUS IF SPURS FAIL TO GET CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HE WILL HAVE TO SIT DOWN AND THINK ABOUT HIS FUTURE.

sorry for caps lock i had it written out and wasnt gonna do it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

who knows whats going to happen with bale????who's going to pay 40 million for him?Real Madrid and Barca are the only teams that might pay it(i dont think levy would sell to man city)and with Pep gone and a new manager at Barca they might not even want him anymore...
    Barca are in need of a LB, and as much as I hate to say it, Bale would be an excellent fit at Barca. They lack width as well, which doubles the importance of some one like Bale. Imagine himself and Alves as full backs! I'm fully expecting a bid this summer from Barca, regardless of where we finish, but where we finish should determine whether or not we accept this bid, and also Bale's willingness to make the move happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

THFC wrote: »
    Barca are in need of a LB, and as much as I hate to say it, Bale would be an excellent fit at Barca. They lack width as well, which doubles the importance of some one like Bale. Imagine himself and Alves as full backs! I'm fully expecting a bid this summer from Barca, regardless of where we finish, but where we finish should determine whether or not we accept this bid, and also Bale's willingness to make the move happen.

Well he's under contract till 2015 so its not like he can run the clock down and leave for free,If Barca are willing to pay 40 million+ for a player who hasn't had a decent games since xmas then let him go,he owes us nothing money wise,bought for 10m sell for 40m.30m profit in the war chest for the new manager to bring in who he sees fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TobesYid

No point in forcing players to stay if they're not willing to play for us and are only thinking about a new, fat, juicy pay cheque someplace else.

Modric is a case in point, been particularly average since christmas, to my mind he looks like he's already gone.

Bale seems to be heading in the same direction unfortunately, as his comments today have had a negative effect for me.

Dependent on CL qualification will prob determine what level of player we'll be able to attract next season. A new manager will have to rebuild to some extent I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

keane=cock wrote: »
    BALE SAID ON FOOTBALL FOCUS IF SPURS FAIL TO GET CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HE WILL HAVE TO SIT DOWN AND THINK ABOUT HIS FUTURE.

sorry for caps lock i had it written out and wasnt gonna do it again!
    He could have waited until the end of the season to announce this ffs.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's not as bad as it sounds. The article makes it seem like that's all he said, but you know Bale, he spoke honestly enough and mentioned that he would be disappointed if the club doesn't make it into the CL and will need to have a think about things if it happens. That doesn't mean he wants to leave if Spurs don't make the CL, it just means that he'll be having a serious chat with Levy and co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

I think that this summer tranfer window will be very important in deciding whether the club pushes on or drops back into 5-8th positions in the league.

I also agree with the previous posts, that modric hasnt been playing well of late and he doesnt seem to have that drive/determination that he arrived at the club with. if a good enough offer comes along (40mil+), i reckon we should cash in on him. however i think we do need to hold onto bale and he would be easier to keep at the club.

the areas i think we need to strenghten are: centre back, right mid, centre/attacking mid(should modric leave), stricker.

i think we need to sell off some of the deadwood first to generate funds. the following need to go: gomes, nelsen(just not good enough), corluka, bentley, dos santos(although i feel he didnt get enough chances but would rather kranjcar), defoe or saha.

i'm unsure whether we should try and sign ade permanently, he is a good team player, works hard but he just doesnt score enough goals and has missed too many chances this season...thats just my view.

here are some players i would like to see us potentialy sign:
    stricker: leandro damiao(internacional)- we've been linked with him for a while now and i think he would be a quality signing. he's a great finisher, he's got pace, strenght and skill, can score with both feet and is good in the air. with bale and lennon on the wings, he would be a goal machine. i think he's averaged a goal a game over the past two seasons and is internacional's top goalscorer this season.

stricker: edinson cavani(napoli)- another who we've been linked with before. having watched him during the CL, i would be more than happy to sign him up. he is napoli's top goalscorer this season with 21 in 32 apps. i reckon he could bag us 20 a season. he wouldnt come cheap though.

stricker: fernando llorente(athletic bilbao)- quick, strong and has a very good goalscoring record. has scored at least 14 league goals per season in the past 4 season, not bad considering athletic are a mid-table side. would be a very good signing but again wouldnt come cheap.

other potential strickers: remy(marseille), rossi(villareal), podolski(koln)- be nice if we could nick him off arsenal

right mid: eljero elia(juventus)- has only made 3 apps in his first season there, could well be surplus to requirements. i remember him from the world cup, very quick and not afriad to take a man on. could be ideal backup/rotation for lennon.

centre mid: javi marquez(espanyol)- we've been linked recently and although not a starter, would be a very good squad player. scores the odd screamer. could be snapped up on a free transfer.

centre/attacking mid: joao moutinho(porto)- could be a possible replacement for modric. similar in style, a creative playmaker. solid for portugese league leaders porto this season.

centre back: jan vertonghen(ajax)- alot of clubs hav been linked with him, highly regarded young central defender. i dont know much about him, but he must be decent because of all the hype about him.

i also think that caulker will hav a part to play at CB in the future but he should be loaned out to swansea for next season to gain more experience. by the time thats done gallas prob wont hav the legs anymore.

thats all i can think of atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 pjoc

NEED GOALS FROM MID AND BACK OF THE PARK NONE THIS SEASON !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

nipps wrote: »
    I think that this summer tranfer window will be very important in deciding whether the club pushes on or drops back into 5-8th positions in the league.

I also agree with the previous posts, that modric hasnt been playing well of late and he doesnt seem to have that drive/determination that he arrived at the club with. if a good enough offer comes along (40mil+), i reckon we should cash in on him. however i think we do need to hold onto bale and he would be easier to keep at the club.

the areas i think we need to strenghten are: centre back, right mid, centre/attacking mid(should modric leave), stricker.

i think we need to sell off some of the deadwood first to generate funds. the following need to go: gomes, nelsen(just not good enough), corluka, bentley, dos santos(although i feel he didnt get enough chances but would rather kranjcar), defoe or saha.

i'm unsure whether we should try and sign ade permanently, he is a good team player, works hard but he just doesnt score enough goals and has missed too many chances this season...thats just my view.

stricker: leandro damiao(internacional)- we've been linked with him for a while now and i think he would be a quality signing. he's a great finisher, he's got pace, strenght and skill, can score with both feet and is good in the air. with bale and lennon on the wings, he would be a goal machine. i think he's averaged a goal a game over the past two seasons and is internacional's top goalscorer this season.

stricker: edinson cavani(napoli)- another who we've been linked with before. having watched him during the CL, i would be more than happy to sign him up. he is napoli's top goalscorer this season with 21 in 32 apps. i reckon he could bag us 20 a season. he wouldnt come cheap though.

stricker: fernando llorente(athletic bilbao)- quick, strong and has a very good goalscoring record. has scored at least 14 league goals per season in the past 4 season, not bad considering athletic are a mid-table side. would be a very good signing but again wouldnt come cheap.

other potential strickers: remy(marseille), rossi(villareal), podolski(koln)- be nice if we could nick him off arsenal

right mid: eljero elia(juventus)- has only made 3 apps in his first season there, could well be surplus to requirements. i remember him from the world cup, very quick and not afriad to take a man on. could be ideal backup/rotation for lennon.

centre mid: javi marquez(espanyol)- we've been linked recently and although not a starter, would be a very good squad player. scores the odd screamer. could be snapped up on a free transfer.

centre/attacking mid: joao moutinho(porto)- could be a possible replacement for modric. similar in style, a creative playmaker. solid for portugese league leaders porto this season.

centre back: jan vertonghen(ajax)- alot of clubs hav been linked with him, highly regarded young central defender. i dont know much about him, but he must be decent because of all the hype about him.

i also think that caulker will hav a part to play at CB in the future but he should be loaned out to swansea for next season to gain more experience. by the time thats done gallas prob wont hav the legs anymore.

By any chance would you like the position of manager once Harry ditches us ? Nice selection of players you have on a wish list !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

pjoc wrote: »
    NEED GOALS FROM MID AND BACK OF THE PARK NONE THIS SEASON !!!

bale, lennon, modric, bae and walker have all scored. thats 5 out of the 8. bale has double figures as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

nipps wrote: »

______________,__________,__________,_________,__________

spoilt-for-choice-sweetshop-bw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd like to try and get Moses. Any time I have seen him I have been nothing less then impressed.

I still think Torres would be worth go (he just scored) if the price was right.

Cabaye too maybe?

Chances are we are going to have a good few quid to spend if Bale and Lilac move on...

tippspur wrote: »
    He could have waited until the end of the season to announce this ffs.:(

gettting himself in the shop window i suppse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Silly season has started, linked today to robben, mexes and Jan verwhathisname from ajax.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Jan verwhathisname from ajax.

Heard he has a great left foot

Mullo76 wrote: »

i believe he has said spurs are interested

• Advertisement

keane=cock wrote: »
    Mullo76 wrote: »

i believe he has said spurs are interested

Sure they all say that. Eden hazard springs to mind and there's no chance of him signing for us.

Spurs fan Jan’s the White man

The powerful 25-year-old Ajax defender is out of contract in a year and his club hope to create an auction to up the fee.
    But 6ft 2in Vertonghen has told the Dutch champions he has set his heart on moving to Spurs.
    His agent Mustapha Nakhli confirmed: “There is enormous interest. A number of clubs have made concrete approaches, with Tottenham among them.
    “Jan has a few dream clubs. Playing at the top of the Premier League is something he has worked really hard for.”
    Vertonghen, who will be named Ajax’s Player of the Year on Monday, was initially tipped to join Arsenal because of his close friendship with Belgium team-mate Thomas Vermaelen.
    Ajax are stubbornly refusing to accept the White Hart Lane club’s offer so Vertonghen — who admits he is a Spurs fan — has threatened to sit tight for a year and walk out for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

its on SSN now:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7725374/Spurs-an-option-for-Vertonghen

i just hope levy can get a deal done quickly so no other clubs can get in there before us...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Sorry but I think there is very little sense being talked on this thread. Nobody seems to realise how the transfer market works.

People are saying Spurs should get in quality signings. Thats not gonna happen unless we pay top wages and are in the Champions League. I know we got in Van Der Vaart recently but that was a freak signing, not likely to happen again in a hurry.

I can't believe people think Adebayor isn't good enough for us, in reality he is probably out of our league.

We have the financal muscle to bid for the likes of Vertonghen and Hazard, but if a bigger club comes in offering them top wages we have no chance.

If we let Modric or Bale go we will have to replace them with inferior players. I guarantee that.

I think Moses would be a decent signing as backup for Lennon or Bale.

I think we should sell Defoe and get in a striker who can contribute to our passing game.

Looking forward to seeing how Steven Caulker does next season.

We need a goalie.

Hey Hey, hang on a sec - this is where I come to live out my spurs fantasys and escape the hum-drum of daily life. We can dream can't we!

Hey Hey, hang on a sec - this is where I come to live out my spurs fantasys and escape the hum-drum of daily life. We can dream can't we!

Haha, ok you're right, my mistake, shame on me, please continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Looking at the squad as it stands we need to add an attacking midfielder who can play on either wing and in the VDV role behind a striker. A new striker and CB are also required.

More than particular positions though I think we need to add some leadership to the squad. A couple of players who will lead by example when our backs are to the wall.. too often I feel that we are on the brink of a collapse when the opposition puts on some pressure.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Looking at the squad as it stands we need to add an attacking midfielder who can play on either wing and in the VDV role behind a striker. A new striker and CB are also required.

More than particular positions though I think we need to add some leadership to the squad. A couple of players who will lead by example when our backs are to the wall.. too often I feel that we are on the brink of a collapse when the opposition puts on some pressure.

I don't think we've ever had so many leaders in the squad. Natural leaders like Daws, Nelsen, Ledley, Friedel and Parker, coupled with players who are experienced at the highest level like Rafa and Gallas.

Sandro and Kaboul look like they could lead us into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Our scouting system, do they actually do anything? When was the last time a hidden gem was discovered?

I reckon they just read the tattle from the back pages and report back to Harry about who’s available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Our scouting system, do they actually do anything? When was the last time a hidden gem was discovered?

I reckon they just read the tattle from the back pages and report back to Harry about who’s available.
    Sandro and walker were good finds walker was only playing a couple months for Sheffield united when we signed him.

Advertisement