Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Yes new rules.

Seriously? Ah ****...i thought we had ages yet.

Looks like Vertonghen is on his way back to Ajax. Definitely a missed opportunity if true.
    Jan Vertonghen is reported to be on his way back to Amsterdam for pre-season training with Ajax after a potential deal Tottenham Hotspur collapsed.

With still no one filling the void of Harry Redknapp’s departure, the bosses at Tottenham are battling hard to keep alive a £9.6m move for the 25-year old central defender.

The deal looked certain a couple of weeks ago, but Ajax are suddenly refusing to accept a clause in the Belgian’s contract entitling him to 15 per cent of the fee.

The player said: “As it looks now, I’ll be at Ajax on July 2. I’m hoping for a solution, but I’m not expecting a solution.

“This is a shame. I thought that it would be sorted out much sooner.

“I have one advantage: Ajax have got a good coach who knows me. I play in a good, stable squad. Let’s become champions with Ajax for the third time in a row.”

Although Vertonghen is settled in Ajax and has a close bond with the team, he was excited by the prospect of a move to the Premier League. Since this transfer debacle he has lost a little bit of faith in his club.

He goes on: “I’m shocked. The percentage is correct. It’s unbelievable.

“I know that at Ajax a lot of things are leaking. When you hear it about other football players, you don’t feel it. It’s different when it’s about yourself.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/jan-vertonghen-transfer-to-tottenham-falls-through-7893080.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Kiith wrote: »
    Looks like Vertonghen is on his way back to Ajax. Definitely a missed opportunity if true.

De Boer saying, today, that it'll be done...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/462/netherlands/2012/06/27/3203865/vertonghen-very-close-to-tottenham-move-says-ajax-boss-de?

I suspect it to be done too. It's in everyone's best interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Now Football ‏@Now__Football
    Done Deal: Vedran Corluka has left Tottenham to sign for Lokomotiv Moscow on a three-year deal. #thfc

Probably best for us and him that he's moved on. Good luck Vedran.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Seriously? Ah ****...i thought we had ages yet.

Boom, hook, line and sinker :D

• Advertisement

tumblr_lwstpnKoLt1qj4b9to1_500.gif

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Saab Ed wrote: »

Wow, very pleased and surprised by this. He obviously knows who the manager is and is happy with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

SuprSi wrote: »
    Saab Ed wrote: »

Wow, very pleased and surprised by this. He obviously knows who the manager is and is happy with him.

I'm surprised this was announced so soon. I was told it wasn't going to be announced till the new manager was in place. Maybe that's taken a leap forward too.

How much did we get for Charlie ?

• Advertisement

wikipedia says £5.5m

wikipedia says £5.5m

If so, not bad.

peanuts really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

peanuts really.

you think? Charlie is ****e , great bobs imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Spurs should go after Moutinho from Portugal. Ideal Modric replacement. Looks a real class act. AVB might be able to swing it.

I was watching him tonight and he looks class, though I wonder if he's more like Sandro/Parker than Modric? Seems to play quite deep and is very good at breaking play up, but I don't know if he's as good further forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

A lot of rumours that either ENIC has sold out or that the naming rights have been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

A lot of rumours that either ENIC has sold out or that the naming rights have been sold.

Have you a link to any of these rumours?

celt262 wrote: »
    Have you a link to any of these rumours?
    Dear Mr Levy
    http://www.dearmrlevy.com/dml/2012/6/27/go-on-then-lets-flirt-with-a-very-reliable-source.html

Also on talksport in the UK this morning first heard about it on twitter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Dear Mr Levy
    http://www.dearmrlevy.com/dml/2012/6/27/go-on-then-lets-flirt-with-a-very-reliable-source.html

Also on talksport in the UK this morning first heard about it on twitter though.

Thanks for that but where does it say that ENIC are selling?

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Thanks for that but where does it say that ENIC are selling?
    The new Investor is supposed to be buying out ENIC but that is only one version of it alternatively I have heard that the new investor is just buying the naming rights to the new stadium.

Dear Mr Levy

I like some of the rumours from that post.
    Some ITK news for you from a VERY reliable source:
    Vertonghen WILL be a Spurs player come July 1st
    Sig WILL be a Spurs player come July 1st
    Loic Remy WILL be a spurs player come July 10th (delays in agreeing terms)
    Modric WILL be sold to Real Madrid (?30m + Sahin) by July 9th
    AVB WILL be Spurs manager on July 1st
    we WILL be signing with our MAJOR sponsor/investor for naming rights on July 15th
    Stadium work WILL be commencing July 27th after the signing of the final contracts.
    2 x more MAJOR signings WILL be made before July 18th

Some of it's probabably/definitely bull****, but if only it was all true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I really hope we don't get Remy, can't see him being a success at the quoted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

The Modric for £30m and Sahin is bull**** according to Sahin...

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/903538-nuri-sahin-squashes-chance-of-spurs-switch-with-real-madrid-pledge?

Few bits an pieces in the twitter and news sphere.
    Vertoghen supposedly sorted out his issues with Ajax clearing the way for him to sign. - Twitter
    Siggurdsson medical passed and contract signed -SSN
    Chasing after internacional and brazillian playmaker Oscar - Twitter
    Alan Brazil has news to blow our socks off announcing it on Wednesday - talksport

Last one could be player manager or possibly stadium related!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Things are looking on the up now.

Sig, Vert and AVB look like done deals fingers crossed.

Looks like we can shift Bentley, Gallas and Gio too. Levy seems to be doing good business so far. Modric is only a matter of time before he is gone but I'd say it could drag out for a while until Levy bleeds the most out of Madrid for him. Modric is top drawer but if we lose him we just need to alter the formation.

If AVB comes in I dont know if we need to replace Modric based on the formation style he seems to like - 4-2-3-1.

I can see the starting line up looking something like

............................Brad
    Walker..........Vert...............Kaboul...................Benny
    .....................Parker..........Sandro
    Lennon.........................VDV.............................Bale
    ..................................Ade(assuming he resigns)

I think if Huddlestone is fit for the start of the season and Jenas returns and doesn't leave they can rotate with the two holding mid's. VDV and Sig to rotate also depending on form. With Dawson and maybe King for the odd game we have good cover at centre half too.

Where does that leave us - Defoe is the only striker on the books and I cant see him starting as a lone striker role for us, so getting strikers should now become the priority. Hopefully Ade resigns but wages could be an issue. I don't see Sig as being an up top man on his own but some people may disagree. I think we also need some cover out wide in defence and in mid. We need another wide player who is fairly decent and can rotate with Lennon/Bale, Affelay would be perfect but cant see it happening. The two wide lads seemed to burn out from being overplayed last season due to no rotation policy. Same sort of cover required for full backs I think. Brad for one more season, younger blood needed then.

From the young lads coming up Id like to see Tom Carroll get a few games and maybe time for Harry Kane to step up in Europe and Cup games. Hopefully we can get rid of Rose, not one of my favourite players to say the least.

Thats my view on things, I'm sure many have different views but who cares bring on the new season and lets get behind the team with some positivity:) COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Didn't King retire? Anyway, getting excited now by all the rumours, hopefully it all comes to fruition though. Hopefully by this time next week we'll know alot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Looks like King has been released and has not retired

• Advertisement

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...pur?CMP=twt_gu

Tottenham Hotspur expect to unveil André Villas-Boas as their manager this week and his appointment is set to spark a frenzied period of transfer activity at White Hart Lane in preparation for the new Premier League season.

Negotiations are ongoing with Villas‑Boas and his representative but are considered close to resolution. The Portuguese is now contractually free to take up the reins at another English club following his dismissal as Chelsea manager in March. It is anticipated the 34-year-old will sign a three-year contract at Spurs and could be confirmed in position on Tuesday.

Villas-Boas's backroom team will include José Mario Rocha and Daniel Sousato, key members of his staff during his glittering season at Porto and his ill‑fated stint at Stamford Bridge, following the departures of Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan from the coaching team at Tottenham last week. The manager will arrive keen to re-establish his reputation having been dismissed by Chelsea nine months into a three-year deal with the team outside the Champions League places and the manager having met resistance in the dressing room for the changes he was attempting to impose.

A busy summer reshaping the squad left by Harry Redknapp awaits. Villas-Boas is expected to be followed to the club by Gylfi Sigurdsson, the goalscoring Icelandic midfielder who impressed while on loan at Swansea City for the second half of last season, from Hoffenheim for £8m. The manager also hopes to conclude deals for the Internacional midfielder Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Junior, 20, and the Belgium defender Jan Vertonghen, at around £9.5m, despite the player still negotiating the terms of his release from Ajax.

Those deals will reflect the considerable financial backing to be provided by the chairman, Daniel Levy, to ensure Spurs remain challengers next season. The club have been buoyed by Gareth Bale signing a new four-year contract worth £70,000 a week – an indication in itself that the dressing room are behind Villas-Boas's appointment – though it remains to be seen whether a deal with Manchester City for Emmanuel Adebayor can be thrashed out given the Togo forward's wage demands. He earns £170,000 a week at the Etihad Stadium, an amount Spurs cannot match.

The England striker Jermain Defoe, who endured something of a bit-part role with the club last season, will be retained but Giovanni dos Santos is due to join Malaga and Spurs are braced for a transfer request from Luka Modric, who is agitating for Champions League football, though they will resist selling the Croatia midfielder to another Premier League team. Manchester United and Chelsea have been interested and Real Madrid are also admirers.

Advertisement