Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Ormus wrote: »
    Demba Ba and Junior Hoilett.

These are two shouts I like. I think Ba has a £7m buy-out clause, not 100% though.

Things have gone very quiet with Junior Hoilett - he was being linked to everyone in the second half of the season. Isn't is contract up this Summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I can definetly see Bale playing up front if Ade gets injured and playing someone like Townsend or Carroll on the wing for a match or two but you wouldn't want it to be for very long.

Really? God I hope not. What makes you think that? I'd be very surprised if Bale was able to play the lone striker role. Plus we would miss him on the wing.

I don't think Townsend is Premiership standard. He struggled to get regular games in the Championship for Ipswich and Leeds.

Carroll is a central midfielder who has been known to play on the right.

Isn't is contract up this Summer?

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/904834-junior-hoilett-transfer-newcastle-and-qpr-open-talks-with-wanted-winger?
    Hoilett is a free agent after leaving Blackburn at the end of his contract last month and has had no shortage of interest after sparkling for Rovers last season.

He seems ideal for us with stats like this...
    The 22-year-old winger, who can also play up front, scored seven goals in 34 matches last term and grabbed six assists.

These are two shouts I like. I think Ba has a £7m buy-out clause, not 100% though.

Things have gone very quiet with Junior Hoilett - he was being linked to everyone in the second half of the season. Isn't is contract up this Summer?

I think Blackburn want a few million for him even though he is out of contract, for having brought him through the youths. Not sure how that works or if they're entitled to compensation.

It's also possible he is asking for hefty wages or signing on fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Really? God I hope not. What makes you think that? I'd be very surprised if Bale was able to play the lone striker role. Plus we would miss him on the wing.

I don't think Townsend is Premiership standard. He struggled to get regular games in the Championship for Ipswich and Leeds.

Carroll is a central midfielder who has been known to play on the right.
    Bale has the physicallity and the ability to play the channels although his finishing isn't as good as Ade's he'd have a better work rate.

last season for Derby Carroll played LM and Townsend had a decent spell for Birmingham as a LW but he might be going back there.

I would say Danny Rose could play the position or maybe fryers but I think Rose might go on Loan as well.

I don't know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Steffen Freund is our new Assistant Head Coach, welcome back!

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/club-announcement-110712.page

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I just created a thread about this. I'm not sure where this has come from as I don't see how AVB would know anything about him. Could this be a Levy appointment?

Bale has the physicallity and the ability to play the channels although his finishing isn't as good as Ade's he'd have a better work rate.

last season for Derby Carroll played LM and Townsend had a decent spell for Birmingham as a LW but he might be going back there.

I would say Danny Rose could play the position or maybe fryers but I think Rose might go on Loan as well.

I don't know!

Bale may have the ability but he has no experience and it would be an awful waste of his running ability to have him with his back to goal.

I have never seen Carroll play on the left so can't comment.

Townsend to me has always looked tricky and nothing else. Barely a Championship player.

I also think Danny Rose will eventually settle in the Championship.

Fryers is still a United player as far as I know.

Of the players we have at the moment I think Pienaar and Bentley are the only viable alternatives to our first choice wingers. Pienaar isn't exactly a winger but can play wide midfield.

Bale may have the ability but he has no experience and it would be an awful waste of his running ability to have him with his back to goal.

I have never seen Carroll play on the left so can't comment.

Townsend to me has always looked tricky and nothing else. Barely a Championship player.

I also think Danny Rose will eventually settle in the Championship.

Fryers is still a United player as far as I know.

Of the players we have at the moment I think Pienaar and Bentley are the only viable alternatives to our first choice wingers. Pienaar isn't exactly a winger but can play wide midfield.

Oh I forgot about GDS! Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Fee agreed with City for Adebayor according to Sky, excellent news.

http://m.skysports.com/article/football//7895538

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

THFC wrote: »
    Fee agreed with City for Adebayor according to Sky, excellent news.

http://m.skysports.com/article/football//7895538

It'll be interesting to see what sort of money he's getting.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what sort of money he's getting.

I doubt the club will tell us but the media will certainly have a guess.

He is likely to be the highest paid player at the club and get a hefty signing on fee.

I can see this grating with a lot of fans, with his languid style and him not being our best player. I still think he is very important for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I can see this grating with a lot of fans, with his languid style and him not being our best player. I still think he is very important for us.
    17 goals & 11 assists in the EPL last season was a great return for his first season. Let's hope it continues! COYS!

Obviously, it goes without saying that he was a breath of fresh air last season and having a striker who could control the ball in one touch was brilliant - but...

... I have a small bit of fear regarding Adebayor - might we see him take his foot off the pedal now that he has got his permanent deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I would imagine with a deal such as what Ade got that Levy has various stipulations inserted as to Ade's attitude, performenace etc. Would be foolish not to.

In Levy we trust................:o

Obviously, it goes without saying that he was a breath of fresh air last season and having a striker who could control the ball in one touch was brilliant - but...

... I have a small bit of fear regarding Adebayor - might we see him take his foot off the pedal now that he has got his permanent deal?

It's possible yeah, but I think that some fans will decide that he has taken his foot off the pedal either way. Fans expect a guy on 100k plus a week to be haring after the ball like a man possessed. Adebayor won't be doing that.

I remember there even being a lot of complaints about him last season. It was only at the end of the season, when people took a look at his stats, that they realised what a great job he had done up front on his own.

frag420 wrote: »
    I would imagine with a deal such as what Ade got that Levy has various stipulations inserted as to Ade's attitude, performenace etc. Would be foolish not to.

In Levy we trust................:o

I've never heard of an attitude clause in a contract.

Even performance clauses are extremely rare. Most players would not accept them, unless they are part of the club's standard contract.

what a great job he had done up front on his own.

Yeah, apparently, he was 1 of 7 players in the top five European leagues to have double figure stats in goals scored and assists. Up there with most the Barca front line and Ronaldo, I assume.

Saying that, I can't wait to see him in a front three with Bale and Lennon (or Gylfi) pinging balls in at him.

I'm getting very excited about the new season.

36 days, 5 hours, 43 minutes and 8 seconds to kick off...

7 seconds...

6 seconds...

5 seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

And he had 5 goals that were incorrectly disallowed. (I think) That would make his record even better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Good signing, hope Levy signs another striker, delighted with the Vertongen signing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I doubt the club will tell us but the media will certainly have a guess.

He is likely to be the highest paid player at the club and get a hefty signing on fee.

Strikers of his level are not exactly plentiful, so you're going to have to pay a premium for them. In fairness he deserves it after his record last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ADE Deal done at 10M ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Being reported on Sky that Everton are in talks with Spurs to re sign Steven Pienaar and Southampton have being given permission to talk to Crystal Palace defender Nathaniel Clyne who was been linked with a move to Man Utd a few months back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

17 goals & 11 assists in the EPL last season was a great return for his first season. Let's hope it continues! COYS!

If he was to match that again next season IN THE PREMIERSHIP then it will most definitely be money well spent.

The only worry for me is that he was just playing for a new contract last year and now hes got it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Can anyone answer just how Steven Pienaar's value has gone up? we bought him for £3m, he's barely played for us and we're looking to sell him for £5m if reports are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Mactard wrote: »
    Can anyone answer just how Steven Pienaar's value has gone up? we bought him for £3m, he's barely played for us and we're looking to sell him for £5m if reports are to be believed.

I'd say 2 goals against Man U in the 2nd last game of the season and a new Levy on all outgoing players :D

He was almost out of contract when we bought him, hence the knock down price. Everton preferred to sell him on the cheap rather than lose him for nothing 6 months later.

He only had 6 months left on his contract at Everton when we signed him, hence the low fee.

With him following Kranjcar out the exit door it does leave us light for back-up on the wings. Gio could be an option but then we've been saying that for years now. Ideally I'd like to see a new right-sided attacker brought in, because Lennon won't produce the amount of goals required for a right-sided attacker in a 4-3-3.

• Advertisement

He was almost out of contract when we bought him, hence the knock down price. Everton preferred to sell him on the cheap rather than lose him for nothing 6 months later.

Beat me to it! Let's see how many consecutive posts we can get the word "hence" into :)

Advertisement