Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Ideally I'd like to see a new right-sided attacker brought in, because Lennon won't produce the amount of goals required for a right-sided attacker in a 4-3-3.

Adam Johnson is the man imo.
    Though he's a northern boy, don't know if he'd like to come south to us. If Citeh are looking to free up space on their wage bill, he'd be ideal for us!

Saying that though, might Gylfie be given the role on the right of the front three?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Friedel.
    Walker, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Ekotto.
    Sigurdsson, Moutinho (if they sell Modric), Parker, Bale.
    Van Der Vaart.
    Adebayor.

Main Subs: Cudicini, Rose, Gallas, King, Livermore, Lennon, Sandro, Piennar, Defoe.

But knowing AVB his lineup will more than likely be completely different than Harry Redknapp's but that is what I'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

chops018 wrote: »
    Friedel.
    Van Der Vaart.
    Adebayor.

Main Subs: Cudicini, Rose, Gallas, King, Livermore, Lennon, Sandro, Piennar, Defoe.

But knowing AVB his lineup will more than likely be completely different than Harry Redknapp's but that is what I'd go for.

Haha, so this is the estimated line up but the line up will probably be completely different?

Personally I think AVB will favour a 4-3-3 line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

chops018 wrote: »
    Friedel.
    Van Der Vaart.
    Adebayor.

I think it'll be something like this;

Friedel
    Walker - Kaboul - Verts - Benny
    Sandro/Parker
    Lennon -- Modric -- Bale
    Sig/VDV

Ade

Lloris

Walker
    Kaboul
    Vertonghen
    Benny

Parker
    Moutinho

Gylfi
    Rafa
    Bale

Ade

Subs, a selection from:

Brad, Cudicini - Naughton, Caulker, Dawson, Fryers, Rose - Sandro, Livermore, Hudd, Jenas - Lennon, Bentley, Townsend, Gio - Defoe.

Obviously my first team selection includes Lloris and Moutinho. Though they seem to be the most likely to be coming through the door next.

• Advertisement

Nobody thinks he will favour a 4-3-3?

Nobody?

Ormus wrote: »

Nobody?

Mine is kind of 4 - 3 - 3 with Lennon, Sandro & Bale being one of the 3's, and Modric, VDV & Ade being the other, though in advanced positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Haha, so this is the estimated line up but the line up will probably be completely different?

Personally I think AVB will favour a 4-3-3 line up.

Put that in wrong, I meant to say that is the line up I want to see, and it would be the line up I would go with.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Mine is kind of 4 - 3 - 3 with Lennon, Sandro & Bale being one of the 3's, and Modric, VDV & Ade being the other, though in advanced positions.

Lennon, Sandro and Bale as a midfield 3?

Are you Ossie Ardiles?!

Nobody?

Not from the off, imo. I think we need that complete AMC before we go in to a 4-3-3. Gylfi might be developed to play it over time.

Anyway, I don't think Lennon has the goals in him to be the right-side of a forward three.

What do you think?

• Advertisement

Not from the off, imo. I think we need that complete AMC before we go in to a 4-3-3. Gylfi might be developed to play it over time.

Anyway, I don't think Lennon has the goals in him to be the right-side of a forward three.

What do you think?

Yeah I'm not sure Lennon really fits in a 4-3-3.

Which is an awful shame cos I love the lil fella.

Lennon, Sandro and Bale as a midfield 3?

Are you Ossie Ardiles?!

:D Modric will also be deep in the middle, and while he'd be part of the front 3, we all know he's best lying fairly deep, behind the attacking players. So in effect, although they'd line up as 4 - 3 - 3 once the game gets going it would look like 4 - 4 - 1 - 1.

In fairness, there's every chance that he'll start the match with one formation and change it in game, or even depending on whether we're attacking or defending.

In fairness, there's every chance that he'll start the match with one formation and change it in game, or even depending on whether we're attacking or defending.

:D:D:D

No more 'Arry tactics, one formation for all occasions!

"just go an 'ave a go lads!"

:D Modric will also be deep in the middle, and while he'd be part of the front 3, we all know he's best lying fairly deep, behind the attacking players. So in effect, although they'd line up as 4 - 3 - 3 once the game gets going it would look like 4 - 4 - 1 - 1.

Yeah I suppose in fairness a 4-3-3 is really just a 4-5-1 with the wingers supporting the striker.

Although at Chelsea he had Sturridge playing as a genuine right wing striker, with Mata as an attacking left midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

He always plays 4-3-3

A back four with two flying fullbacks, no need to explain who these will be although if Dawson comes back on form Vertz could push BAE out of the team at left back.

The centre three will be a circular flowing three that allows each midfileder to compensate for either of the other two that are found out of position. Sandro/Parker will be the holder and either of Sig, Luka, Livermore will be further forward.

The front three consists of one striker (ade) and two attacking wingers such as Bale or Lennon (although we could se Sig or Vdv take up the right hand side position as AVB usually has this position tucked in Hulk style).

It totaalvoetbal baby, no player is fixed in position, I think Vertonghen and Sandro will be key for us this season pressing a highline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

This is what I reckon, based on current players;

Friedal
    Walker --- Kaboul --- Vertonghen --- BAE
    Sandro
    Modric
    Gylfi
    Lennon
    Bale
    Ade

Obviously it all depends on how AVB sees the players. I'm not buying all this talk of vdV not "fitting the system", he's a very similar player to Mata, and Mata was AVB's key man during his tenure at Chelsea. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rafa start on the right in place of Lennon, but again, it depends on how AVB sees the players, and until we see how he deploys the players, no one has a clue and any predictions are nothing more than educated guesswork.

As for his preferred 4-3-3 set-up it will be very interesting to see if he uses it. Martinez had huge success using a 3-4-3, similar to what Chile used during the 2010 WC, playing 3 CBs and and using two wide men to help out in defence as well as attack. Now I can't see AVB adopting a 3-4-3, but he could use a similar strategy if he wished to utilise vdV in a front 3, which would involve Walker acting as more of a winger. I do, however, expect him to continue with his 4-3-3, but it will be very interesting to see how he uses. This, as I've said before, will depend massively on how AVB sees the players.

I hope Walker has been working on his crossing and shooting during the off season as otherwise there's no hope of him becoming a decent attacking full back. He was bloody awful when he got near the box last season and so many decent moves broke down with his last touch/pass. He can defend well thanks to his pace, but he needs to deliver more in the last third. He's young though so hopefully still has plenty of time to learn.

We should probably start a different thread about this rather than clogging up the transfer thread!

Here we go;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056700429

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

A couple of goalkeepers linked today:

Vallodilid 'keeper Jaime (31) - http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7900689/Spurs-Keen-On-Keeper-Jaime

and young Aussie Mat Ryan coming in on trial - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/aussie-keeper-to-train-with-spurs/story-e6frfg8x-1226425949759

Inter Milan goalkeeper Julio Cesar has been offered on loan to Tottenham, who have shelved interest in Hugo Lloris of Lyon.

Whats the catch here? How come Inter are letting him go on loan? He is only 32.

• Advertisement

Inter Milan goalkeeper Julio Cesar has been offered on loan to Tottenham, who have shelved interest in Hugo Lloris of Lyon.

Whats the catch here? How come Inter are letting him go on loan? He is only 32.

Yeah that's a bit weird. He was a quality keeper so he's either going through a very bad patch of form or has been replaced ala Gomes for us. Either way, is he worth taking a risk on?

Yeah that's a bit weird. He was a quality keeper so he's either going through a very bad patch of form or has been replaced ala Gomes for us. Either way, is he worth taking a risk on?

Unless he has had some kinda breakdown since I last saw him he would be definitely worth a risk.

One of the best in the world last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

Unless he has had some kinda breakdown since I last saw him he would be definitely worth a risk.

He's on 4.5m euro a season apparently, has been replaced by the udinese goalie, and hadn't a great season last year.

I'd be concerned if he doesn't speak English, it's the one position where you have to be clearly in charge and vocal.

I think gomes found it hard due to a death when he joined us, and the language barrier knocked him back. He was a terrific keeper in holland...

Bar Dida, I've still never seen a brilliant Brazilian goalie, and at 4.5 m per season spurs should have their pick of epl keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

He's on 4.5m euro a season apparently, has been replaced by the udinese goalie, and hadn't a great season last year.

I'd be concerned if he doesn't speak English, it's the one position where you have to be clearly in charge and vocal.

I think gomes found it hard due to a death when he joined us, and the language barrier knocked him back. He was a terrific keeper in holland...

Bar Dida, I've still never seen a brilliant Brazilian goalie, and at 4.5 m per season spurs should have their pick of epl keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Inter, and Milan for that matter, are getting a lot of players off the wage bill for the FFP rules. Ibra, Silva, Gattusa, Inzaghi and Seedorf have all left, or are, leaving Milan, and Maicon, Cesar and Forlan want to be shipped out by Inter. And these are just the players I know of, Italian football is something that I don't really follow.
    Personally, I wouldn't take Cesar unless he was taking a massive paycut, and ended up on something around £80,000 a week at best. Apparently he was poor enough last season, we could do a lot better for the wages he'd be commanding. I can't see for the life of me why we didn't make a move for Butland, he would've commanded comparably small wages, a reasonable transfer fee and is seen as Joe Hart's main contender for English no.1 position in the forseeable future. We really need a GK, almost as much as a CF, Brad has one season left in him by my reckoning (he's already 41 :eek::eek::eek:) and GK, of recent, has been a massive problem area for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

oregano wrote: »

Cesar is a lot better than Dida was imo, I'd snap him up in an instant if available.

THFC wrote: »
    Inter, and Milan for that matter, are getting a lot of players off the wage bill for the FFP rules. Ibra, Silva, Gattusa, Inzaghi and Seedorf have all left, or are, leaving Milan, and Maicon, Cesar and Forlan want to be shipped out by Inter. And these are just the players I know of, Italian football is something that I don't really follow.
    Personally, I wouldn't take Cesar unless he was taking a massive paycut, and ended up on something around £80,000 a week at best. Apparently he was poor enough last season, we could do a lot better for the wages he'd be commanding. I can't see for the life of me why we didn't make a move for Butland, he would've commanded comparably small wages, a reasonable transfer fee and is seen as Joe Hart's main contender for English no.1 position in the forseeable future. We really need a GK, almost as much as a CF, Brad has one season left in him by my reckoning (he's already 41 :eek::eek::eek:) and GK, of recent, has been a massive problem area for us.

Well I don't know how bad he was last season but before that he was one of the best in the world for sure.

I don't think a goalie would need much English to command his defence. There are only about 4 different things he would need to shout at them.

I wouldn't want us to break our wage structure for any goalie. A loan arrangement similar to the Adebayor one would be the way to go.

I think clubs were quoted something like 7m for Butland. Quite a lot for a guy who is totally unproven even at Championship level. Could be the next David Seaman, but could also be the next Richard Wright, Chris Kirkland, Ben Alnwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I agree on the whole goalkeeper is a must thing. I mentioned it in another thread somewhere that we really need a top keeper. It's not down to Brad's deficiencies, but just his age. He would be a super back up for any young keeper we would sign. He would be the 'cup keeper' as such. The Lloris talk seems to have quietened down a bit, Butland is an option but relatively unknown to us all apart from the media hype around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Had a look at This the other day, it was an interesting read, will quote it too just for people on mobile an stuff, it was out on Saturday and obviously things can change in a few days, but I would still love something to happen with Lloris, would be good to have a 25 year old with international and CL experience already under his belt, from what I have seen of him, he is impressive,
    and I always seem to buy him in my team in FIFA, sad I know but still,
    he would be a great addition to the squad I think,
    At present Spurs are extremely short of recognized strikers in the squad. Whilst Emmanuel Adebayor is on the verge of a permanent return to the club he performed for so well on loan last season, Spurs’ only main striker – Jermain Defoe – is being linked with a £5m move to Reading.

Spanish newspaper Marca are reporting that André Villas-Boas is interested in Atlético Madrid striker Adrian. Credence can be lent to this in several ways. Arguably Villas-Boas' reputation is strongest and most respected in the Iberian Peninsula, and a move for Adrian would be taken seriously. Adrian is also extremely versatile, able to play in any of front six positions, and this versatility may be an attraction for Spurs. Not only would Adrian boost the squad depth in the forward positions - last season the Spaniard scored 14 goals in 38 starts for the Madrid team - but could add cover across the attacking midfield. Adrian could potentially be a useful squad addition.

With Brad Friedel entering the last year of his contract and uncertainty over the futures of Heurelho Gomes and Carlo Cudicini, the goalkeeping area has been acknowledged as one of the main areas to be addressed this summer. The top contender, according to theSun appears to be Olympique Lyon keeper Hugo Lloris. At only 25 years of age Lloris would bring a wealth of experience to Spurs and be the long term No 1. However, there appears to be some brinkmanship going on between the two sides, with reports recently that Spurs had bid £13m for the French stopper, disputed by Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas denying any official bids had been received, instead stating a deadline of Monday for bids to be received. Whilst no official bid may have been received, negotiations between the two clubs may be ongoing prior to any official bid, as reported in the Daily Mail.

There appears to be mutual respect between Joao Moutinho and Villas-Boas, Moutinho stating in the Daily Mail how much he would like to work with his ex-manager again, whilst Villas-Boas lavished praise on Moutinho’s ability and performance at Euro 2012. Moutinho is arguably a player who is not only similar to Luka Modric in style and position - the deep lying play maker linked away from White Hart Lane - but is perhaps one of the few in that role who may be available. With reports in the Telegraph that Real Madrid have raised their offer for the Croatian playmaker to £40 million, there may be a strong likelihood if true that this will be accepted. If so, an offer for Moutinho may well follow. Villas-Boas in his press conference on Wednesday stated: "If something happens he is a player we are looking at with some interest." The midfielder has a buy-out clause of £31million, but this is normally an opening negotiating point, and Daniel Levy may be expecting to pay considerably less than this - Moutinho’s apparent desire to work with Villas-Boas again an advantage for Spurs in talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭condor26

I work with a Venezuelan chap who directed me to this
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2174504/Tottenham-Jose-Salomon-Rondon.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    "The 22-year-old has scored 27 goals in two seasons for the Spanish club but could leave this summer due to a dispute with the owners over unpaid wages"

Advertisement