Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sandro and walker were good finds walker was only playing a couple months for Sheffield united when we signed him.

Good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Until he started scoring a few goals, I honestly would have thought Torres would be worth a chance as we could have got him for maybe around 15m considering his bad form at the time. Especially with Harry staying, considering he has a habit of bringing out the best in players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Tomkins for west ham, looks good, fast, good in the air, good tackle. Centre half by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Tomkins for west ham, looks good, fast, good in the air, good tackle. Centre half by the way.
    Caulker is already a better player plus we are likely to pick up another centre half this summer with one or more of gallas/king/nelson/bongani moving on. If it is kings end I hope he stays with the club I'd like to see him stay another year.

Caulker is already a better player plus

Wouldnt agree with that, plus it doesnt sound like Caulker is much in harrys plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I think Caulker is very much in his plans, anytime I've watched him play he's been excellent.

It's fantastic for one of our younger players to get a full season in the Premiership under his belt. Walker came back all the better for it.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I think Caulker is very much in his plans,

A bit strange then that he said he hasnt heard from anyone at Tottenham since he went to Swansea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Here's a shout that will be under the radar of most of the top six. If Modric leaves, I think we could knick James McCarthy from Wigan for £5m - whether they go down or not.

The lad is 21 and has shown great maturity throughout his career. He's been playing week in week out for six seasons now. Yes, that means his senior career started at 15!

Since he's joined Wigan from Hamilton he's had to play a very restrictive role in the middle of the park - but I think he's more of a Stevie G box-to-box player.

I think if we brought him in and played him alongside the likes of Parker, Livermore and Huddlestone in a rotational system, we could definitely get the best out of him with our style of play.

As for Caulker, I think Caulker will be eased in to the team next year. He'll have to play alongside an experienced centre back like Dawson or Gallas to start off.

Though I assume Kaboul will be the predominant choice alongside Dawson in Premier League games.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I think Caulker is very much in his plans,

A bit strange then that he said he hasnt heard from anyone at Tottenham since he went to Swansea?
    Harry has said a few times that he's in his plans and expects big things from him.

I would be shocked if he wasn't. Where did caulker say that?

Harry has said a few times that he's in his plans and expects big things from him.

I would be shocked if he wasn't. Where did caulker say that?

In an interview on sky about 3 weeks ago now. Said he only has heard from his youth coach at spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Would players on loan hear from the manager on a regular basis? Wouldn't have thought that would happen much, bar some interaction with coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Caulker has already said he's ready to come back to spurs and hopefully fight for a place in the 1st team next season.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11731/7684844/
    which tells me that harry has been watching him and has plans for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Herrick wrote: »
    Until he started scoring a few goals, I honestly would have thought Torres would be worth a chance as we could have got him for maybe around 15m considering his bad form at the time. Especially with Harry staying, considering he has a habit of bringing out the best in players.

:pac:

Yeah I'm sure Chelsea woulda been willing to take a 35m loss after one year and sell to their London rivals.

Also, Torres woulda been happy to take a wage cut from 180k a week (or whatever he is on) to 60k a week. Professional footballers are usually cool about that.

Kaka has been a flop at Madrid, we should swap him for Defoe plus 2.5m.

It seems a bit strange that Caulker hasn't heard much from Spurs but I'm sure they will speak to him when the time comes. He looks like a good player.

James McCarthy isn't a bad shout, decent player with time on his side.

I'd like us to sign Moses and Ba.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Sigurdsson for me all day.
    Great skill, energy and won't get bossed off the ball.
    Moses also is quality.
    Then again, Piennar, if brought back and given a game every week, is also a fair player.
    Then we could spend all the Modric and (hope it doesn't happen!) Bale money on Centre halves and Strikers.
    I think Agbonlahor is wasted at Villa. Lost since Young went. Lethal for on the break on hopefully CL nights!
    Could be a Harry special!
    Jarvis, Williamson (NUFC), Hoillet?
    Kasper Schimichael as back up for Friedel. Eh Shay Given, no thanks!
    The Euros could also bring a few players to light.
    If they could persuade Rossi from Villarreal.
    Only 3 goals this season but a great player and is only 25yrs old.

Llorente should of been purchased last summer hopefully we get him this summer!

Also today Harry said King hasn'tbeen the same since he got injured in Feburary could be the end :(

What can you say, Ledley is a Spurs Institution for me.
    I think he could have went on to have been the best centre half in the world, if only his knee had held up.
    Rio Ferdinand won't tie his shoe laces in my opinion.
    He has put in some unbelievable tackles over the years and he reminds me of Sheringham with his positional skills.
    Definitely coaching material for our Centre Halves and to have around the lads on match day.
    Not too many beers for him after the match though.
    Please get on the bus Ledley, we're all goin now!

yidweiser wrote: »
    Sigurdsson for me all day.
    Great skill, energy and won't get bossed off the ball.
    Moses also is quality.
    Then again, Piennar, if brought back and given a game every week, is also a fair player.
    Then we could spend all the Modric and (hope it doesn't happen!) Bale money on Centre halves and Strikers.
    I think Agbonlahor is wasted at Villa. Lost since Young went. Lethal for on the break on hopefully CL nights!
    Could be a Harry special!
    Kasper Schimichael as back up for Friedel. Eh Shay Given, no thanks!
    The Euros could also bring a few players to light.
    If they could persuade Rossi from Villarreal.
    Only 3 goals this season but a great player and is only 25yrs old.

Sigurdsson looks good alright, but where would you play him? I don't think he could play in the same team as VdV, they'd get in each others way.

Jarvis would be ok backup for our wingers, Williamson is a Championship player at best!

Rossi looks good, too small to play up front on his own though, so, again, couldn't play in the same team as VdV.

Llorente could do really well for us. I think we could afford his transfer fee but if a top club comes offering him top wages we have no chance. Thats if he even wants to come to England. A lot of Spanish players don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I like these two, but not Williamson.

I think it's important that we have reserve wingers - Andros Townsend and one other (Hoillet/Jarvis). Our play looked far too compact if Lennon or Bale were missing.

If we can keep the majority of the current team and then ease the likes of Naughton, Smith and Caulker in to the squad next season, we won't suffer from the post-Christmas slump like we had this year.

Though, we will need Harry to start rotating.

My (realistic) shopping list:

Hoillet, Llorente and Vertongen. Maybe McCarthy too, if Modric goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Hoillet or Moses would be great,Both would be even better.
    Looking further afield Fiorentina are in turmoil and perhaps a cheeky bid for there best player Steven Jovetic(striker 14 goals 28 apps) wouldnt go astray,I'd also like to see us go back in for Milos Krasic of Juventus,We were linked with a loan move for him in jan but he wanted a permanent transfer,he admitted later that was a mistake and that he should have joined us.Ibrahim Affellay is available from barcelona too and would be worth a bid aswell.
    At the back i think most of us would love Vertonghen and it's 1 i'd love to see us pull off,Cant think of any other really good center backs that we could realistically get.
    Up front i think we'll keep Adebayor,We just need a player to compliment his style of play,Oliver Giroud of Montpellier would be a good buy(21 goals 33 apps)We also need someone in as cover for VDV too,thats why i think Harry might go for a rejuvenated Joe Cole in the summer.

• Advertisement

I knew I'd get that reaction for suggesting Williamson :D
    I seen him play against Barnsley two seasons ago in St. James's Park and had great presence and positional skills.
    I know it was only Barnsley but from small seeds, mighty oaks grow.
    He has been influential all season for Newcastle since they lost Steven Taylor. They have had a lot of clean sheets.
    Carroll also scored in that game and went on to join Liverpool for mad money!
    I think he is worth a punt. Not a lot of good Centre Halves out there?

Dubperryman - Agree on compact play. Townsend could be a super player. Great speed. Naughton also. Rotation very important next year.

Ormus - VDV will have to warm the bench if I am to play either Sig or Rossi,I'm afraid! He would be my super sub though. Rossi to play deep or in a 442 with Ade (If he stays). Dead right as regards Spanish players. It says Rossi was born in Clifton?

I knew I'd get that reaction for suggesting Williamson :D
    I seen him play against Barnsley two seasons ago in St. James's Park and had great presence and positional skills.
    I know it was only Barnsley but from small seeds, mighty oaks grow.
    He has been influential all season for Newcastle since they lost Steven Taylor. They have had a lot of clean sheets.
    Carroll also scored in that game and went on to join Liverpool for mad money!
    I think he is worth a punt. Not a lot of good Centre Halves out there?

Dubperryman - Agree on compact play. Townsend could be a super player. Great speed. Naughton also. Rotation very important next year.

Ormus - VDV will have to warm the bench if I am to play either Sig or Rossi,I'm afraid! He would be my super sub though. Rossi to play deep or in a 442 with Ade (If he stays). Dead right as regards Spanish players. It says Rossi was born in Clifton?

Williamson seems to have good heart but looks very limited. Surely we can get better quality than that.

If you drop VdV you gotta sell him in my opinion. He sees himself as the superstar of the team and he would throw his toys outta the pram if dropped.

I'm not convinced about Townsend or Naughton, I think they are Championship players. Townsend has even struggled to get his game on loan in the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »
    Williamson seems to have good heart but looks very limited. Surely we can get better quality than that.

If you drop VdV you gotta sell him in my opinion. He sees himself as the superstar of the team and he would throw his toys outta the pram if dropped.

I'm not convinced about Townsend or Naughton, I think they are Championship players. Townsend has even struggled to get his game on loan in the Championship.

Has Naughton not done quite well in a prem team this season ?

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Has Naughton not done quite well in a prem team this season ?

I guess he has done ok, he could maybe do a job as backup to Walker at a stretch, but he doesn't look like a guy who should be playing for a top 4 team.

I guess he has done ok, he could maybe do a job as backup to Walker at a stretch, but he doesn't look like a guy who should be playing for a top 4 team.

Either does half the United team mate ;)

Kompany, Toure, Messi, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Vorm, Vertoghen, Hoilett, Remy = Realistic ambition

Krul, Vertoghen, Hazard, Leandro = Optimistic

Would like to keep Ade and bring Caulker and Naughton or Corluka back from loan. Would like Pienaar back too. Happy to wave good bye to Gallas and keep Ledley as a defensive coach and emergency cover. Think we also need better cover than Rose at LB .. would prefer to replace BAE to be honest as I think we can improve on him

With Dawson and Huddlestone returning we should be pretty strong next season.

Really need to offload Jenas, Gio, Bentley, Hutton (he is on loan isnt he?). Would also like to sell Defoe and replace him with someone young with potential who has the ability to hold the ball up and lead the line.

I like these two, but not Williamson.

I think it's important that we have reserve wingers - Andros Townsend and one other (Hoillet/Jarvis). Our play looked far too compact if Lennon or Bale were missing.

If we can keep the majority of the current team and then ease the likes of Naughton, Smith and Caulker in to the squad next season, we won't suffer from the post-Christmas slump like we had this year.

Though, we will need Harry to start rotating.

My (realistic) shopping list:

Hoillet, Llorente and Vertongen. Maybe McCarthy too, if Modric goes.

Love the James Mac shout Dub, I like your taste :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

:pac:

Yeah I'm sure Chelsea woulda been willing to take a 35m loss after one year and sell to their London rivals.

Also, Torres woulda been happy to take a wage cut from 180k a week (or whatever he is on) to 60k a week. Professional footballers are usually cool about that..

Kaka has been a flop at Madrid, we should swap him for Defoe plus 2.5m.

Yeah, I didn't think this up from nothing. So you can leave your condescending, smartarse attitude at the door, like a good boy.

The reason I mentioned maybe getting him for around that price was because Abramovich was supposed to be getting very fed up with his lack of form and considering selling him for a loss. There were a few reports with talk of taking around 20m for him if he didn't start improving. He was apparently touted for loan spells in January they were so concerned with his confidence levels. If he kept going the way he was, how much do you think another club would pay for what looked like a broken player? 30-40m? I don't think many would take the chance. It wasn't as if his agent could just say he wasn't suited to the league, he was barely a shadow of his former self, even being dropped by the Spain squad for the first time in five years.

Granted though, I'd agree on the wages front. I was thinking of his wages from his time at Liverpool, around 110,000, which I thought might be possible if a bit of dead wood was let go. But I checked it up there and he's on about 200k at Chelsea.

Doesn't matter now as he seems to be gradually improving, he'll either stay or they can put on the big price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Not really a transfer shout, but when do we expect to see Souleymane Coulibaly, he came with a big reputation, looking forward to seeing him.

My shopping list would be:
    Hazard(along with the rest of the top clubs)
    Clint Dempsey would be prefect for us if we could get him
    Need a new left full just dont know who yet
    Gaitian from Benfica, would be good cover on the wing. I think we rely too much on Bale and Lennon when other top clubs rotate 3 top class wingers.

Advertisement