Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Looks like Sahin is being kindly asked to move on!!

Interesting, as I'd read another story earlier involving this chap: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/589811262?-19389

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Am I the only one here who isn't in thrall with the idea of Lloris.

I haven't seen that much of him but it looks like he's an amazing shot stopper, whose absolutely dreadful on crosses.

I'm basing this mostly on a reel I saw of him before one of the Euros matches.

But dear god did he look bad on crosses. And i'd really worry that whatever other talent he has won't compensate for that in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Sorry i've just seen that this has been mentioned a few pages back. Any thoughts on it tho, anyone know if he is that bad at crosses or was that just a clip section making it look worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

boo3000 wrote: »
    Sorry i've just seen that this has been mentioned a few pages back. Any thoughts on it tho, anyone know if he is that bad at crosses or was that just a clip section making it look worse?

His only real problem is that he seems to have a tendency to palm the ball away, rather than holding it. I'm sure this can be worked out in training though, as can any issues with crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

RoboClam wrote: »
    His only real problem is that he seems to have a tendency to palm the ball away, rather than holding it. I'm sure this can be worked out in training though, as can any issues with crosses.

Exactly. De Gea at Utd hardly covered himself in glory when he started and if he's poor on crosses he may struggle initially though with some proper coaching he'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I saw that SSN were running a story earlier that spurs and everton had agreed on a fee for pienarr..
    ... It was gone a few mins later and no mention of it now.

I saw that SSN were running a story earlier that spurs and everton had agreed on a fee for pienarr..
    ... It was gone a few mins later and no mention of it now.

Here it is:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7945910/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Balkan press reckon Modric to Madrid for €44.7m will be confirmed tomorrow. I expect tomorrow will be quite busy.

€44.7m is just shy of £35m

I could live with that. We could get a very good replacement for £25-30M

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd also be happy with that. We could get Moutinho for that, or try get a big name striker.

• Advertisement

You'd have to wonder if we should bother trying (or even need) to replace Modric.

Its certainly going to be a difficult task to replace him with a player of similar style and who is of the same calibre.

There a few of them about, even fewer who are available and even fewer who would be willing to sign for us.

I'd rather we put the funds into 1-2 new strikers and see how we get on with the existing midfielders available to us..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

You'd have to wonder if we should bother trying (or even need) to replace Modric.

Its certainly going to be a difficult task to replace him with a player of similar style and who is of the same calibre.

There a few of them about, even fewer who are available and even fewer who would be willing to sign for us.

I'd rather we put the funds into 1-2 new strikers and see how we get on with the existing midfielders available to us..

We will be buying strikers no matter what, so it's a case of buy a midfielder or not.

We don't necessarily need a carbon copy replacement for Modric but I would like to see us strengthen in midfield, especially with Parker currently injured.

Dembele or Sahin would be my first choices. Moutinho looks good but 24m sounds excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

PIENAAR TO EVERTON....done deal on the club site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Made 1.5 million profit on him , great business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Gooners seem to have jumped ahead of us in the Sahin race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Only Spurs could do that kinda business on Pienaar. Maybe I'm wrong but by my reckoning he would have been worth a bit less after his brief non productive stint at Spurs, not 50% more! Well done Levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

jiltloop wrote: »
    Only Spurs could do that kinda business on Pienaar. Maybe I'm wrong but by my reckoning he would have been worth a bit less after his brief non productive stint at Spurs, not 50% more! Well done Levy.

He only had 6 months on his contract when we signed him. If anything, we overpaid on that occasion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Buy a striker already!

If reports are true we paid £3m for Pienarr and sold him for £4.5, surely he would have earned £1.5m at least in wages during his time at WHL so if anything we have lost money on him ... (thats assuming we paid £3m in the first place which I find hard to believe considering he had only 6 months left on his contract at the time0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    He only had 6 months on his contract when we signed him. If anything, we overpaid on that occasion.

Didn't realise his contract was that close to the end when we signed him. That sheds a different light on it.

• Advertisement

Soooo... getting a bit miffed now.
    Bad enough that Chelsea are snapping up qualty players left right and centre AND buying them at the right time so they have them for pre-season, arsenal are at it too. So RVP may or may not leave but they've brought in two quality players so far and according to media reports they are pretty close to signing two more.

Meanwhile, We started our last friendly with no striker on the pitch and the only player who looks like been ready for the EPL kick off is the untried, untested and unproved Kane.

z127944589.jpg

Soooo... getting a bit miffed now.
    Bad enough that Chelsea are snapping up qualty players left right and centre AND buying them at the right time so they have them for pre-season, arsenal are at it too. So RVP may or may not leave but they've brought in two quality players so far and according to media reports they are pretty close to signing two more.

Meanwhile, We started our last friendly with no striker on the pitch and the only player who looks like been ready for the EPL kick off is the untried, untested and unproved Kane.

z127944589.jpg

Defoe will be well ready for the start of the season, and we will have signed at least one more striker by then, with another to follow before the window closes.

I still think Adebayor will be in our starting 11 against Newcastle.

Admittedly pretty jealous of Arsenal if they really do get Sahin and Cazorla. Hoping Podolski will be a flop for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah, I'm getting a bit worried too. Regardless of the fact that the window still has a month to run, we're only just over 2 weeks from the start of the season. Anyone other than Ade won't have time to settle into the squad and the thought of starting the game against Newcastle with just Defoe and Kane is nightmarish.

The Modric situation rumbles on and at the moment it looks like he'll be with the team at the start of the season, but will he pull another stunt and claim his head's not in the right place again or will he take part? If Levy is not careful, we could have another crap start to the season.

After a great start to this window, it seems like a case of same old Spurs again and I just hope something is very close to being sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Stekelenburg being linked today:http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7957137/Spurs-in-Stekelenburg-link

I presume the 3 'keepers mentioned are Stekelenburg, Lloris and Cesar.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Stekelenburg being linked today:http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7957137/Spurs-in-Stekelenburg-link

I presume the 3 'keepers mentioned are Stekelenburg, Lloris and Cesar.

Sounds about right yeah. 3 world class goalies in fairness, although Cesar would want massive wages and it's suspicious that he is so available all of s sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Feck the new keepers,we want two new strikers pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Tumbleweed_rolling_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

New Damiao bid gone in supposed to be around 15m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

New Damiao bid gone in supposed to be around 15m

Yea I can only assume its going to take more than that to get him to north London. But as I mentioned before, would live if we got him.

Advertisement