Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

pancho84 wrote: »
    Not really a transfer shout, but when do we expect to see Souleymane Coulibaly, he came with a big reputation, looking forward to seeing him.

My shopping list would be:
    Hazard(along with the rest of the top clubs)
    Clint Dempsey would be prefect for us if we could get him
    Need a new left full just dont know who yet
    Gaitian from Benfica, would be good cover on the wing. I think we rely too much on Bale and Lennon when other top clubs rotate 3 top class wingers.
    Sully is still a child he has a long way to go before he gets to the first team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 pjoc

Think we have to sell and bring in players that will score more goals

3 players I would like to see us buy this summer
    Llorente
    Pjanic - be great for headlines
    Vorteghen

That added with keeping modric and Bale.
    Also possibly keeping Ade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

vdv has had a big part to play in this i reckon. This guy will be first choice CB next season with kaboul - dawson and caulker and reserve and king + gallas to play the cup games

"Of course I want Ajax to become financially better, but the amount Tottenham are willing to pay, maybe with a little bit extra, is very reasonable.
    "In a year from now I could leave the club for free. I hope Ajax are aware of it as the situation of Maarten Stekelenburg's transfer was very harsh. He only arrived at the end of pre-season at AS Roma.spacer.gif I want to flow in fluently, directly with the other Spurs players.
    "Tottenham is a fantastic traditional club who play football in a way I like.
    "Ajax was the perfect club for me, but Spurs will be very close in nearing that already. They buy young, eager and offensive-minded players."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Love the James Mac shout Dub, I like your taste :D

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really hope we get Vertonghen. We need another solid center back, who isn't constantly injured. He's work well with Kaboul i'd say.

benny should be given an improved contract i think - however we all know what a gentlemans agreement with levy means :-)

Benoit Assou-Ekotto may seek to leave Tottenham Hotspur at the end of the season.
    Assou-Ekotto, 28, signed for Spurs from Lens in 2006 and is a key part of the first-team, but he has revealed he has spoken to chairman Daniel Levy about a potential move and is eager to move on to bigger things.
    "Everything is possible," he told France Football. "When I met the chairman last January he told me that, if a club bigger than Tottenham came in for me, he wouldn't necessarily be against my departure.
    "If there is a change at Tottenham - some more money is made available - I wouldn't be against the idea of staying, but otherwise I'll try to move forwards, as I did when I left Lens."
    Asked if he would be looking to join a club that regularly participates in the Champions League, he said: "Yes. All players want to play in this competition. A few months ago, I said I never wanted to play in the Europa League because that competition is useless.
    "I have a gentleman's agreement with the chairman. As he is a man of his word, I hope that will make things easier if a great club comes in."

Sounds more like "i want more money" then "i want to leave." At least i hope so. He's a good player, who occasionally bottles it. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he left though, as long as we got a suitable replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mickman wrote: »
    benny should be given an improved contract i think - however we all know what a gentlemans agreement with levy means :-)

Benoit Assou-Ekotto may seek to leave Tottenham Hotspur at the end of the season.
    Assou-Ekotto, 28, signed for Spurs from Lens in 2006 and is a key part of the first-team, but he has revealed he has spoken to chairman Daniel Levy about a potential move and is eager to move on to bigger things.
    "Everything is possible," he told France Football. "When I met the chairman last January he told me that, if a club bigger than Tottenham came in for me, he wouldn't necessarily be against my departure.
    "If there is a change at Tottenham - some more money is made available - I wouldn't be against the idea of staying, but otherwise I'll try to move forwards, as I did when I left Lens."
    Asked if he would be looking to join a club that regularly participates in the Champions League, he said: "Yes. All players want to play in this competition. A few months ago, I said I never wanted to play in the Europa League because that competition is useless.
    "I have a gentleman's agreement with the chairman. As he is a man of his word, I hope that will make things easier if a great club comes in."

I like Benny and he has improved a lot over the years, but I can't see him being a regular at a bigger club than us. I think we are as good as it will get for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Kiith wrote: »
    Sounds more like "i want more money" then "i want to leave." At least i hope so. He's a good player, who occasionally bottles it. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he left though, as long as we got a suitable replacement.

For me this is definately a case of "I want more money". Benny has openely admitted before that he just plays for money and it is a job to him so IMO he is definately after a payrise which he deserves too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

let him go, ders better left backs around. i'd like to see us try and sign baines, he's a quality player and is better than benny imo.

I actually like Baines, and he would be a good replacement if Benny did leave. Probably less likely to try something crazy and mess up. But also less likely to try something crazy and succeed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Akottu has improved but I still don't rate him as a top left back, still prone to headlessness. Put it like this I couldn't see him getting on any team better than us.

I'd gladly get rid if the price was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Sign him up Daniel!

Some interesting stats about the big mans first (and maybe only) season in lilywhite...

PROS: He's the only player in the league to be in double figures for goals [16] and assists [11], 25% of Tottenham’s goals. Only four players have scored more goals this season and only three have had more assists [none of them strikers]. Arguably we have had the best all round striker in the Premier League this season.

CONS: He has been caught offside 52 times this season – 52 times an attack has broken down. Surely as a lone striker leading the attack, there has to be more awareness of the defensive line. Demba Ba in the same amount of matches has been caught offside 27 times.

Personally, I'd sign him up if he'd take the pay cut.

Any one got spare ticket FULHAM game sunday , could meet near ground

Anyone got spare ticket for fulham game sunday ? Could meet near the ground

Remy is meant to be coming down on Tuesday for negotiations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Interesting, very interesting....

Is Verthongen definitely on his way to us does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

So what do we need to push on next year:

Can we loose Bale,VDV or Luka?

Who can we sign that will push us on?

Going to be very hard if Chelsea win next week to hold on to the lads or sign anyone of note.

ziedth wrote: »
    So what do we need to push on next year:

Can we loose Bale,VDV or Luka?

Who can we sign that will push us on?

Going to be very hard if Chelsea win next week to hold on to the lads or sign anyone of note.
    If chelsea lose next week we will keep them if they win we could lose luka

Apparently Vertonghen was at the lane today....

Would be nice to see us conclude our business early for once.

Yes it will but the only reasonwe are doing it early thiis season is because the euros will inflate prices as usual . Clever lad is levy

Yes it will but the only reasonwe are doing it early thiis season is because the euros will inflate prices as usual . Clever lad is levy

Suits me, can't stomach another deadline dead with Harry's jowls hanging out the window of the range rover!

Yeah, we need to get these players as soon as possible, and get them training. Nothing worse then waiting till 6pm on deadline day in the hopes that we've gotten someone.

Remy looks good, but i want Vertonghen more. I think he'd be great with Kaboul in defense.

Wasn't it this week 4 years ago that we signed a little Croatian called Modric? It was great to sit back and watch our new signing light up the Euros. Would be nice to have that again.

Does anyone think Chelsea will buy Modric? I can't see them wanting to sign a 3rd small playmaker in the space of 10 months, after Mata and Marin.

Likewise I don't think City have a vacancy for another small playmaker to add to Nasri and Silva.

Granted, Luka has been playing slightly deeper for Spurs lately, but I would think City and Chelsea would be reluctant to buy too many small players.

United definitely need him, but do they have the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Modric is a completely different player to Marin, Mata and Silva. He closer to a Nasri but still plays a far deeper position than Nasri has been playing anyways. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Chelsea and United showing interest, City don't need him, but they could still go for him.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    Modric is a completely different player to Marin, Mata and Silva. He closer to a Nasri but still plays a far deeper position than Nasri has been playing anyways. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Chelsea and United showing interest, City don't need him, but they could still go for him.

I think he has become a different player in the last 2 seasons, but he is still more attacking than defensive. I'd be quite surprised if Chelsea bought 3 small creative players in such a short space of time. Likewise, City have too many small players as it is, I would be amazed if they buy another.

He definitely fits for United, but I wonder what their financial situation is.

Advertisement