Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭golfball37

Dawson isn't up to the level required sadly. A great guy but if he was't English the press wouldn't rate him at all. Too many howlers and dives in too much. I wish him all the best though as he's a fantastic person and I'd keep him ahead of Bassong any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Bassong gone...

8mSebastien bassong‏@BassongOfficiel

Morning tweeps!!ive been officially transfered to Norwich today!3 years deal!another chapter in my football life! pic.twitter.com/nl1RdVZO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

SuprSi wrote: »
    Bassong gone...

8mSebastien bassong‏@BassongOfficiel

Morning tweeps!!ive been officially transfered to Norwich today!3 years deal!another chapter in my football life! pic.twitter.com/nl1RdVZO

Good news indeed. Total deadwood finally off the wage bill. Did ok for us in his first season but we had little use for him since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ormus wrote: »
    What's that got to do with it? I never said anything about his tackling.

It was claimed he gets caught too far up the pitch. I've rarely seen him past the halfway line, except for corners.

I was agreeing with the OP "leaden footed" on the edge and outside of the box and gets caught out of position hence the clumsy tackling.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Dawson isn't up to the level required sadly. A great guy but if he was't English the press wouldn't rate him at all. Too many howlers and dives in too much. I wish him all the best though as he's a fantastic person and I'd keep him ahead of Bassong any day of the week.

He is a slightly old fashioned centre back, but really proved himself for me in the Champions League. Hero.

• Advertisement

Bassong Gone, this from twitter apparently:

Morning tweeps!!ive been officially transfered to Norwich today!3 years deal!another chapter in my football life!pic.twitter.com/nl1RdVZO

Sorry Dublin Spur, I've just noticed you posted this already :o

I was agreeing with the OP "leaden footed" on the edge and outside of the box and gets caught out of position hence the clumsy tackling.

The OP said he was inconsistent and gets caught too far up the pitch. Nothing said about edge of the box or clumsy tackling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

mickman wrote: »
    That is avb all out , look at the mess he made of Chelsea , he will do the same with us

Casting off our vice captain and showing him no respect is indicative of the kind of person villas boas is

I said earlier his man mgt skills are rubbish and people jumped down my throat

Dawson gives 110% and is Defo a great squad player

Strange post.

What's strange about it ?? I'm entitled to have an opinion on avb

He made a complete mess of Chelsea - tried to get rid of top players like lampard etc ( who still got 16 goals from midfield) and is still there this season .

People say it was impossible to control the ego's etc but avb tried to do it all at once. That's a pretty brainless thing to do in your first season in charge

He made a complete mess of Chelsea - tried to get rid of top players like lampard etc ( who still got 16 goals from midfield) and is still there this season .

People say it was impossible to control the ego's etc but avb tried to do it all at once. That's a pretty brainless thing to do in your first season in charge

Well for starters, what evidence have you that he has "cast him off"? How do you know Daws didn't ask to leave for first team football?

How do you know he showed him no respect? Couldn't he have respectfully explained to him that he wasn't in his plans?

Do you know something we don't? I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe he has cast him off with no respect. Just wondering how you know this when we don't?

He didn't try to get rid of players like Lampard, he benched them and tried to change the team quickly as that's what RA wanted him to do. Lampard and co then kicked up a fuss like the spoiled kids they are and didn't play ball, which left RA with no other option. RA personally met the players and gave them a bollocking for the whole fiasco (obviously before they jammily won the CL).

He made the mistake of trying to change a very settled and set-in-their-ways team too quickly, which he has already admitted, but he didn't do it without being given permission to by RA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Well for starters, what evidence have you that he has "cast him off"? How do you know Daws didn't ask to leave for first team football?

How do you know he showed him no respect? Couldn't he have respectfully explained to him that he wasn't in his plans?

Do you know something we don't? I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe he has cast him off with no respect. Just wondering how you know this when we don't?

Ormus - as in most of your posts and conserations on this forum , you are getting defensive / heated and over reacting

Therefore I will bow out and let the other members enjoy your anger

Ormus - as in most of your posts and conserations on this forum , you are getting defensive / heated and over reacting

Therefore I will bow out and let the other members enjoy your anger

You asked me what I thought was strange about your post.

I answered and asked you politely for clarification.

I haven't gotten angry or personal or heated.

I have only love for my fellow Spurs.

The OP said he was inconsistent and gets caught too far up the pitch. Nothing said about edge of the box or clumsy tackling.

He said "leaden footed", I was elaborating..... Chill duuuuuuuuude!:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Decent blog post...

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7513216
    One of my favourite sayings is 'Be careful what you wish for'. But equally if you are to make decisions at least be decisive, and that appears to be what Tottenham are doing.

Today we read that Sebastien Bassong is to join Norwich, Jenas and Rose are potentially joining Sunderland, whilst Michael Dawson is subject to accepted bids from QPR and Stoke, and Tom Huddlestone could go to Stoke on a seasons loan. That equates to around 30% of the squad changing from last season and around 80% of the allegedly deadwood being moved on. That with a considered approach to bringing through the kids, is what so many of us loyal fans wanted, if I am not mistaken.

Of those names quoted as outgoing players, I dont believe any of them would get into a best Spurs XI, even in conceeding that all are very decent players. The facts remain that Dawson and Bassong could now be as low as our 5th and 6th choice central defenders, Danny Rose needs to play games to develop as a player and is clearly not content to sit on the sidelines. Jermaine Jenas and Tom Huddlestone are either not what AVB is looking for, or at least need to have time away to prove their form, fitness and perhaps even hunger, if they are to be welcomed back to WHL.

It is also not unreasonable to assume that those five players combined would probably earn in excess of 200 grand a week or ten million a year. add to that transfer and loan fees due in and that represents a rather large fund for Daniel Levy to spend wisely. It is believed that Dawson is valued at around £8m, I assume Bassong around £5m, though it isnt clear whether Jenas and Rose are loans or Permanent, if sold, you would perhaps expect a combined fee of about £5m for those and maybe a million plus for Hudd to go on loan. If we assume they are correct (ish) that brings in nearly £30m in fees and wages, which might go to buying a quality midfielder or striker in the next few days.

What has always been obvious is that Spurs need to cut costs and be creative in their accounting, and it is clear that with bringing in the kids such as Kane, Carroll, Caulker etc. we will otherwise go with a lean group of players and maybe a registered squad of less than the twenty-five allowed. I think if we asked the majority of fans, they would rather go with Caulker than either Dawson or Bassong, whilst the same will probably apply with Carroll or Livermore for Jenas, Naughton for Rose, whilst personally I can see and agree with the dissapointment of losing Hudd. Can we perhaps accept that ne needs to improve his fitness, mobility and maybe attitude and work ethic to fit into the managers plans.

The reality is than none of those five look likely to be in the managers first eleven thinking and I would think that others such as Bentley, Gomes and maybe Dos Santos are also on a list of players who have major question marks on thie futures and could be very close to joining the departures. If that means we have a squad of around twenty-two and the rest are filled with the youngsters, that is fine with me. It may well mean that we have to accept a tougher season that we dreamed of, but it wasnt so many weeks ago that the majority were happily talking up this year as one of consolidation, but perhaps if the new players hit the ground running, we might actually have a squad to compete and be more competetive than we have had for some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

getting rid of dawson only makes sense if we have replacements lined up... which caulker is in the eyes of AVB. The thing is that we need to get two strikers in, keep defoe, get a keeper, replace modric etc.... its not all going to happen at this late stage and im blaming DL rather than AVB.

I hate posting anonymous twitter ****e, but here ya go!

Marcus Alves [EMAIL="‏@alves_marcus14m"]‏@alves_marcus14m[/EMAIL] (Brazialian ESPN)
    According to a Brazilian source,Tottenham representatives are in Porto Alegre to buy Leandro Damiao. Internacional refused their first offer

Lee Clayton @LeeClayton_ (Daily Mail)
    Spurs have agreed a fee with QPR for Michael Dawson. Close to £10million, subject to medical and personal terms. Good signing for QPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Same person that said about Dawson has also recently said Adebayor has finally been done and were now pushing big time for leandro. Also has left a post saying '**** just got interesting. DL could be about to prove himself over the next 9 days'
    He has been bang on with all his other information.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Anyone know nowt about this Willian Da Silva character that we have apparently landed??

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

Ade has finally signed!

• Advertisement

Rob094 wrote: »
    Ade has finally signed!

Yep, he just tweeted "I'm back!!! Tottenham here I come!! I'm hungry for goals... Get ready."

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

So Daws was sold to pay for Ade's wages then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Delighted Ade's signed, and i just hope he keeps his work rate at a similar level to what he had last year. Great thing about it is he should slot right in, as though it is a new system, he knows the players well and should work perfectly in AVB's system.

Not too happy about Daws, as i've always liked him. I'd hoped he would come back and be 1 of 3 regular center backs. But if he does go, i hope its on amicable terms, and he does well wherever he goes.

Now all we need is Leandro and a replacement for Modric, and i'd be delighted with our summer business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Never thought daws was that good tbh and I dont think we'll miss him at all.

How many times have you seen him caught 10 yards outside the box with a ball in behind him and he stuck to the ground with concreate boots on. It took him an extra second to get going and often the striker was home and dry before daws got to put in his late and peno awarding tackle. Great guy but never good enough.

In getting rid of daws today we've done what we probably should have done with Ledley 3 years ago, admitting it was never gonna pan out and its best to move on now. I wish him well but tlets get real sports fans. On one hand we want CL football every year then we boo the new manager (who has a junior European Cup in his bag already:D) who wants to put his system in place by getting rid of a player who's not good enough. We've got to stop this crap. Did fergie get hammered when Beckham, Keane or tevez get the door, nope is the answer. We just let go a second rate centre back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A striker at long last

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Lads, this place is getting like a group of women sitting around a table bitching about Eastenders or someting :rolleyes:

We all have our opinions, and we all vent then, which is great, let's leave all these so called personal digs aside, it's a load of bollo*.

I am willing to give the manager my full backing. Forget his passed, we all have one. Having a go at him after one game is bonkers lads.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Lads, this place is getting like a group of women sitting around a table bitching about Eastenders or someting :rolleyes:

Perhaps setup a new thread called "Ormus vs Mickman, Dublin Spur, Leinstersqspur et al":D:D:D:D

PS... Any word on the length of Ade's contract?

Perhaps setup a new thread called "Ormus vs Mickman, Dublin Spur, Leinstersqspur et al":D:D:D:D

PS... Any word on the length of Ade's contract?

I have no bother with fellas disagreeing, that's what it's all about, just hate the little digs that go with it.

Not sure, 3 year deal apparently on over 100k :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Very happy with Ade - hope there's a few more in before the end of the window

• Advertisement

Advertisement