Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

Hatch99 wrote: »

Absolutely. As much as I like him we should take the money. Always gave 100% but I never thought he was up to it against the better sides. Great in the air against the Stokes of this world but with the ball on the deck against the big boys he simply made me nervous, always gave the impression he was just about to give away a penalty!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Of all the pictures they could have used, they had to use one that makes him look really sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Shame to loose Dawson but looks a great piece of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I just read the post saying Ade has signed a big smile came across my face :D:D:D Couldn't be happier, it's about fcuking time though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

This year's summer window for clubs in England will close at 11pm local time on Friday August 31st, 2012....

Should be good craic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Alan Sugar tweeting that the Dawson deal is only 5.5 million!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Yeah BBC are reporting it as £5.5 mil too. Which is very cheap if you ask me. I'll think I'll believe BBC's £5.5m over SSN's £9m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

im sure there are clauses in the contract that could allow the fee to go up to £9mil in appearances etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19334852

£7.5m rising to £10.... God knows they could do with a decent centre half! 10% to Forest.

Tom Huddlestone has gone on Loan to stoke.

Delighted we didn't sell him had a rough 18 months of injury some games will be great for him and what a great signing for stoke1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Tom Huddlestone has gone on Loan to stoke.

Delighted we didn't sell him had a rough 18 months of injury some games will be great for him and what a great signing for stoke1

I think that's a decent deal all round. Thudd has a lot of potential, but his lack of agility costs him dearly. If he plays well for Stoke it will increase his price tag for a possible future sale - he might even play his way back in to the Spurs team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Urgh Stoke! :mad: Any team but them! How big must that side be now? At least he won't be able to play against us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Well it's great to finally have a striker, and I love the sound of City paying half his wages still.

Just need one more and a passing midfielder and we are ready to challenge for the top 4 again.

I don't know much about Willian, would he be a direct replacement for Luka? Sounds more like a winger.

I think Hudd on loan is a good move, he still has a lot of potential if he could slim down and get sharp and work on his mobility. Games are what he needs and he will get that at Stoke.

I think we are losing a bit of our heart and soul if Daws goes. Admittedly it sounds like a good fee and he wasn't gonna be a regular. Still. Sad. He was a rock for us for years, especially in big games like Chelsea and Arsenal and AC Milan. Our John Terry (except not a d1ckhead).

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

I think we are losing a bit of our heart and soul if Daws goes. Admittedly it sounds like a good fee and he wasn't gonna be a regular. Still. Sad. He was a rock for us for years, especially in big games like Chelsea and Arsenal and AC Milan. Our John Terry (except not a d1ckhead).[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. He is one of those players who will put their body on the line like Carragher, Vidic, Terry etc. I remember Dawson marking Andy Carroll a few seasons back and the two of them knocked lumps out of each other. Its all good having cultured CBs who can pass the ball but sometimes you need a CB who can tackle,head and fight. I hope this transfer won't come back to haunt AVB. Gallas is very injury prone and Vert may take time to adapt to the English game. I suppose we just have to trust AVBs judgement and Levys transfer policy (gulp).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I share this view re: Hudd -

"Another interesting story that is picking up pace today is the departure (on loan) of T.Hudd. This is extremely interesting; rumours are saying that AVB wants him to get a season of first team football after damn near 2 seasons of injuries. I like this thinking, I`m a T.Hudd lover, big time. The guy can pass a ball that no one else can; he`s very unique in how he strikes the ball for passes and shots alike. And when I first saw of him leaving on loan I was very disappointed. My opinion has changed however, and I refer back to FM. I would do this, I really would, there is every benefit and no loss. We haven`t had him for 2 years so there`s my reason for it completely not being a loss. And the positives…well, he does well, we pick up a brilliant, established, Premier League midfielder for nothing. Alternatively, he plays an average season and we sell him for £12m we forgot we ever had. Or, he doesn`t do well (highly unlikely unless another injury strikes) and we`re back to square one. Genius Andre."

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7513221

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The Guardian have it that we're looking to offload Defoe to QPR so we can make a move for Damiao
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/22/qpr-jermain-defoe-spurs-damiao?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The Guardian have it that we're looking to offload Defoe to QPR so we can make a move for Damiao
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/22/qpr-jermain-defoe-spurs-damiao?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    Going by QPR's ridiculous spending that would probably be another 12m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

If that's true, have we ever seen such wholesale changes in one transfer window at the club? That would be almost all the remaining old guard out, Defoe, King, Dawson, Hudd and almost all new players in. If all these changes go ahead it will definitely take some time for the team to gel but if we swap Defoe for Damiao, Modric for Moutinho, and add perhaps another wide player and keeper, I think we'll be alright this season!

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    If that's true, have we ever seen such wholesale changes in one transfer window at the club? That would be almost all the remaining old guard out, Defoe, King, Dawson, Hudd and almost all new players in. If all these changes go ahead it will definitely take some time for the team to gel but if we swap Defoe for Damiao, Modric for Moutinho, and add perhaps another wide player and keeper, I think we'll be alright this season!

Yes we have seen such wholesale changes before. Anyone care to remember the start of the 2008/09 season. I think we had 7 new faces in the starting 11. That was the start of the infamous 2 points from 8 games Ramos fiasco. I don't think I could take another campaign like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Yes we have seen such wholesale changes before. Anyone care to remember the start of the 2008/09 season. I think we had 7 new faces in the starting 11. That was the start of the infamous 2 points from 8 games Ramos fiasco. I don't think I could take another campaign like that.

Don't remind me! I had plenty of Tottenham relegation party's to attend that year, thankfully they were cancelled!

nbar12 wrote: »
    Don't remind me! I had plenty of Tottenham relegation party's to attend that year, thankfully they were cancelled!

haha. That was the summer we got rid of Robbie, Berba, Robbo, Tanio, Malbranque and bought Gomes, GDS and David Bentley ( i still cannot believe we paid 14m for him.) Lets hope we do a little better this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Im gutted that Daws is going. Like others have said hes a big game player. Im mostly worried because we have to assume gallas is going to pick up a couple of injuries along the way. Which will leave us with Caulker(whose still unproven for us) Kaboul and Vertz(who may need time to adapt). Really not too happy about this.

However it most definitely is good value. To make a profit on a player whose been here for 5/6 years is always good business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Well if we take our first choice pairing to be Gallas and Kaboul, I prefer our backup (Caulker and Vertonghen) to, for instance, Liverpool's (Carragher and Coates) or Man City's (Toure and Savic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Ormus wrote: »
    Well if we take our first choice pairing to be Gallas and Kaboul, I prefer our backup (Caulker and Vertonghen) to, for instance, Liverpool's (Carragher and Coates) or Man City's (Toure and Savic).
    Can't see Verthongen being second choice.

Very happy with Ade - hope there's a few more in before the end of the window

558861_10151056770073505_570412308_n.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

yeah, I want that jersey :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Ormus wrote: »

God if Gallas is first choice we are truly f*cked!!!

• Advertisement

We didn't just sign the captain of Ajax to sit on the bench..

Advertisement