Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Him in and Defoe gone I'd presume? That would provide some great options up front with 2 players that can hold the ball up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Football Agent ‏@FootballAgent49
    Tottenham have agreed a fee of 20m plus add ons for Brazilian striker Leandro Damiao.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ade and Leandro? That'd make my ****ing week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

Anyone else hear about a potential move for Shane Long? Probably (hopefully) nothing. But still...oh lawdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Tottenham have agreed a fee of 20m plus add ons for Brazilian striker Leandro Damiao.

I'll believe it when I see him in a Spurs jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Rob094 wrote: »
    Anyone else hear about a potential move for Shane Long? Probably (hopefully) nothing. But still...oh lawdy.

I can't see Defoe willing to be our 3rd striker if one of Damiao, Lewandowski etc were to sign.. Could Long be our 3rd choice striker, Kane our 4th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Reports all over twitter as well that vdv being sold also.Fee agreed.Hopefully just rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Reports all over twitter as well that vdv being sold also.Fee agreed.Hopefully just rumour.

yeah I've just seen this rumour there a few minutes ago. Apparently he's close to joining Hamburg for £9.5 million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

FootballAgent49?? Jeez, I'd put more faith in the Star that someone with a username like that.. We've been fcuked over by Twitter too many times this summer to put any faith in that site..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Things are certainly hotting up in the transfer market. Could be a mass exodus out, and several new faces in. It's nuts!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Things are certainly hotting up in the transfer market. Could be a mass exodus out, and several new faces in. It's nuts!

Exodus, there's a daily mail buzzword if ever I saw one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

flyswatter wrote: »
    Can't see Verthongen being second choice.

I'm just going by the Newcastle game. Not definitive I know. It's quite possible that Vertonghen is gonna be phased in.

Rob094 wrote: »

Link?

I actually think he would be a great backup striker. Good touch, decent finisher, fast, strong, gets up well, great work rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

I am all for bringing in afew new faces if they make the team stronger but this is getting ridiculous. Last season we finished 4th ( our joint best finish in donkeys years) and if we didn't have that wobble after Feb we would/should have finished higher. But Levy and AVB are dismantling that team. Why?
    I know AVB has his own methods and ideas but why sell ALL your best players? If VDV gets sold I will be p*ssed off. Yes he might be lazy at times but look at what he has contributed over the past two seasons.

I am all for bringing in afew new faces if they make the team stronger but this is getting ridiculous. Last season we finished 4th ( our joint best finish in donkeys years) and if we didn't have that wobble after Feb we would/should have finished higher. But Levy and AVB are dismantling that team. Why?
    I know AVB has his own methods and ideas but why sell ALL your best players? If VDV gets sold I will be p*ssed off. Yes he might be lazy at times but look at what he has contributed over the past two seasons.

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/why-spurs-fans-must-back-villas-boas-over-exits.89663/

Let's wait until we get some actual proof before we go crazy. Random people who are 'ITK' (i.e. brother knows the janitor who say a car that might have belonged to VDV) posting stuff on twitter isn't exactly confirmation that we are selling one of our better players.

Can Naughton play left back? Just thinking we could really use some competition for Benny, as he was poor against Newcastle, and goes a bit mad at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ormus wrote: »

Makes a lot of sense
    Jan Vertonghen was one of the most highly craved central defenders on the continent last term. But because he is spared a baptism of fire against Newcastle United on Saturday, it’s suddenly presumed that William Gallas is a shoo-in for the season. Vertonghen and the massively improved Younes Kaboul will form Spurs’ foundations this term and Stephen Caulker will be pushing them both hard. If a player as experienced as Gallas is happy to play fourth choice, then Spurs have got a great selection of centre-halves all suited to play the system. Michael Dawson deserves and demands a higher standing at a football club than a role sitting on the bench.
    Similarly with Tom Huddlestone, some supporters have almost combusted with fury that he’s been allowed to move on whilst Jermaine Jenas remains a Lilywhite. But we have to read in between the lines. Huddlestone’s first game in 10 months out with injury came against Stevenage during pre-season. He might not like it, but a season away on loan to rebuild Premier League sharpness is the best option all round.

• Advertisement

Good article. But why should we back AVB/Levy no matter what happens in this window. He was handed a team that finished 4th (minus Modric who was always going to leave). King was retiring so a replacemnt was needed and he bought Vertonghen - all fine there. But are wholesale changes needed?

We didn't bring him in because we had a disaster last year and needed a complete change. Yes we had a lot of deadwood that needed to be shifted but selling your best players and hoping the new guys who come in adapt to the EPL and gel with what we have is going to be a huge risk. Avb needs to start well or the knives will be out.
    Fans do not like when their favourites are shown the door and eventually they get over it but only if those replacements are better than the players sold. Whats the point in wholesale changes to a team that got into the Champions league position last season just so AVB can use us to mould a team in his liking, if its not successful.

Kiith wrote: »
    Can Naughton play left back? Just thinking we could really use some competition for Benny, as he was poor against Newcastle, and goes a bit mad at times.

Vertongen is left footed and played as LB for Belgium over the summer. From what I remember he was quite good there too.

As for the changes to the team, as Kiith said let's wait and see what happens. So far the only person that really contributed to our success last year is Modric who we'll hopefully replace. If VDV goes I'd be a bit pissed off as Gylfi is still relatively new to the league and may not be as successful as VDV.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Vertongen is left footed and played as LB for Belgium over the summer. From what I remember he was quite good there too.

As for the changes to the team, as Kiith said let's wait and see what happens. So far the only person that really contributed to our success last year is Modric who we'll hopefully replace. If VDV goes I'd be a bit pissed off as Gylfi is still relatively new to the league and may not be as successful as VDV.

Watched him play V Holland at LB last week and he was excellent. But his favoured position is CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I’m glad Huddlestone is going on loan, hopefully he toughens up at Stoke as he gets easily knocked off the ball. Chap’s never been quick, never will be. Sweet striker of the ball and can pick a pass.

I’m surprised Fulham didn’t come in for him as Jol is a keen admire of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If VDV goes I'd be a bit pissed off as Gylfi is still relatively new to the league and may not be as successful as VDV.

Gylfi isn't new to the Premiership and from what was seen at Newcastle he's already settled right in, he was very impressive.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Gylfi isn't new to the Premiership and from what was seen at Newcastle he's already settled right in, he was very impressive.

He's only had half a season, so is still relatively new. I can't remember much of him at the weekend but I remember being very happy with his corners, which is something we never really had. I'm hoping he does for us exactly what he did for Swansea - score goals from midfield!

Good article. But why should we back AVB/Levy no matter what happens in this window. He was handed a team that finished 4th (minus Modric who was always going to leave). King was retiring so a replacemnt was needed and he bought Vertonghen - all fine there. But are wholesale changes needed?

We didn't bring him in because we had a disaster last year and needed a complete change. Yes we had a lot of deadwood that needed to be shifted but selling your best players and hoping the new guys who come in adapt to the EPL and gel with what we have is going to be a huge risk. Avb needs to start well or the knives will be out.
    Fans do not like when their favourites are shown the door and eventually they get over it but only if those replacements are better than the players sold. Whats the point in wholesale changes to a team that got into the Champions league position last season just so AVB can use us to mould a team in his liking, if its not successful.

I agree to a point. AVB is playing with fire in getting rid of the likes of Dawson, but he has made a decision that he needs quick, mobile players, and he is acting on that. It puts him under more pressure and will make the knives come out quicker if/when things go wrong, but if he shied away from that he would be a loser straight away.

He's only had half a season, so is still relatively new. I can't remember much of him at the weekend but I remember being very happy with his corners, which is something we never really had. I'm hoping he does for us exactly what he did for Swansea - score goals from midfield!

Relatively new to the Premiership but all signs are that he has taken to it like a duck to water. It's not that big an adjustment from the Bundesliga, especially as he was player of the year for Reading before he went to Germany.

Relatively new to the Premiership but all signs are that he has taken to it like a duck to water. It's not that big an adjustment from the Bundesliga, especially as he was player of the year for Reading before he went to Germany.

Agreed, he has fitted right in. Keep it up Glyfi!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭golfball37

Link?

I actually think he would be a great backup striker. Good touch, decent finisher, fast, strong, gets up well, great work rate.

And from a county of course with a great track record of marking defenders out of the game !:)

Advertisement