Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

Mactard wrote: »
    kane out to norwich on loan

sure then we only have ade and defoe as our strikers:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

nipps wrote: »
    Mactard wrote: »
    kane out to norwich on loan

sure then we only have ade and defoe as our strikers:eek:
    Dempsey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

A lot of negative comments about dempsey. Im fkn delighted. Would be a greet transfer window if modric stil with us, but thats life. I would have Dempsey up front every time instead of Ade. He does'nt get much pace on his shots and goes missing for weeks. He scored 17 goals last season but should have got more. Dempsey is a strong player who imo will be in the team ahead of Ade soon. Just dunno who's gona pick the passes from midfield. The squad looks a lot better than it did a week ago. Kaboul out is a worry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Im paraphasing here but didnt Dempsey say something along the lines of "if i dont get to sign for liverpool, i will retire from football".

Talk about double standards from spurs. Modric strikes and we move him on and use the money to buy someone like Dempsey.
    If you were to worry about them things all the time you would never follow football.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    A lot of negative comments about dempsey. Im fkn delighted. Would be a greet transfer window if modric stil with us, but thats life. I would have Dempsey up front every time instead of Ade. He does'nt get much pace on his shots and goes missing for weeks. He scored 17 goals last season but should have got more. Dempsey is a strong player who imo will be in the team ahead of Ade soon. Just dunno who's gona pick the passes from midfield. The squad looks a lot better than it did a week ago. Kaboul out is a worry though.
    Spot on lad,Dempsey will score goals up front for us.and the squad is as you say a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Listen lads if we weren't in for Moutinho then this would have been seen as a brilliant transfer window for Spurs. Lloris: a brilliant, proven, world class goalkeeper. Dempsey: a proven goalscorer, provides assists, can play in the centre, on the wing and as a striker if needed, and proven in the PL, surely has another 3 good seasons, and at £6 million he was a bargain. Verts seems like he will be good, and he was good in Holland and is good for Belgium so hopefully that will continue. Dembele is being hailed as one of the signings of the window. Ade was needed badly and once he picks up where he left off I'll be happy, even if he does go lazy now and again. Sigurdsson has shown last season he can be brilliant. We offloaded fairly good too in my opinion, apart from Modric obviously but hey he wanted to go and we got a good deal.

As I said the fact we were in for Mouthinho and the deal fell through just puts a bit of a downer on the window but if that wasn't the case then it would look brilliant, very good strengthening of the squad with some quality players for good deals.

The only worry I have now is centre back, let's just hope that holds till January. Also let's hope Villa-Boas gets the team set up well over the next few weeks and we start getting some good results and seeing good football. It would be brilliant to finish 3rd or 4th this season, especially with the quality of players we have (even though we will probably need to do business in January). I'd be happy with a top 6 finish this season though, but definitively should be challenging for 3rd or 4th. If not then top 6 would be ok, once AVB gets things right and gets a frequent starting 11 and brings that to next season where we should be right up there for 3rd or 4th and even title challenging.

Well said chops018,everyone else thinks we done great in the window except some Spurs fans who expect too much,as regards your worries about CB position at least we still have Daws available to us while Kabule is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

I'm well happy with the deals done.
    Love to see Dawson come back in to the team and be a legend again.
    Great player in my eyes. He's like the Teddy Sheringham of defending. Always in the right spot at the right time.
    I remember watching him keep Tevez and Ade in his pocket at the Lane in one of Mark Hughes's last games in charge of City.
    Caulker is also an option, so I wouldn't be worried about CB.

Our midfield can only be described as awesome. This will be our power house for the season and should see us get even more from Garth Bale who is world class. Dempsey was an astute signing. We'll be fine for goals this season. The goals will come from every where. The opposition won't know who to mark.
    Look at Chelsea. They only have Torres as a recognised forward!

The football will be fast and furious and we will have many good times to come at the Lane :)

If AVB system works, I could see us destroy Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm just sad at losing VdV

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

PA-Photos_t_Arsenal-2-3-Tottenham-photos-gallery-Emirates-2011q.jpg&h=180&w=250&zc=1&q=90

Arse 2 Yidos 3 :D
    Ah man, like a lot of us :(
    All the best to him and his family.
    Onwards and upwards though.
    We got some giant slaying to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Delighted with the deals made, what's with the Dempesy bashing? If he can recreate his form from last season, then we've made a cute signing. I predict him to finish top goal scorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Taken from SSN website just now. No idea if its old hat or not!

"There is no news yet on Joao Moutinho - but the deal still on the cards, with reports claiming Spurs have been granted an extension to complete the deal"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Gutted we didn't get Moutinho, but fcuk it, let's get on with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If Dempsey can reproduce last seasons form then great - we have an awesone signing. But he played a lot of games last season and he wont see as much game time this year.

Signing Moutinho would have been a statement of intent. He is the managers No.1 target all summer after all. The difference between us and the rest is that United, City and chelsea would have signed Moutinho while ourselves, arsenal and liverpool settle for the Dempsey's of this world.

I know they are two completely different types of players and maybe the plan was to sign both but it comes down to this - you build your team around players like Moutinho, you do not build your team around players like Dempsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Signing Moutinho would have been a statement of intent. He is the managers No.1 target all summer after all. The difference between us and the rest is that United, City and chelsea would have signed Moutinho while ourselves, arsenal and liverpool settle for the Dempsey's of this world.

Ah lad, thats a bit harsh. Let's not forget we finished last year above chelsea. We've got to generate our transfer income organically where as city and chelsea just go to the money tree. Gooners have a stadium that packs in 20,000 extra bodies and united, well they're united. We are competing with this lot and financing a new stadium too. The truth be told, if money generation is the key, we shouldn't be in front of liverpool either. I think we're being run very well at the moment and the long term out look is bloody good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

/\ very fair and valid point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

is the moutinho deal officially dead ???

lets face it , our window has been a hell of a lot better than liverpools :-)

they have only suarez up front, chelsea have torres and sturridge .If torres or suarez get injured then those teams are in big trouble

dempsey for me is a great signing, kind of like parker last year. You will get 100% every game and he is a very good solid player

Lloris = very good (hopefully)

Dembele = excellent

Pity we didnt get moutinho but a midfield 3 of dembele / sandro / siggy is pretty good to cover all bases

front 3 of ade / bale and lennon

my only grip is that bentley and jenas are still drawing wages!!!!!!!!!!! - how long do they have left in their contracts ?

Did hudd go on loan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

mickman wrote: »
    Did hudd go on loan ?

No it was too late to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Yep, at least we can find solace in the shambolic transfers at Anfield, my Liverpool mates are distraught!:D:D

Is it strange that the club haven't made an announcement on the Moutinho deal? *****clutches at straws*****

I honestly didn't think we would let the talismanic Vdv go without bringing in that elusive 'marquee signing'....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Yep, at least we can find solace in the shambolic transfers at Anfield, my Liverpool mates are distraught!:D:D

Is it strange that the club haven't made an announcement on the Moutinho deal? *****clutches at straws*****

I honestly didn't think we would let the talismanic Vdv go without bringing in that elusive 'marquee signing'....

I live in hope until its offically announced :)

• Advertisement

AVB: “This has been a busy transfer window and I cannot praise highly enough the efforts the Club made to sign Joao Moutinho. I have said all along that this was never an easy transfer and as such we never had enormous expectations of getting this deal across the line."
    http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/summer-transfer-window-wrap-01092012.page?

DAMN!

when you think about it, we stole dembele from united and dempsey from liverpool - it wasnt a bad window :-)

also it looks like we are going to be trying to place the high pressing game like barcelona etc.

Barcelona dont really have a player like modric , someone who sits back and makes passes from midfield, all their midfielders press up together and pass amongst each other all the way up the field

so if we are going to play this kind of game then dembele / sandro / siggy will do jus fine

Barcelona dont really have a player like modric , someone who sits back and makes passes from midfield, all their midfielders press up together and pass amongst each other all the way up the field

Xavi

xavi pushes up field much more than modric. luca would often make a great pass down the wing to release lennon and bale and would not follow through to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I really don't think we should be comparing our selves to Liverpool they have had a terrible few seasons and transfer windows, threadbare squad and whatever the opposite to a prolific strike force is.

We need to be looking at Arsenal and for me I don't know if we have done enough to come out on top in May I think it mostly depends on how well Dembele fits in!

I think we are stronger than arsenal this year. They have lost song and rvp - without them last season they would have finished 6th!

xavi pushes up field much more than modric. luca would often make a great pass down the wing to release lennon and bale and would not follow through to attack.

Nah, Modric is the exact style of player as Xavi just Xavi chips in with more goals. Was surprised Barca never made a move for him as Xavi is getting on, guess they've no money..

Style of play - Xavi's claim as one of the best midfielders of his generation relies largely on his ability to find and exploit space. As said by Xavi himself: "That's what I do: look for spaces. All day. I'm always looking". Xavi's abnormally good vision, pinpoint accurate passing and world class ball control allow him to dictate the flow of play whilst rarely relinquishing possession. His ability to completely control some matches has earned him the sobriquet, "The Puppet Master"

Ok - fair enough :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I think we are stronger than arsenal this year. They have lost song and rvp - without them last season they would have finished 6th!

I agree with mickman. Arsenal have no real holding midfielders other than Pingpong and he's either suspended or injured. Thus Arteta has to sit back thus taking some creativity out of their attack - hence no goals yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I agree with mickman. Arsenal have no real holding midfielders other than Pingpong and he's either suspended or injured. Thus Arteta has to sit back thus taking some creativity out of their attack - hence no goals yet.

say **** all lads, rememeber last season :mad:

Advertisement