Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

Moutinho and Porto completely ruled out a move to Spurs in January back in September. Neither party were impressed with the way Levy did business. We would have signed him only for a moving of the goalposts at the last minute I believe they claimed.

I still think we need 2 strikers personally. I'd take Long but he'd be 4th choice and no higher. He's not good enough to play for Spurs but he's still a hell of a lot better than Dempsey.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Long, no...just no.

As for whatever Porto said, take it with a dollop of salt and a lot of cynicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I'd personally love Long to be a squad player for us, think he would be great cover and is still improving every week.

As for Llorente, I've been saying it for 3/4 years that we should sign him! Let it happen PLEASE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

2j4ccci.jpg
    Could Big Tom be making way this January for a certain Portuguese playmaker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

2j4ccci.jpg
    Could Big Tom be making way this January for a certain Portuguese playmaker?

here is hoping. i have lost all faith in tom this year - not good enough

• Advertisement

But wasn't there an article recently where AVB was praising The Hudd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

AVB seems to praise everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm sure this was probably for his performances in training and was made before he started playing! :p

He did the same for Daws. He needs both of them at the moment so the praise serves a purpose. Can't see either of them forming part of AVB's future squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

He did the same for Daws. He needs both of them at the moment so the praise serves a purpose. Can't see either of them forming part of AVB's future squad.

Exactly, it seems to be something AVB is good at from what we have seen so far.

Another fcuker more than happy to sit on his 50k p/w wages

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8319266?

Hatch99 wrote: »

Whoa, whoa, whoa..... Let us not forget when we used to speak of 'the Gomez factor', he had a blinder of season when we got into the Champions League and the following season bar his blunders away to Madrid (he wasn't the only one that night too)....

I'm surprised AVB didn't give him a clean slate... I feel sorry for him to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I'd imagine though that although the game in Brazil is financially better off now (hence they can keep hold of the young stars for longer) it wouldn't be in the position to offer that sort of wage to Gomes.

Some clubs could manage it. Corinthians were heavily invested in remember and bought Tevez from Boca who are an elite South American club. That was pretty unusual for a player to leave that kind of Club and not go straight to Europe.

I guess my point is some Brazilian clubs could now afford Gomes wage demands but certainly not the majority of them.

flyswatter wrote: »
    I guess my point is some Brazilian clubs could now afford Gomes wage demands but certainly not the majority of them.

The grievance is that Gomez is quoted saying he would like to finish his career in Brazil (32 in Feb). If he wanted to go he should have been prepared to accept a wage close to that of a third/fourth choice EPL or South American keeper and instead he's probably just running out his contract so he gets a bigger signing on fee.

It's a shame he lost his nerve at Spurs because he's supposed to be a great character in the dressing room (quote Sandro)..

Hatch99 wrote: »

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8319266?

Dodgy keeper. Couldn't catch a cold. I remember mistakes against West Brom, Chelsea, Man Utd and Real Madrid off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

Unfortunately, very prone to making mistakes, clearly suffered with his nerves. That said he was an amazing shot stopper, remember him winning us the game v Arsenal at WHL, when we qualified for the CL, with three or four outstanding saves late on. Will always have a soft spot for him.

Whoa, whoa, whoa..... Let us not forget when we used to speak of 'the Gomez factor', he had a blinder of season when we got into the Champions League and the following season bar his blunders away to Madrid (he wasn't the only one that night too)....

I'm surprised AVB didn't give him a clean slate... I feel sorry for him to be honest.

Ah cmon man, he's brutal, made as many errors as great saves

Flawed goalkeeper really. Definitely has plenty of ability but prone to terrible lapses at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Dodgy keeper. Couldn't catch a cold. I remember mistakes against West Brom, Chelsea, Man Utd and Real Madrid off the top of my head.

I'll NEVER forget the mistake away to Fulham...

• Advertisement

All these experts and sports scientists and yet they bought a Brazilian goalie. It's like when teams let left-footers take penalties. It's a footballing sin....I'm sure there's a section in the Bible about it.

For every blunder there were 2 - 3 world class saves, like this one;

He made some unbelievable saves, but as already mentioned he was a real confidence keeper who was prone to the odd mistake, which really killed his confidence. In the season we qualified for the CL, except for the very start of the season, he was brilliant. I wish it had worked out as he always seemed like a likeable guy.

Apparently Levy handed him his P45 but he dropped it. Gomes tried valiantly to stop the Tottenham rioters. Unfortunately they went straight through his legs.

All these experts and sports scientists and yet they bought a Brazilian goalie. It's like when teams let left-footers take penalties. It's a footballing sin....I'm sure there's a section in the Bible about it.

Portuguese refs too. That was always a solid and reliable footballing cliche. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

SuprSi wrote: »
    For every blunder there were 2 - 3 world class saves, like this one;
    He made some unbelievable saves, but as already mentioned he was a real confidence keeper who was prone to the odd mistake, which really killed his confidence. In the season we qualified for the CL, except for the very start of the season, he was brilliant. I wish it had worked out as he always seemed like a likeable guy.

Goalies are rightly judged on the number of mistakes rather than the world class saves. Gomes made too many of the former.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You could tell the defense lacked confidence in him, which is a massive problem. They never looked comfortable, and neither did i. Always worried that he'd make a mistake. Getting in Friedel was the best decision Harry made for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

gomes just can't be trusted

he was given a fair crack but ultimately failed in the end

always looks like an accident waiting to happen

Ah yeah, just a shame as he seemed like a good character..

When do we announce the signing of Llorente? We bid £30m on him last season and he's going on a free in the summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Moutinho and Llorenthe you would think are the 2 stars that we really want and a little part of me thinks we will get at least 1 in January.....
    But, who am i kidding??

Probably end up getting Marc Albrighton.

• Advertisement

Moutinho and Llorenthe you would think are the 2 stars that we really want and a little part of me thinks we will get at least 1 in January.....
    But, who am i kidding??

Probably end up getting Marc Albrighton.

I think those 2 would turn us into some team!

Advertisement