Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

tippspur wrote: »
    I've always hated transfer windows,99% of it is crap.

G'wan outta that. You'll be there like the rest of us - glued to SSN on the last day

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_R6C47KogIaxKsGsTgLJzvUaqh-xS6ps1bOpzonHCRMe4zYzAJCb7Ow-60g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/...ransfer-window

Probably is a good sign, you never meet a poor bookmaker. It is likely that a combination of the below has lead to the odds:
    • Someone knows something about a bid being made in this window
    • Someone knows something about Internacional's valuation of the player
    • Previous bids in summer
    • AVB comments
    • Adebayor travelling to ACN
    • Papertalk

Please let it happen!

The market is now gone. This tells us that either (a.) BetVictor have reached their exposure limit on this market and aren't accepting any more bets or (b.) BetVictor have found out that a deal has been done/finalised so are not accepting any more bets.*

*my own little deductive rumour mill

SuprSi wrote: »
    There is ITK talk about this fella, with those that watch the Ligue 1 rating him very highly. Still, as you said it's most likely nonsense.

Good article about him here http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130108/skillful-attacker-who-could-be-his-way-spurs-188837

but he's also off to the ACN so i'd say its dead in the water.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

I enjoy the transfer window. It's a bit of fun and passes the dark days after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Don't be surprised to see Harry Kane recalled and/or Coulthirst/Coulibaly promoted to first team over the next few weeks.

However, I recall someone saying something about January signings never making an impact that season. Well I'd like to point you to Demba Ba (2011) and Papiss Cisse (2012).

But I'm worried that there aren't many of these types of players out there who could have that impact and are cheap. Brazilian league is in off season currently so it would make sense for Leandro Damaio to join in January and not August. However I'm not holding my breath, if I did I would have been dead a few years ago!... Therefore recalling Kane and/or promoting one of the youth players makes unfortunate sense right now.

While Ade is away it will be 1 of 3 options
    1. Defoe upfront with Dempsey in behind.
    2. Defoe upfront on his own.
    3. Dempsey up front on his own (if Defoe is unavailable)

I think it will be a cold day in hell before AVB put Kane or anyone else upfront (except for maybe the last 10-15 mins)

While Ade is away it will be 1 of 3 options
    1. Defoe upfront with Dempsey in behind.
    2. Defoe upfront on his own.
    3. Dempsey up front on his own (if Defoe is unavailable)

I think it will be a cold day in hell before AVB put Kane or anyone else upfront (except for maybe the last 10-15 mins)

Dempsey could get injured again. Defoe hasn't gone a full season without an injury in quite a while so in that sense is due an injury. Two strikers is not much to go by for a crucial part of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

irishmover wrote: »
    Dempsey could get injured again. Defoe hasn't gone a full season without an injury in quite a while so in that sense is due an injury. Two strikers is not much to go by for a crucial part of the season.

Exactly, and more importantly 2 strikers isn't anywhere near enough for a team with top 4 ambitions! Ade's U-turn on his decision to play for Togo should be seen as a sign that he's not that interested in Spurs, especially now that he has his permanent contract. If Leandro came in, I could see Ade being sold in the summer. Sure we only paid £5m for him and Levy would no doubt get 3 - 4 times that amount out of someone!

Furthermore, Dempsey isn't really an out and out striker. I wouldn't be overly confident having him upfront on his own.

I'd like to see some confidence in our youth again and put one of them on the bench, with a few minutes here and there to see if they can impact anything. Why aren't we capable of producing a player who can make an impact in the first team like Raheem Sterling et al.

The solution isn't always to sign a player. Leandro Damaio should have been signed long ago if the club regarded him so highly. Would he really be the missing puzzle this half of the season?

• Advertisement

Well its sods law that 1 of them will get injured straight away. In fact they'll probably bump into eachother during the warm up before the Man U game and end up out for 6 weeks each knowing our luck.

I cant see us spending a significant amount of money on anyone. There is just isnt the availablilty or those that our available are too risky.

I hope we do sign someone, even if its just along the line of Saha - someone who can come in and do a job in the short term until Ade gets back and hopefully our MF can chip in with some goals and we scrap by...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

SuprSi wrote: »
    Ade's U-turn on his decision to play for Togo should be seen as a sign that he's not that interested in Spurs, especially now that he has his permanent contract.

I don't agree with that at all. I seriosuly doubt the club are that naive to think the Togolese FA wouldn't honour their debts so that their captain would join up with the squad.

AVB, Levy et al should/would have been prepared for this eventuality. I just hope they don't have Ryan Nelsen and Louis Saha in their sights!:eek:

I dont want a Saha type signing any more then you do but I'd rather have a Saha type signing then no signing at all and be left with Sigi or Bale upfront or something daft like that.

Well its sods law that 1 of them will get injured straight away. In fact they'll probably bump into eachother during the warm up before the Man U game and end up out for 6 weeks each knowing our luck.

I cant see us spending a significant amount of money on anyone. There is just isnt the availablilty or those that our available are too risky.

I hope we do sign someone, even if its just along the line of Saha - someone who can come in and do a job in the short term until Ade gets back and hopefully our MF can chip in with some goals and we scrap by...

No thanks to another Saha type of signing. The club has spent far too long working on youth development. This current crop is the first lot of our new system. Yet to understand why faith isn't being shown in a couple of them. Heck even John Obika is banging in the goals!..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We should definitely get Holtby early if we can, and we really need another striker. 1 senior striker at the club (with Ade gone) simply isn't good enough.

Jesus I wish journalists would stop writing articles without quotes from reputable people related to the article. Looks like that was plucked right out of where the sun don't shine!

Hope it's true though.

Jesus I wish journalists would stop writing articles without quotes from reputable people related to the article. Looks like that was plucked right out of where the sun don't shine!

Hope it's true though.

Athlone?

Schalke attempting to sign Dynamo Kiev's attacker Raffael on a loan signing until the end of the season. Hotlby on the way?!

• Advertisement

I rarely believe the quotes of agents. Their job is to follow the money, so everything they say is said in a way which might make them more money.

As a football fan, there is very little in this world that I hate more than football agents. I'd say managers and chairmen must despise even acknowledging them.

I rarely believe the quotes of agents. Their job is to follow the money, so everything they say is said in a way which might make them more money.

As a football fan, there is very little in this world that I hate more than football agents. I'd say managers and chairmen must despise even acknowledging them.

That is very true. However quotes of this has been a trend almost every window we've been linked with him.

ae3d21da874428e1c82997e0ab666e7e.jpg

Club confirm Adebayor departure to ACN.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8387554?

I think Adebayor has summed up football and particularly, the transfer window...

"There is a difference between what you say to the press and what you say in private."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Oh the irony of ade talking about that to the press :P

Inter president talking about Damaio leaving in January.

'no offer from inter Milan, would have to be a very attractive offer for us to sell in January' doesn't really give much away in terms of Spurs. Doesnt look like there's been any offer made from us.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8387593?

Adebayor in shocking revelation:rolleyes::rolleyes::

"There is a difference between what you say to the press and what you say in private."

You don't say! Now let's just sit back and let the the media concoct a rift in the Spurs camp when really the only thing he said is that his manager wanted him to stay...

Inter president talking about Damaio leaving in January.

'no offer from inter Milan, would have to be a very attractive offer for us to sell in January' doesn't really give much away in terms of Spurs. Doesnt look like there's been any offer made from us.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8387593?

January being their off season, surely that's exactly when they want to sell!

• Advertisement

January being their off season, surely that's exactly when they want to sell!

Exactly, otherwise they'd only be interested in selling in August after Copa de Libertadores... Neither really suits Spurs..

Advertisement