Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Any chance Porto signing Marat means Moutinho is on the way?
    http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=1910789.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Would we sign Moutinho and Holtby though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

January being their off season, surely that's exactly when they want to sell!

Yeah, during the Summer their chairman was saying that they won't sell during their season. Meaning they will only sell in our Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Kiith wrote: »

Two different style of players so don't see why that would influence anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Holtby
    Bale ---- ---- Lennon
    --- Sandro - Moutinho ---

I reckon that's how it would look. Thing is, then we've got Dempsey, Dembele and Gylfi to squeeze in, and we know how good Dembele can be.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »

Holtby
    Bale ---- ---- Lennon
    --- Sandro - Moutinho ---

I reckon that's how it would look. Thing is, then we've got Dempsey, Dembele and Gylfi to squeeze in, and we know how good Dembele can be.

Holtby is able to play all across attacking midfield. He won't be displacing Dembele, even though he can play that position unless Dembele hugely drops in form (god I hope not). He's a very versatile option to add competition to a number of places.

But yes Moutinho would sit where you have him as a Modric style position and Holtby would be competition to players further forward, inside forward off Lennon's wing would be interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

How does Moutinho compare to Modric? Isn't he meant to be a more dynamic player (defence to attack, maybe more tenacious?) I don't know enough about him.

We'll need more than three/four midfielders to have a squad that can challenge for honours... Look at United's squad (fair enough some are getting on but) Young, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Cleverly, Fletcher, Kagawa, Anderson, Nani, Valencia....

It's the likes of Jenas and Huddlstone who will be replaced with quality, versatile players giving us strength in depth in numerous positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

We'll need more than three/four midfielders to have a squad that can challenge for honours... Look at United's squad (fair enough some are getting on but) Young, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Cleverly, Fletcher, Kagawa, Anderson, Nani, Valencia....

It's the likes of Jenas and Huddlstone who will be replaced with quality, versatile players giving us strength in depth in numerous positions.

That's it. The more good players we have, the better. It's the fringe players who at the moment are maybe not up to it, Huddlestone being a prime example.

Although for some reason I can't see us spending big money on a Moutinho like we all hope. This transfer window smacks of the one when we qualified for the CL and failed to kick on. No doubt we'll be linked with some top players, but I'd be shocked if we actually went out and got one.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Although for some reason I can't see us spending big money on a Moutinho like we all hope. This transfer window smacks of the :Done when we qualified for the CL and failed to kick on. No doubt we'll be linked with some top players, but I'd be shocked if we actually went out and got one.

It's true, we're more likely to sign a player in the mould of Mido, Rasiak or Saha on loan until the summer. But we can always speculate and dream!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

This is true - my god huddlestone is the least versatile player we have. Centre mid only and only barely puts in a shift there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Come on crazy rumours! As annoying as they can be, i still love reading them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Well Damiao's Agent has come out saing no bids have come in and they expect him to stay during this window. - That's from Ben Pearse

Then Damiao reportedly said that he had no offers but couldn't guarantee he'd stay if an offer came in. - No idea where that quote came from though I lost the source.

http://www.enfieldindependent.co.uk/sport/10153725._/?

1 in 3 chance most likely that it's us he's talking to. Or possible its all 3 he's discussing it with. Or he could just be on a short holiday in London!

Would personally prefer this guy to Damaio considering everything that's gone on over the last 4-5 windows.

Come on crazy rumours! As annoying as they can be, i still love reading them :D

Sevilla president in London today to discuss deal for Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Arsenal target Alvaro Negredo....? Don't know much about him.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/sport/spurs/10153725._/

Sevilla president in London today to discuss deal for Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Arsenal target Alvaro Negredo....? Don't know much about him.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/sport/spurs/10153725._/

He played twice for Spain in Euro 2012.

52 goals in 3.5 years at Sevilla in 112 appearances. 4 years older than Damiao but is already on the continent would probably cost less and Spanish players would most likely adapt to English leagues quicker. Although in saying that we only have youth Spanish players at Spurs whereas we have Sandro in the first team. It's a toss of the coin really. Damaio would have resell value whereas Negredo is approaching peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'm not 100% convinced by Negredo. His goalscoring record is there for all to see, he pretty much averages a goal every two games regardless who or what level he's playing at. But, for some reason I don't think he's going to add a lot to us. Not sure why, I guess I've seen him play a few times and he never stood out.

Well Arsenal surely don't need him, especially with Walcott likely to sign a new deal and Chelsea have just got Ba, so they're unlikely to need anyone either though you'd never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Negredo - sure he was everyones flavour of the month about 2 years ago!
    He'd probbably come in and do a job but I dont think he's the 20+ goals a season player we want to elevate us to the next level.

I'd sooner spend the money on michu who is only 26 years old and has a similar goal to game ratio (probably better considering he played alot of those in MF) AND we know he can able the EPL so there's no risk there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Negredo - sure he was everyones flavour of the month about 2 years ago!
    He'd probbably come in and do a job but I dont think he's the 20+ goals a season player we want to elevate us to the next level.

I'd sooner spend the money on michu who is only 26 years old and has a similar goal to game ratio (probably better considering he played alot of those in MF) AND we know he can able the EPL so there's no risk there.
    No chance Michu would be sold in January imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

No chance Michu would be sold in January imo.

I would have thought so too but I read something yesterday whereby one of their executives (or similar) said something along the lines of 'everyone has their price" .. cant recall of they where direct quotes or if the source was reliable.

Saab Ed wrote: »

Very interesting. Lot's of other quotes from him too. I wonder how legitimate they are and whether the original was a typo or mistake? Highly likely or highly unlikely?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

He's a reporter for the Times - supposedly AVB said it in a press conference this morning. Reliable?

edit: After reading the previous tweets about not being able to do anything if Defoe is injured I'm starting to think it may be a typo :( i.e. unlikely

https://twitter.com/garyjacob/status/289366378824232961

I would have thought so too but I read something yesterday whereby one of their executives (or similar) said something along the lines of 'everyone has their price" .. cant recall of they where direct quotes or if the source was reliable.

Actually, quick google - the quotes where from Wales manager Chris Coleman. Sure what would he know.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

"Thfc AVB CORRECTION TYPO.. "unlikely" that sign damiao. Not likely! Sorry"

https://twitter.com/garyjacob/status/289373874439720960

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

Negredo was behind Torres in the Spanish pecking order last few tournaments which means he's not that good. For 10m he'd be a good buy though.

"Thfc AVB CORRECTION TYPO.. "unlikely" that sign damiao. Not likely! Sorry"

https://twitter.com/garyjacob/status/289373874439720960

Bugger - had my hopes up for all of 5 minutes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »

It'll be good for him to get a good run of games. Very interested to see how he performs.

Advertisement