Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

irishmover wrote: »
    By the way you guys do realise that Obika is 22 and will be 23 in September. Hardly our youth to be honest.

Yep, he only played yesterday because he's the most senior of our 'youth'. Coulthirst and Coulibaly are better prospects, but have little experience playing senior football.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    So just because he hasn't played, he shouldn't be considered ?? Obika is a better option is he, I'll take that as a joke ? Benteke has played ahead of him and deservedly so, and Bent has been injured too.

I think both bent and obika are huge risks if those are the options you're working with, and if it's between those two only then i'd rather have obika not scoring for us than having bent not score for us. Personally i want a player who is match sharp and can score...one can dream.

You do remember he was a Spurs player before? And we sold him because he was useless. It would be a huge step backwards to sign Bent.

In fairness to bent, he scored 24 Premier League goals in 38 appearances for Sunderland after he left us.

I think Darren Bent was a square peg in a round hole at the time for Spurs. He was unlucky more than anything else. Berba and Keano were on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yep, he only played yesterday because he's the most senior of our 'youth'. Coulthirst and Coulibaly are better prospects, but have little experience playing senior football.

I actually still don't know why he played yesterday. I also still don't know how he's still at the club to be honest. I hadn't rated him as having much potential since 2009-2010. Still though it was the wrong time to give him a run out so wont hold it against him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

. He is a second rate Defoe.

From 09/10 to date, who do you think has scored more premier league goals ?

• Advertisement

From 09/10 to date, who do you think has scored more premier league goals ?

Van Persie? Berbatov?

I actually still don't know why he played yesterday. I also still don't know how he's still at the club to be honest. I hadn't rated him as having much potential since 2009-2010. Still though it was the wrong time to give him a run out so wont hold it against him

I have nothing against Obika, but let's be honest, he's not up to it lads. Hopefully one of the younger lads is, hopefully by this time next year, we'll know.

Van Persie? Berbatov?

:D between defoe and bent

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

In fairness to bent, he scored 24 Premier League goals in 38 appearances for Sunderland after he left us.

I think Darren Bent was a square peg in a round hole at the time for Spurs. He was unlucky more than anything else. Berba and Keano were on fire.

A common misconception. Berbatov and Keane were sold in the same transfer window leaving Bent as our number one striker for 2008/09. Harry sold him the following summer as he was useless.

:D between defoe and bent

:D

• Advertisement

Apparently BILD is saying a deals been struck between Spurs and Schalke for Holtby to join now. I guess this is something that wouldnt surprise many.

I agree with you on Obika. He had numerous loan spells with Yeovil and never really set the world a light. If he can't do it at that level he's never going to be pushing Defoe for a place in our first-team.

I can only assume he played for one of three possible reasons. One, to get him in the shop window. Two, to highlight to Levy the need for another senior striker. Or three, he was the only fit striker we had available who had played senior football. He could have plated for all three reasons too.

A common misconception. Berbatov and Keane were sold in the same transfer window leaving Bent as our number one striker for 2008/09. Harry sold him the following summer as he was useless.

Bent has still scored more than Defoe in the last couple of years has he not.

Bent has still scored more than Defoe in the last couple of years has he not.

If the stats say he has then it must be true. The stats can also cover up a lot of the things Bent does not do or the amount of chances it takes him to score or his all round game or his terrible first touch etc....Personally I would not pay money to watch Darren Bent play football.
    Then again I don't really rate Defoe.

If the stats say he has then it must be true. The stats can also cover up a lot of the things Bent does not do or the amount of chances it takes him to score or his all round game or his terrible first touch etc....Personally I would not pay money to watch Darren Bent play football.
    Then again I don't really rate Defoe.

This has been defoe's biggest problem over the years, he needs 3 chances to score. Anyway let's not argue, we all want the same thing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

We're so desperate for a striker, I probably would have Bent back. I reckon he would do well for us because of 1 thing, he would be playing under AVB and not Harry. If he came back, he would know he'd have a point to prove and I reckon he would bang the goals in if he was given the chance

This has been defoe's biggest problem over the years, he needs 3 chances to score. Anyway let's not argue, we all want the same thing.....

yup its becoming very frustrating. Everyone knows we are so desperate for a striker ( especially if the rumours of Defoes injury are correct) that the price will be inflated. And once again Daniel Levy will wait until the last moment to make a deal. Watch us being linked with every striker under the sun for the next few days only for all the supposed deals to fall through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Bent is a 2nd rate striker.

Re-signing Bent would be a step backwards, however finishing outside the top 4 is also a step backwards.

If signing Bent meant finishing in the top 4 then I guess the ends justify the means but we'd still be stuck with a 2nd rate striker with a large contract and an age with no re-sale value.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Seems the holtby deal is done, as its not a deadline day signing i guess levy pushed it through knowing he HAS to find a striker ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

RE Darren Bent I wouldnt have him back again he is too inconcistient for us..we already have 2 random misfiring strikers!

we need a top top striker who can score if given 1 chance cos sometimes thats all ya get in a tight game & a RVP type is what we are crying out for,

SSN are reporting Holtby will be joining us early for deffo.. i cant wait to get him at WHL & get rid of slow lazy Hudd..

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    RE Darren Bent I wouldnt have him back again he is too inconcistient for us..we already have 2 random misfiring strikers!

we need a top top striker who can score if given 1 chance cos sometimes thats all ya get in a tight game & a RVP type is what we are crying out for,SSN are reporting Holtby will be joining us early for deffo.. i cant wait to get him at WHL & get rid of slow lazy Hudd..

That's what we all want, but lets be honest, we ain't gonna get one for the dollars we are willing to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Holtby is going to be a squad player and provide cover for parker and sandro so he is not going to set the team alight any time soon

We would want a top striker but lets face it, levy just wont spend the cash.

Bent on loan is my prediction anyway and to be honest id be happy enough with it as it will prob be either that or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

And whats all the drama about hooper - he is scoring in the scottish league - i could score up there myself

That's what we all want, but lets be honest, we ain't gonna get one for the dollars we are willing to spend.

I agree Im just hoping levy is keeping his cards close to his chest & will get us a great striker by deadline day.

Id take Hooper over nothing as a good option to have on the bench & put pressure of defoe & ade..he is well abovet bent but nowhere near a leandro diamo level of quality we crave/need to convert all those chances out wingers supply & move us up to 3rd this season and long term.

Levy must see this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

mickman wrote: »
    Holtby is going to be a squad player and provide cover for parker and sandro so he is not going to set the team alight any time soon.

True he may take a while to settle in but he's far from a Parker/Sandro style. He has 7 assists in the BL this season, he's technically good, great ball control, creative with a good eye for a pass.. Very versatile, can play No.10..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

mickman wrote: »
    And whats all the drama about hooper - he is scoring in the scottish league - i could score up there myself

Maybe you should think of heading over then mick and earn a few pound from it.

Hooper is a decent player and can take his chances he doesn't seem to need 3 or 4 chances to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

3 or 4 chances? Scored 10 goals in 94 shots this season apparently!!:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Great news to get Holtby in now, I wonder does Levy have an ace up his sleeve? fingers crossed lads.

Advertisement