Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

according to my twitter feed, Arsenal are in for David Villa. I'll be sickened if they sign him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Lewis Holtby is a Van der Vaart replacement. He is nothing like Sandro or Parker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Member of Spurs community reckons Defoe is out for 4 weeks....

If true, this couldn't have backfired any worse on Levy, we'll smell of desperation and clubs will hold out for big offers. Bad negotiating position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

City are looking to get rid of Balotelli. Would we be interested????? Not me anyway but...

Glebee wrote: »
    City are looking to get rid of Balotelli. Would we be interested????? Not me anyway but...

I don't think a single sane Spurs fan would want this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

irishmover wrote: »

I don't think a single sane Spurs fan would want this.[/Quote

I know but the thoughts of it makes me cringe....

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Yes please to the above, we require a striker to hit the ground running not another journeyman. Either stump up the cash giving us a fighting chance of fourth or look back once again on what could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Glebee wrote: »

A part of me would love this simply for the craic but I'd die a little inside if it happened. He's not even as they make out IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

ruiseal wrote: »

Please god let it be true! A man can dream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Please god let it be true! A man can dream!

Not a hope in hell.
    Actually getting pissed off anytime i see him linked with us....
    never gonna happen!
    much prefer the likes off Vertongehn and Holtbys attitude!
    Really wants to come to Spurs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Lewis Holtby is a Van der Vaart replacement. He is nothing like Sandro or Parker.

really? There wasnt much demand from top clubs for the new van der vaart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

ruiseal wrote: »

I don't mean to p!ss on everyone's parade, BUT.....

Leandro Damaio has scored TWO goals in FOURTEEN caps for Brazil's first team. So, to put that in perspective, he has arguably the best group of chance creators on the planet and he has scored two in fourteen. I'm just saying, people are assuming that a big striker is going to come in and bang goals in left, right and centre.

Actually getting pissed off anytime i see him linked with us....
    never gonna happen!
    much prefer the likes off Vertongehn and Holtbys attitude!
    Really wants to come to Spurs!

I couldn't agree more to any other post on this forum.

mickman wrote: »

Huh? What are you talking about?

mickman wrote: »

I think he said replace Vdv, not the new Vdv. Holtby is not a DM, he plays no.10 for Shalke.
    So, to put that in perspective, he has arguably the best group of chance creators on the planet and he has scored two in fourteen.

If the manager rates him then he's good enough for me! He's young at 23, scored 74 in 129 for Internacional and scored 6 in 5 at the Olympics.

I think he said replace Vdv, not the new Vdv. Holtby is not a DM, he plays no.10 for Shalke.

Yes so basically he would replace Dempsey in the side if he is to replace someone currently starting and then sit in that VdV style role..

Currently it would be Bale attacking midfield left, Holtby attacking midfield centre and lennon attacking midfield right with defoe up front if he's fit.

With Sandro (if fit) and dembele further behind them.

i.e. playing the system AVB likes to play. 4-2-3-1.

As for this Damaio thrive... Come on lads! How long has this been going on... I hope just like the rest of ya's it gets done but realistically we're looking at another Moutinho situation. There's third parties involved which would slow the process down. We'd have needed to have gotten things in motion a while ago. I give it a 20% chance of happening this window. But how I'd love it to happen....

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Agreed which is puzzling as to why we bought him . We already have two players who play in that position who Levy splashed out on in the last transfer window for ie Siggy and Dempsey. Makes you wonder if Dempsey was a last minute buy instead of the striker we needed and was a pure Levy transfer.

A bad result against Norwich tomorrow night ( and the confirmation that Defoe is out for a few weeks) will put pressure back on Levy to get us that striker we desperately need.

Agreed which is puzzling as to why we bought him . We already have two players who play in that position who Levy splashed out on in the last transfer window for ie Siggy and Dempsey. Makes you wonder if Dempsey was a last minute buy instead of the striker we needed and was a pure Levy transfer.

A bad result against Norwich tomorrow night ( and the confirmation that Defoe is out for a few weeks) will put pressure back on Levy to get us that striker we desperately need.

It might be puzzling if both Siggy and Dempsey set the PL alight wearing a spurs badge, but unfortunately they havent. So for me personally I'm delighted with this being sorted now...

I'm not sure if people recall but I said earlier this month that if AVB rates Holtby so much he'll ensure we get him this window and use him to aid in getting CL. I said that Levy would need to be convinced by AVB that Holtby is a missing piece in the puzzle to get 4th spot and spending roughly 4.5m pound on signing him and his wages 6 months early would be worth it as it may guarantee a top 4 spot. I believe by this deal being sorted now AVB has a high opinion of Holtby's talent. I sincerely hope he'll have a major impact over the next few months. Much moreso than siggy and dempsey.

It might be puzzling if both Siggy and Dempsey set the PL alight wearing a spurs badge, but unfortunately they havent. So for me personally I'm delighted with this being sorted now...

I'm not sure if people recall but I said earlier this month that if AVB rates Holtby so much he'll ensure we get him this window and use him to aid in getting CL. I said that Levy would need to be convinced by AVB that Holtby is a missing piece in the puzzle to get 4th spot and spending roughly 4.5m pound on signing him and his wages 6 months early would be worth it as it may guarantee a top 4 spot. I believe by this deal being sorted now AVB has a high opinion of Holtby's talent. I sincerely hope he'll have a major impact over the next few months. Much moreso than siggy and dempsey.

Siggy has been a major disappointment but you cannot say the same about Dempsey. 8 goals in 28 games is not too bad for an attacking midfielder. His link up play is far better than Defoes but he gets slaughtered by a lot of fans for some reason ( and Defoe gets away with it because " Jermaine Defoe he's a Yiddo" and all that). He is not an out and out striker but is doing a great job for us at the moment after a shaky start.
    Regarding Holtby, I hope he turns out to be a great player but he is not the player we need in this transfer window. We need a striker ffs!!!!!
    If Levy comes up with the goods in the next 3 days then fair play to him but I have been a Spurs fan long enough to know how this works out. We will put in a late bid for some superstar in the last minute only for it to be turned down. Levy will say we tried but at least we got Holtby.

• Advertisement

Siggy has been a major disappointment but you cannot say the same about Dempsey. 8 goals in 28 games is not too bad for an attacking midfielder. His link up play is far better than Defoes but he gets slaughtered by a lot of fans for some reason ( and Defoe gets away with it because " Jermaine Defoe he's a Yiddo" and all that). He is not an out and out striker but is doing a great job for us at the moment after a shaky start.
    Regarding Holtby, I hope he turns out to be a great player but he is not the player we need in this transfer window. We need a striker ffs!!!!!
    If Levy comes up with the goods in the next 3 days then fair play to him but I have been a Spurs fan long enough to know how this works out. We will put in a late bid for some superstar in the last minute only for it to be turned down. Levy will say we tried but at least we got Holtby.

I'll happily get slated in the future for saying this, but for some reason I have a feeling that Holtby will be a bigger influence in the goals department than people think. He's got an excellent final ball pass which I think is why people slag dempsey off so far this season.. His passing can be terrible at the best of times.. Especially the final third where it matters..

Honestly I'm much more at ease now about our chances of top 4 with Holtby here now.

Also respect must be shown to him for dropping latter stages of CL with Schalke to be here... Fair play.

Last January we had three recognised strikers in Defoe, Adebayor, Saha.
    This January we have two recognised strikers in Defoe and Adebayor.

We've bought Siggy, Dembele , Dempsey and now Hotlby to replace our outgoing midfielders. Please buy a fcuking striker!

I'll happily get slated in the future for saying this, but for some reason I have a feeling that Holtby will be a bigger influence in the goals department than people think. He's got an excellent final ball pass which I think is why people slag dempsey off so far this season.. His passing can be terrible at the best of times.. Especially the final third where it matters..

Honestly I'm much more at ease now about our chances of top 4 with Holtby here now.

Also respect must be shown to him for dropping latter stages of CL with Schalke to be here... Fair play.

Yup you have to admire his desire to come to Spurs especially with CL football at Schalke. Don't know too much about him - seen a few clips on Youtube and some highlights of the Bundesliga. He looks a decent player who can play a great ball in the final third. But if you check out some of those clips he is supplying Huntelaar who is a clinical finisher. Who will he supplying those passes to this week??????? Nobody because we don't have a friggin striker!!!

Yup you have to admire his desire to come to Spurs especially with CL football at Schalke. Don't know too much about him - seen a few clips on Youtube and some highlights of the Bundesliga. He looks a decent player who can play a great ball in the final third. But if you check out some of those clips he is supplying Huntelaar who is a clinical finisher. Who will he supplying those passes to this week??????? Nobody because we don't have a friggin striker!!!

This is true which is actually why I just thought of Dempsey sitting up top with him being supplied by dembele, bale, lennon and holtby.... Well potentially that might not be bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I couldn't agree more to any other post on this forum.

:D imagine we did sign him now after you pair saying that ;)

Hatch99 wrote: »
    :D imagine we did sign him now after you pair saying that ;)

He can change my mind by kissing the badge after his first hat-trick against the Goons! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

This.

Teams have realised that if they sit back against us then we lack the guile to break through. In recent games we've seen an inordinate amount of shots from outside the box for this very reason. Hopefully Holtby can add a bit of creativity in the final third. Obviously, a striker is a big need too but I feel a no. 10 was a more pressing concern.

This transfer speculation about a new bid for Damiao is coming just in time to ruin my Thursday night. Regardless of whether I like it or not, I will be sitting there on the edge of my seat watching Sky Sports news for three solid hours up to 11pm, and even another hour after 11pm to see if we have signed him or not. And when we haven't, I will be gutted! This window will be the exact same as the last. In recent history there has only been one thing that has gutted me more than not getting Moutinho and that was Chelsea winning the Champions League.

I'm pretty sure the transfer window is Sky Sports idea. They have us glued to our televisions and their little yellow update bar running along the bottom of the screen.

To save the disappointment of not getting Damiao I need something else to take my attention from Sky Sports News!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Bent, Pav, Berba,Defoe,Ade,Keane,

Berba was the best...
    Wouldnt surprise me one bit if we get linked with him in the next 2 days.....
    can feel it in my water...... couple of million.. 2 years left in him... perfect!;)

• Advertisement

Bent, Pav, Berba,Defoe,Ade,Keane,

Berba was the best...
    Wouldnt surprise me one bit if we get linked with him in the next 2 days.....
    can feel it in my water...... couple of million.. 2 years left in him... perfect!;)

You forgot Crouch! Clearly he was the best... AC Milan away, Man City Away... Nuff said...

Advertisement