Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Nixer Jim wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised with this tbh. He hasn't featured at all since Sherwood came along so it would make sense. It leaves us with only 2 strikers though, unless we pick someone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

We should of went for Remy, been impressive since going to Newcastle on loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    We should of went for Remy, been impressive since going to Newcastle on loan.

16m is the figure I've seen quoted, I think he's worth it as a good replacement for Defoe

16m is the figure I've seen quoted, I think he's worth it as a good replacement for Defoe

You'd swear Redknapp was his agent, desperate for the move. He's 27 and well worth the 16 million. I'm sure we could get him for a lot less, a few players to sweeten the deal. They paid 10 or there about's for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

As someone posted earlier, I would love to see a lone move for morata. Can't see real selling him, but he reminds me a lot of negrado and his style would suit EPL.

Maybe we can get something from our "special relationship" with Real Madrid for a change.

Lamela's brother denies him wanting to leave. He'd be some can of píss if he wanted to quit after a few months.

http://www.london24.com/sport/tottenham/erik_lamela_s_brother_denies_dad_s_claims_of_spurs_exit_1_3184111

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Paper talk:

Walker to PSG for £15m - surely we could get more than £15m out of PSG for Walker. I'd be happy with £25m and bring Adam Smith in as a replacement

Capoue to Napoli - Hmmm.... a little early to be selling him.

Lamela in a swap deal with Vucinic of Juventus, plus cash - Lamela's brother says he doesn't want to leave.

Read on one of the ITK places that we should expect maybe one signing, but we could see a few go...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

My bs metre is in the red for those rumours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

So Defoe sold then but still loitering around WHL till March 1st. If we plan on playing two up front most games we'll definitely need a decent replacement.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9107190/transfer-news-tottenhams-jermain-defoe-set-to-complete-toronto-move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I've seen Defoe get bashed upon bashed on here but he's our fifth all time goalscorer and top European goalscorer. He's a big contributor to the local community. A nice guy who clearly loved the club.

Shame to see him go and a bit baffled to see him leave England in a World Cup year.

irishmover wrote: »
    I've seen Defoe get bashed upon bashed on here but he's our fifth all time goalscorer and top European goalscorer. He's a big contributor to the local community. A nice guy who clearly loved the club.

Shame to see him go and a bit baffled to see him leave England in a World Cup year.

Absolutely, great servant to the club. He'll set that league on fire.

Spurs reputation must be in great shape over in the States, first Robbie Keane, then Dempsey, now Defoe. We provide them with superstars

Think Dempsey had a really poor start, not sure what his record is as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

i cannot believe we are letting defoe go unless we have a striker lined up to come in straight away.
    If sherwood is planning to play two up top we are gonna need a striker as cover for injuries and to come on and change things in a game.
    This seems like more short sighted bull****.
    I know we have kane but surely defoe would still be a better option and dont forget when the transfer window closes we'll be back down to our old adie, as in wont give a ****.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

tom1ie wrote: »
    i cannot believe we are letting defoe go unless we have a striker lined up to come in straight away.
    If sherwood is planning to play two up top we are gonna need a striker as cover for injuries and to come on and change things in a game.
    This seems like more short sighted bull****.
    I know we have kane but surely defoe would still be a better option and dont forget when the transfer window closes we'll be back down to our old adie, as in wont give a ****.:mad:

I am sure they will buy a striker if Defoe does go.

Word is we have him on loan until March

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Word is we have him on loan until March

Stinks of typical Levy behavior ... 8m for a player the other side of 30. Too good to turn down. Then we get him back for 6-7 weeks but come the last 6 weeks of the season if by some minor miracle we are pushing for the 4th CL place what good is that too us if we get injuries or suspensions to Soldado or Ade

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Defoe will move to Toronto on Feburary 28th for their pre season.

Defoe will move to Toronto on Feburary 28th for their pre season.

Is this definite?

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Is this definite?

Yes, official
    http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/jermain-defoe-moves-to-mls-toronto-fc-100114/

Reading we got 8m for him, they got Levy'd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Fair play to him, he's probably been told by Roy that he is unlikely to get into the England squad for Rio. I read he's gonna be the highest paid player in the MLS, is this true? If so, great move for him, nice retirement package.

8m!! Jaysus, that's some going! Still, it leaves the club in a bit of a pickle. Do we go and buy a new striker with that cash and sit him or Defoe on the bench until Defoe leaves, or do we do nothing (most likely), take our chances with 2 strikers and pocket/spend the money in the summer? Leaving at the end of Feb makes the decision that bit more difficult.

8m!! Jaysus, that's some going! Still, it leaves the club in a bit of a pickle. Do we go and buy a new striker with that cash and sit him or Defoe on the bench until Defoe leaves, or do we do nothing (most likely), take our chances with 2 strikers and pocket/spend the money in the summer? Leaving at the end of Feb makes the decision that bit more difficult.

I'm sure Levy learned that not buying a striker in Jan cost us top 4, need to buy or loan now

I'm sure Levy learned that not buying a striker in Jan cost us top 4, need to buy or loan now

You would expect that alright but maybe Sherwood has said he feels Kane can provide enough cover and Lamela could be played further forward? Obika who was also on the bench v Arsenal has now been loaned out too.

When Defoe leaves we'll have 11 EPL games and (provided we beat Dnipro) a Europa League to play for. Not a chance in hell will we make top 4 if we are left relying on Ade, Soldado and Kane.

Over to you Daniel..... (i.e. when does Benteke arrive?:cool::D)

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

You would expect that alright but maybe Sherwood has said he feels Kane can provide enough cover and Lamela could be played further forward? Obika who was also on the bench v Arsenal has now been loaned out too.

When Defoe leaves we'll have 11 EPL games and (provided we beat Dnipro) a Europa League to play for. Not a chance in hell will we make top 4 if we are left relying on Ade, Soldado and Kane.

Over to you Daniel..... (i.e. when does Benteke arrive?:cool::D)

Bentekes been hopeless this year. Don't think we'll sign anyone

Berbasulk for 2m

I wouldn't have said he's been hopeless, started off well and has been injured. Plus he's playing in an awful side. Suppose Michu has had similar fate, yer man Bony looks like he's finding his feet. Osvaldo has been similar to Soldado. Interesting to see who can turn there fortunes around?

Benteke, despite his poor form, would probably still cost loads. I'd still take him though - he has everything needed to be a top striker.

• Advertisement

Benteke, despite his poor form, would probably still cost loads. I'd still take him though - he has everything needed to be a top striker.

Benteke has had his head turned, I'd guess Villa will be cashing in soon.

Advertisement