Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

You would expect that alright but maybe Sherwood has said he feels Kane can provide enough cover and Lamela could be played further forward?

I really hope this is it. Lamela playing central with Eriksen on one wing and Lennon on the other. Jebus, that's some attacking threat. The striker would just need to have a pulse in order to score!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I really hope this is it. Lamela playing central with Eriksen on one wing and Lennon on the other. Jebus, that's some attacking threat. The striker would just need to have a pulse in order to score!

I don't think Eriksen is suited to the wing, I'd prefer to see Chaldi there as he has more defensive attributes. I'd like to see Lamela playing off Adebayor up front with Eriksen in the middle behind them.

Talk of Morata's agent being in London today. Surely based on their form he would sign for Arsenal if he had the opportunity? Or maybe our 'commercial deal' with Real will swing it:p:p

I don't think Eriksen is suited to the wing, I'd prefer to see Chaldi there as he has more defensive attributes. I'd like to see Lamela playing off Adebayor up front with Eriksen in the middle behind them.

I don't know... he obviously isn't an out and out winger, he has a kind of free role from the wing. He's an intelligent player who can pick up good positions which could destroy defences.

With him on the left and Lennon on the right. We need to have a good, strong centre midfield. Two of Dembele, Sandro or Capoue. With Eriksen coming in midfield it leaves the LB a bit unprotected, so it's important for someone like Capoue and Sandro to be defensively aware.

Talk of Morata's agent being in London today. Surely based on their form he would sign for Arsenal if he had the opportunity? Or maybe our 'commercial deal' with Real will swing it:p:p

Arsenal are the firm favourites with the bookies to sign Morata.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

It was great getting that special agreement with Madrid, we sell you our best players and you loan your up and coming players to our biggest rivals

It was great getting that special agreement with Madrid, we sell you our best players and you loan your up and coming players to our biggest rivals

I don't know... he obviously isn't an out and out winger, he has a kind of free role from the wing. He's an intelligent player who can pick up good positions which could destroy defences.

With him on the left and Lennon on the right. We need to have a good, strong centre midfield. Two of Dembele, Sandro or Capoue. With Eriksen coming in midfield it leaves the LB a bit unprotected, so it's important for someone like Capoue and Sandro to be defensively aware.

Yeah I agree with you and this was evident against Arsenal. Everytime Eriksen drifted in there was no protection for Rose and we got slaughtered down that wing time and time again. Capoue should have played.

I can see glimpses of Modric in Eriksen and none more so when he's in that drift in from the left position. Only difference is Luka had Parker or Palacios to cover the full back. That's vital for a 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Bale started last season on the left and was allowed to roam wherever the ball was, dont think Eriksen has that type of attribute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Fair play to him, he's probably been told by Roy that he is unlikely to get into the England squad for Rio. I read he's gonna be the highest paid player in the MLS, is this true? If so, great move for him, nice retirement package.

read he will be on 4.5million per year ,,unsure if dollar euro or sterling but a sh1tload either way.
    :)
    great move for him and levy:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Can anyone actually seeing us getting a replacement for Defoe that's as good or better in January? I'd be doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Can anyone actually seeing us getting a replacement for Defoe that's as good or better in January? I'd be doubtful.

That depends on how good you think Defoe is. This is a team Defoe cannot get into.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    That depends on how good you think Defoe is. This is a team Defoe cannot get into.

Id take Long in a heartbeat:cool: and even Berba IF he apologised for his messing just prior to forcing his move to Tapup UTD..

we really need 4 strikers and Id be a very happy yiddo indeed if I had that strikeforce competing for their starting places and to cover the inevitable long term injuries we will get in 2nd half the season:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I've said it before, Long is no upgrade from Defoe and an inferior goalscorer.

Imho If Long got the same supply Defoe does he would outscore Jermain....
    :cool:
    Be great to have an Irishman back in the 1st team too and Long brings a whole lot more in his overall game..He is just as fast ,even stronger, works hard when to win the ball back and never gives CBs a moments rest..

As much as I love Defoe he is a 1 trick pony at this stage of his career sad to see it.

if we invest the alledged 6M from Defoes transfer fee that could be Berba 2M and Long 3M;)

Id take that all day long .

Longs going nowhere if his missus' keeps getting her way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

davycc wrote: »
    Imho If Long got the same supply Defoe does he would outscore Jermain....
    :cool:
    Be great to have an Irishman back in the 1st team too and Long brings a whole lot more in his overall game..He is just as fast ,even stronger, works hard when to win the ball back and never gives CBs a moments rest..

As much as I love Defoe he is a 1 trick pony at this stage of his career sad to see it.

if we invest the alledged 6M from Defoes transfer fee that could be Berba 2M and Long 3M;)

Id take that all day long .

Buying those two would double the wages we spend on reserve strikers. Plus it would leave us with 6 strikers until the end February.

Longs going nowhere if his missus' keeps getting her way

I thought all WAGS were mad to move to London for the shopping nightlife etc:cool: no contest lol

Ormus wrote: »
    Buying those two would double the wages we spend on reserve strikers. Plus it would leave us with 6 strikers until the end February.

Kane does not look like he will cut it this season Id send him on loan this mth to a PL team where he will get more much needed game time.

About Defoe being here til end of Feb its just one of those things that happens when players move to MLS.. if he can score a few before he goes Ill love him even more:cool:

We need 4 quality strikers who are PL proven and we have Ade looking interested again and a misfiring Goldado..

Long & Berba would basically be 2 strikers for the price of one..transfer fee and salary wise too..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

davycc wrote: »
    Kane does not look like he will cut it this season Id send him on loan this mth to a PL team where he will get more much needed game time.

About Defoe being here til end of Feb its just one of those things that happens when players move to MLS.. if he can score a few before he goes Ill love him even more:cool:

We need 4 quality strikers who are PL proven and we have Ade looking interested again and a misfiring Goldado..

Long & Berba would basically be 2 strikers for the price of one..transfer fee and salary wise too..;)

Kane is old enough to be ready. Whether he's good enough remains to be seen but it'd be Sherwood's style to believe in him.

If we're gonna stick with 4-4-2 I agree we need 4 strikers but I'd be surprised if we buy two and loan Kane. Might happen though.

Salary wise I'm not sure why you think it'd be two for the price of one. Berba would be on more at Fulham than Defoe is on at Spurs. He went to United for 30m plus remember. That woulda put him close to a six figure weekly salary and he probably didn't take much of a cut going to Fulham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I really wouldn't like spurs to be relying on Harry Kane to score the goals to get spurs top 4 this season. Surely, Levy & co have sussed out a replacement for Defoe but I genuinely wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't sign a replacement, it would just be typical Spurs and it will be that reason alone why we'll be moaning at the end of the season not getting top 4.

Ormus wrote: »
    If we're gonna stick with 4-4-2 I agree we need 4 strikers but I'd be surprised if we buy two and loan Kane. Might happen though.

From Sherwood's post-match interview it seems Lamela and Chadli will be given their chance to play behind the striker.

So, if either Ade or Soldado get injured, Lamela or Chadli will come in behind the lone striker in a 4-4-1-1 system.

Which means our forward options are Ade, Soldado, Lamela, Chadli and Kane.... plus Defoe (until March).

I'm quite happy hearing this. I sound like a broken record, but Lamela's future for us is through the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Agreed, though it leaves us short a left winger as I don't think Eriksen should be played out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

SuprSi wrote: »
    Agreed, though it leaves us short a left winger as I don't think Eriksen should be played out there.

Eriksen plays in midfield but not as a winger. He played somewhat like a no 10 drifting in between the back 4 and midfield of the opposition. He may start on the left side but comes inside to allow Rose space on the wing. Look at the amount of times Rose got behind Palace on Saturday.
    3 goals and an assist in his last few games is a decent return for Eriksen. He is a major part of Tims plans for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Dont understand all the negativity towards Eriksen in general. He may be struggling to find his form but even when struggling his is contributing well with goals and assists. He could be outstanding when it finally all clicks for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

A lot of bets being put on for spurs to sign Stephen Fletcher. Oh dear...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

irishmover wrote: »
    A lot of bets being put on for spurs to sign Stephen Fletcher. Oh dear...

hahahaha WHAT???? where did you read this garbage?

slegs wrote: »
    Dont understand all the negativity towards Eriksen in general. He may be struggling to find his form but even when struggling his is contributing well with goals and assists. He could be outstanding when it finally all clicks for him.

Eriksen is the new Modric. Most pundits were waxing lyrical about him preseason as the signing to watch. As you said, he's contributing without having found form. But we need someone to offer defensive cover when he moves forward/inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

nbar12 wrote: »
    hahahaha WHAT???? where did you read this garbage?

http://www.skybet.com/football/transfer-specials/event/16076510

Advertisement