Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Holtby has posted pictures of himself in Berlin on facebook, guess that him off already. Have a feeling Sherwood would prefer Tom Carroll back in the squad than Holtby. Then I wonder, why did we buy the kid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Holtby has posted pictures of himself in Berlin on facebook, guess that him off already. Have a feeling Sherwood would prefer Tom Carroll back in the squad than Holtby. Then I wonder, why did we buy the kid?

Wasn't Holtby an AVB buy? Maybe Levys washing his hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

The only reason he was bought is because he was cheap and will be sold on for a profit, a classic Levy transfer!

Twitter is full if the rumour that Holtby has re-signed for Shalke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

KingdomYid wrote: »
    The only reason he was bought is because he was cheap and will be sold on for a profit, a classic Levy transfer!

Sounds ok to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Holtby is a great case in point.

Pick up a bargain @1.5mil with only 6 months left on contract. Sell on a year later for 5 or 6mil. Nice little earner for the player trading company.

Great business, but no improvement in squad quality, shareholders happy and supporters confused.

Player revolving door policy continues.
    Football success is not their priority
    So predictable. So very Levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Holtby is a supposed loan deal to Schalke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Vertonghen said he's a couple days away from recovering. Will feel like a new signing.

Unrelated to Spurs but thought I'd link it! Funny stuff...

Holtby is a great case in point.

Pick up a bargain @1.5mil with only 6 months left on contract. Sell on a year later for 5 or 6mil. Nice little earner for the player trading company.

Great business, but no improvement in squad quality, shareholders happy and supporters confused.

Player revolving door policy continues.
    Football success is not their priority
    So predictable. So very Levy.

Holtby has been a good addition to the squad. Not quite good enough for the first team in the end but he certainly had the potential to be.

I think our squad is far stronger than last year, albeit Bale is a massive individual loss.

There are very few clubs worth their salt who would pass up the chance to sign a young German international for pittance. Anyone who has a problem with it needs their heads examined.

I guarantee you not many sane Spurs supporters are confused about why we signed Holtby, or why he now wants to leave.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    Holtby has been a good addition to the squad. Not quite good enough for the first team in the end but he certainly had the potential to be.

I think our squad is far stronger than last year, albeit Bale is a massive individual loss.

There are very few clubs worth their salt who would pass up the chance to sign a young German international for pittance. Anyone who has a problem with it needs their heads examined.

I guarantee you not many sane Spurs supporters are confused about why we signed Holtby, or why he now wants to leave.

oh there is no confusion why Levy signed him, this is obvious now, he did so in order to to sell on at a big margin, bank the cash and keep ENIC happy.

however the real confusion existes in realtion to the direction the club is going in, ie why we buy and sell players and keep changing mgrs and mgt systems at a rediculous rate, and make no real tangible progress in the process ? Something is very wrong at the top of our club.

Ormus, I've noticed that you tend to play the man more then the ball when someone takes a diffeent view to yours. I suggest that you try to stick to the actual subject without the put downs for everyone's sake, we're all Spurs folk at the end of the day.

oh there is no confusion why Levy signed him, this is obvious now, he did so in order to to sell on at a big margin, bank the cash and keep ENIC happy.

however the real confusion existes in realtion to the direction the club is going in, ie why we buy and sell players and keep changing mgrs and mgt systems at a rediculous rate, and make no real tangible progress in the process ? Something is very wrong at the top of our club.

Ormus, I've noticed that you tend to play the man more then the ball when someone takes a diffeent view to yours. I suggest that you try to stick to the actual subject without the put downs for everyone's sake, we're all Spurs folk at the end of the day.

Glad that there's no confusion about why we signed a young German international for next to nothing and then sell him when he wants to leave to get first team football elsewhere.

Aw c'mon, I wasn't exactly insulting your family, just questioning your sanity!

Glad that there's no confusion about why we signed a young German international for next to nothing and then sell him when he wants to leave to get first team football elsewhere.

Aw c'mon, I wasn't exactly insulting your family, just questioning your sanity!

you're happy with the way the club is being run - we get that loud a clear

try not to be snidy to those you disagree with and we'll all enjoy the debate

you're happy with the way the club is being run - we get that loud a clear

try not to be snidy to those you disagree with and we'll all enjoy the debate

You're pretty snide yourself sometimes. I don't hold it against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

fight fight fight fight fight fight
    :D

You're pretty snide yourself sometimes. I don't hold it against you.

examples ?

I put it all down to arrogance. I blame Sherwood. He's rubbing off on us.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Levy is getting away with murder in my opinion lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

examples ?
    It's the northsider thing in you I think lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Hatch99 wrote: »

Being doing for years nothing new there.

As fo Holtby possibly going he's no real loss. Gets stuck in and is busy but nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Hatch99 wrote: »

Keep hearing this again and again. Levy is not perfect that's for sure. He is better than many if not most premier league chairmen imo. He is an indisputable upgrade on our last chairman.

I seem to remember only a few months ago so many people on this site singing Levy's praise. Oh how quick we change.

I was happy when Levy appointed AVB. There was a vision and a plan. It didn't work. Maybe AVB should have been given more time, who knows how that would have gone.

AVB is gone so no point whinging. As for Levy I am happy he is chairman of Tottenham Hotspur FC.

We may have taken a step or two backwards recently but I believe Levy and Lewis will improve this club in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Keep hearing this again and again. Levy is not perfect that's for sure. He is better than many if not most premier league chairmen imo. He is an indisputable upgrade on our last chairman.

I seem to remember only a few months ago so many people on this site singing Levy's praise. Oh how quick we change.

I was happy when Levy appointed AVB. There was a vision and a plan. It didn't work. Maybe AVB should have been given more time, who knows how that would have gone.

AVB is gone so no point whinging. As for Levy I am happy he is chairman of Tottenham Hotspur FC.

We may have taken a step or two backwards recently but I believe Levy and Lewis will improve this club in the long run.

I'm a big fan of Levy, but I thought he pulled the trigger a bit quick this time, there may well have been good reasons for it that I'm not aware of, but if it was purely based on results I would have let it run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

I agree on Levy. Not perfect but in the round a very good chairman. I think he managed the Modric and Bale transfers as well as anyone could have expected and got good money. These guys were leaving, its a fact of life and blaming Levy for them leaving is just silly.

Look at RVP who played down his contract and went for very little from Arsenal. Levy never lets this happen and always gets good value for all his players.

He makes mistakes like signing Bentley and Gomes into long contracts when he cant get rid of them. People dont say anything about these mistakes as they are not visible but the impact of these guys on the wage bill is just as damaging as he cant sign players until they are shifted.

On AVB I was a huge fan initially but I think it was becoming clear that AVB did not have much to back up his core philosophy on how to play. This was not improving after months (remember Bale dug us out of numerous games last year where we played muck). I think Levy actually made a brave call in removing him. I think he has someone in mind after the WC and may already have a deal done.

In the meantime Tim isn't doing too bad. A win against Swansea and a draw against City and we would be looking really strong going into the final third of the season.

GS11 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Levy, but I thought he pulled the trigger a bit quick this time, there may well have been good reasons for it that I'm not aware of, but if it was purely based on results I would have let it run.

I agree, on the surface it looks like he knee jerked on this one, unless there's more to it than meets the eye

I think it's a genuine possibility that it was at least partly mutual

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

slegs wrote: »
    I agree on Levy. Not perfect but in the round a very good chairman.
    It's funny. When the transfer window closed, a lot of folks on the Liverpool forum was absolutely green with envy over what a great job Levy had done. When AVB was sacked, he turned into a moron and became the object of ridicule - all this within 3 months :pac:

So, who doesn't want to leave Spurs that we've signed in the last year?

Capoue, Lamela, Holtby and now Chadli. Jesus..

It's funny. When the transfer window closed, a lot of folks on the Liverpool forum was absolutely green with envy over what a great job Levy had done. When AVB was sacked, he turned into a moron and became the object of ridicule - all this within 3 months :pac:

You're correct and plenty of folk were tipping us to win the league or certainly finish in the top 4. But at the time we were led to believe that the players being bought were sanctioned by the manager.

I guess you'd have to ask yourself who do you blame for our laughing stock of a season? AVB is still under contract so it's unlikely he will reveal much in the short term and if he does speak out in the long term the effect will be limited. The victors always write history and Levy always wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

irishmover wrote: »

When da fcuk did we sign Jesus? Heard he's some sort of jewish king. He could fit in well. Fair Play to Levy. Why would he want to leave us so soon? Bastard should be crucified!

irishmover wrote: »

Football players who can't get in the team wanting to leave?

Stop the press, whatever next?

• Advertisement

Football players who can't get in the team wanting to leave?

Stop the press, whatever next?

Exactly

Advertisement