Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Anyone interested, Verthongen is playing a friendly against England for Belgium now on ITV1, looks like an absolute horse of a man! Hopefully we get him signed up shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Emoran wrote: »
    Anyone interested, Verthongen is playing a friendly against England for Belgium now on ITV1, looks like an absolute horse of a man! Hopefully we get him signed up shortly
    Saw him put Glen Johnson in his pocket earlier. He's playing left back for this game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Watching it as well, and he looks good so far. He's playing left back, bit solid under pressure and good during set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Watched the first half mainly to see Vertonghen, won't be watching the 2nd half though shocking game. As for Vertonghen he looks very good, not afraid to throw his considerable weight around at all. Added bonus him being a competent LB as well as CB. He's very comfortable on the ball as well, which is very pleasing to see. Would be a shame to lose him to Arsenal or any one else for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Vertonghen looks a class act , hope levy gets this done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Impressive. Even at left back he is comfortable. If he hasnt signed yet we could have trouble because he has certainly caught the eye tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Hopefully we can sin Vertoghen. I also see Afellay scored twice for Holland today, we have been rumoured to be interested in him, I like the look of him and it will also be interesting to see who goes in for Dembelle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

pancho84 wrote: »
    Hopefully we can sin Vertoghen. I also see Afellay scored twice for Holland today, we have been rumoured to be interested in him, I like the look of him and it will also be interesting to see who goes in for Dembelle

Dembele looks classy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

i think we should go for Robert Green now that he leaving wet spam on a freebie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Whats happening with this Vertonghen chap?

• Advertisement

^^ nothing. He tweeted a few days ago that the deal would be completed 'in a couple of weeks or maybe even a couple of days'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Mulumbu :confused:

Had to google to find out about the story (and the player - never heard of him!).

Thank God it only seems to be running in the daily mail ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2154422/Youssouf-Mulumbu-talks-Spurs-Newcastle.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Had to google to find out about the story (and the player - never heard of him!).

Thank God it only seems to be running in the daily mail ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2154422/Youssouf-Mulumbu-talks-Spurs-Newcastle.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

He's decent alright but we have plenty of cover in that area at moment.

Bassong linked to Monaco and Rubin Kazan this moring. No menion of a fee but I'd take 100K at this stage just to get him off the wage bill

Fee agreed with Kiev for Niko, deal to be completed after the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Vertonghen's Agent: 'Deal could be done this week'
    Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen could complete his move to Tottenham this week, according to the player's agent.

The centre-back’s switch to north London has been in the offing for some time, with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy hesitant to match the Dutch side’s fee for a player with just one year left on his contract.

And the player’s representative, Mustapha Nakhli, has revealed his client is just waiting for the two clubs to agree terms before travelling to London to finalise the move, though he fears Ajax are demanding too much money for the player’s services.

"Jan is just waiting for now,” Nakhli told Voetbal International.

“We'll travel to Tottenham once they've reached an agreement. It won't take much time to make an appointment. I hope that we can complete the deal this week. I think that's going to happen."

"Ajax is asking way too much for a player who has a contract until 2013. Fifteen million? What do you think yourself?"

Nakhli has also revealed Vertonghen has his heart set on a move to White Hart Lane and is not contemplating a move anywhere else, with Arsenal reportedly set to swoop if the deal falls through.

He continued: "Both clubs [Tottenham and Ajax] are close to a deal, but there is still some difference between them. Tottenham is the only club we are interested in. Jan sees great opportunities in London at The Spurs, so we don't look at other clubs."

A top class CB is easily worth €15 million, that said Ozil went for the same price with 1 year remaining and he had already proved himself at the WC, so perhaps it is a bit excessive in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

i couldnt give a toss how many years he has on his contract really. Ashley young only had 1 left when he moved for 17mil didnt he?

I no its been mentioned before that if we pay over the odds once then well have to keep doing so.

But in this instance we desperately need a quality CB and if we miss this one how long might we have to wait until another one of his quality wants to come to us ahead of anyone else?

Fair enough chance your arm with the levy haggle but in the end do not leave that room until youve agreed a fee

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stephen090

Unfortunately, I really can't see Modric in particular hanging about this summer and i pity Harry having another summer trying to keep him happy when he's only on a year of contract remaining himself.

Since I'm consigned to losing him, I'd love to see th money spent on Mats Hummels, the Dortmund centre back, if he actually wanted to come. If he has a decent Euro 2012, he may be priced out of us or the offers of champions league football.

I'd take half that Dortmund team to be honest. Piszczek, Lewandowski, Gotze etc etc, but unfortunately they'll all have far more realistic suitors now :(

• Advertisement

^^ no mention of the fee involved. Cant imagine it was more that a couple of million.

Adds more weight behind the theory that we will attempt to keep modric this summer if we are letting other midfielders go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Rumours on other forums that it was around the 7m mark - great business if true.

Disappointed Niko is gone, really good player.

stephen090 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I really can't see Modric in particular hanging about this summer and i pity Harry having another summer trying to keep him happy when he's only on a year of contract remaining himself.

Since I'm consigned to losing him, I'd love to see th money spent on Mats Hummels, the Dortmund centre back, if he actually wanted to come. If he has a decent Euro 2012, he may be priced out of us or the offers of champions league football.

I'd take half that Dortmund team to be honest. Piszczek, Lewandowski, Gotze etc etc, but unfortunately they'll all have far more realistic suitors now :(
    There is nay chance that any of that Dortmund team would leave for us, least of all the one's mentioned. They've built an excellent squad, and there's very few teams, 3 maybe 4, capable of offering anything better.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Disappointed Niko is gone, really good player.

Was he really though? Dont get me wrong he was a useful squad addition but not much else. If we are going to compete for a top 4 place next season then we need players of top 4 calibre. Player for player only lennon, Bale, modric, parker, VDV and Sandro are comparable with their peers at our top 4 compeitors. Niko would never have gotten close to the starting XI in any of those teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Bring back Pav, absolute peach of a goal !! Typical Pav goal... On for the last 15 gets an assist and blasts in a goal just inside the box

Was he really though? Dont get me wrong he was a useful squad addition but not much else. If we are going to compete for a top 4 place next season then we need players of top 4 calibre. Player for player only lennon, Bale, modric, parker, VDV and Sandro are comparable with their peers at our top 4 compeitors. Niko would never have gotten close to the starting XI in any of those teams.

He could have been used far more to replace tired players near the end of the season.

Harry possibly interested in Eriksen, the striker for Denmark today.

He said he has watched him 2 or 3 times, could be tracking him.

Mentioned it a few minutes ago doing the BBC punditry.

flyswatter wrote: »

He could have been used far more to replace tired players near the end of the season.

Harry possibly interested in Eriksen, the striker for Denmark today.

He said he has watched him 2 or 3 times, could be tracking him.

Mentioned it a few minutes ago doing the BBC punditry.

yeah i saw that but if he has a decent tournament all the top teams will be sniffing about.

• Advertisement

Assume the vertonghen deals wasnt tied up before harry got the boot. Wonder if it happen at all now...

Advertisement