Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

According to him he tried to leave on several occasions -

“I often tried to leave Tottenham but they have always stopped me going,” he said. “I had several proposals but they were insufficient for the club. It’s very complicated. They want to recover the €10million they invested in me five years ago. It is not possible. I am ready to go to Germany. Hoffenheim wanted to buy me permanently but Tottenham blocked the move for financial questions. I always tried to leave but Tottenham have never helped me.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    According to him he tried to leave on several occasions -

“I often tried to leave Tottenham but they have always stopped me going,” he said. “I had several proposals but they were insufficient for the club. It’s very complicated. They want to recover the €10million they invested in me five years ago. It is not possible. I am ready to go to Germany. Hoffenheim wanted to buy me permanently but Tottenham blocked the move for financial questions. I always tried to leave but Tottenham have never helped me.”

Wouldn't believe a word of it

Looks like he's staying till the summer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

tippspur wrote: »
    But it's up to them players to get Champions League,they're the ones out on the pitch,no one else can do it for them,if they do there stuff then none of them will have to reassess anything at the end of the season:confused:

Lloris is world class. We all know that. He can't win games for us but he's certainly stopped us from losing plenty.

If any company fail to secure future contracts any ambitious members of staff will look at the jobs market. C'est la Vie!

Interesting interview with Ferdinand today discussing the subject of holding midfielders. Probably points out why the lads are willing to lose Capoue.
    http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/tottenham-hotspur/spurs_coach_holding_midfielders_are_overrated_just_look_at_man_city_1_3254990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Interesting interview with Ferdinand today discussing the subject of holding midfielders. Probably points out why the lads are willing to lose Capoue.
    http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/tottenham-hotspur/spurs_coach_holding_midfielders_are_overrated_just_look_at_man_city_1_3254990

I don't agree with Ferdinand at all. He uses one example, City, but they have a brilliant team with an athletic freak (Toure) in midfield.

Liverpool's results suffer without Lucas.
    Arsenal are a shadow of a team without Flammini.
    On a par with Bale, Sandro was our most important player last season. Our results were impacted after his injury at QPR.
    Man Utd. fans have been crying out for a holding midfielder all season (it's no coincidence that they sit 7th).

I'm not saying the holding midfielder sits and protects the defence without crossing the halfway line, but you need one player who will take the responsibility to defend and close down... also to read the atmosphere on the pitch and in the stadium and put in a strong/hard challenge when his team/the fans need to get going.

Liverpool's results suffer without Lucas.
    Arsenal are a shadow of a team without Flammini.
    On a par with Bale, Sandro was our most important player last season. Our results were impacted after his injury at QPR.
    Man Utd. fans have been crying out for a holding midfielder all season (it's no coincidence that they sit 7th).

I don't disagree with you, just offering up an insight into the current decision making logic at WHL.

Also, I'm not sure Ferdinand is saying players like Sandro & Lucas should be discarded, but that players that exist solely to protect the back four should be. Sandro & Lucas' Brazilian attributes allow them to do more than just defend.

Flamini on the other hand is used more by Wenger to close out games, mopping up any counter attacks in the last 20mins of a game. Not sure if he starts many games?

Actually United are a great exampe of this. They won the league last year without a holding midfielder. Keane was about as close as they ever came to having one but I wouldn't class him as a holding midfielder.

I don't disagree with you, just offering up an insight into the current decision making logic at WHL.

Also, I'm not sure Ferdinand is saying players like Sandro & Lucas should be discarded, but that players that exist solely to protect the back four should be. Sandro & Lucas' Brazilian attributes allow them to do more than just defend.

Flamini on the other hand is used more by Wenger to close out games, mopping up any counter attacks in the last 20mins of a game. Not sure if he starts many games?

Actually United are a great exampe of this. They won the league last year without a holding midfielder. Keane was about as close as they ever came to having one but I wouldn't class him as a holding midfielder.

Don't worry, I'm not suggesting you do disagree with me. I just don't agree with Les.

I guess, there might be a bit of ambiguity in what is classed as a 'holding midfielder'. For example, in a midfield of Scholes and Keane, I would class Keane as the holding midfielder. That's not to say that Keane doesn't get forward, but he sits more often than not so that Scholes can have the freedom to do what he does best.

A holding midfielder needs to be a good reader of the game. As he is mopping up between the defence and midfield, he can change the pace of the game by speeding up the passing moves through midfield and also closing down higher up the pitch. This is what the likes of Flamini, Sandro, Lucas offer their respective teams.

Before we played Arsenal I wrote in the match thread that we had a chance to win at the Emirates because their was a massive gap between their defence and midfield. Wenger saw this too, hence he bought Flamini in the week before the game. As soon as Flamini came on I knew our chances of getting anything were as good as gone. Flamini played every minute of the next four games and Arsenal only dropped two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Carrick is as holding as it gets

Ormus wrote: »
    Carrick is as holding as it gets

Yeah I thought Keane and Carrick could be described as that alright. Sure Carrick was being lauded as the best holding midfielder England have for the last two seasons.

Ferguson would disagree though, funny old game;)
    http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/May/sir-alex-ferguson-will-not-sign-a-holding-midfielder.aspx

• Advertisement

Two days to go and all quiet around WHL........

Sherwood said yesterday that Holtby & Capoue could leave.
    Is Baldini in Italy to sign Marco Vucinic and Fredy Guarin?
    And what about Berbatov? (Mitroglou signing for Fulham)

Hope Holtby & Capoue stay put. Plenty of games left to play.

Paper talk today saying Berbatov to us and Holtby the other way on loan. I think that would be ideal for us!

That would be ideal for both parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Paper talk today saying Berbatov to us and Holtby the other way on loan. I think that would be ideal for us!

100% happy with that if it's true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Yeah I thought Keane and Carrick could be described as that alright. Sure Carrick was being lauded as the best holding midfielder England have for the last two seasons.

Ferguson would disagree though, funny old game;)
    http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/May/sir-alex-ferguson-will-not-sign-a-holding-midfielder.aspx

That's gas. If Carrick isn't a holding midfielder, I honestly don't know what is. He's almost permanently 15 yards in front of the defence. I'd say the centre backs venture into the opposition penalty area more often than him.

T minus 37hrs......

LET THE TRANSFER MELTDOWN COMMENCE!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

It's a good laugh watching our club wind Liverpool fans up..

Two bits of gossip from Spurs Community....
    working on 2 in and 2 out. But probably too late for the ins. would be typical. "We tried but..."

Berba and that Dnipro fella maybe??? Unlikely either way.

2 loan options for us! Berbatov and nani! Would strengthen us! United want permanent

Berba I'd be happy with. Nani not so much...... unless TS could get the glimpses of quality we've seen from him going..... once again, unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Two bits of gossip from Spurs Community....

Berba and that Dnipro fella maybe??? Unlikely either way.

Berba I'd be happy with. Nani not so much...... unless TS could get the glimpses of quality we've seen from him going..... once again, unlikely.

id take nani, he is good

mickman wrote: »
    id take nani, he is good

Is Nani an upgrade on Lennon or Townsend, I'm not so sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Is Nani an upgrade on Lennon or Townsend, I'm not so sure

In a Michael Jackson look-a-like contest ?

Everyday of the week.

Emoran wrote: »

Everyday of the week.

I always thought he had a hint of Jeff Goldblum? They should remake the Fly with Nani.

Emoran wrote: »

Everyday of the week.

Wacko Jacko probably has a better 'touch' than him alright ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Lots of talk that Holtby is gone to Fulham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Oddly enough it is pochettino who is confirming that Holtby has signed for Fulham in a press conference. I'm guessing Southampton wanted him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Surely your not buying more players shur yee bought half the footballing world in the summer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Surely your not buying more players shur yee bought half the footballing world in the summer:D

If they are midfielders, foreign, unproven, slightly better then average and speak little or no English, then there's a good chance we're interested.

• Advertisement

Lots of talk that Holtby is gone to Fulham

Yeah and Taarabt has signed for AC Milan, curious case that fella!;)

Advertisement