Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

ah sure why would tim want anyone this Jan, its not as if we need a left back, or a replacement for a striker who is heading to MLS in a few weeks... Id say levy is loving this not spending money in january attitude.
    Although, its better than swapping Berbs for Fraiser Campell and a few million

Ah, that's a positivenote to close this discussion on. :)

Over on Spurs Community there's a rumour going around that Levy has had the Berba deal practically done for a week, only for Tim Sherwood to delay.... resulting in Berba deciding to go to Monaco.

This would be supported by the fact Tim Sherwood has come out himself and said the chairman has offered to stengthen the squad but he has turned him down.

Which would suggest there is no smoke and mirrors.

It's black and white, Tim is really happy with what he's got at the moment! :eek:

I'm not too bothered if we don't bring someone in, because Lamela can be played as a forward. Though it's a massive gamble on TS's part. If we don't get 4th, the chairman will tell him he should have strengthened in January.

Maybe Tim feels that he's got a good group spirit and he doesn't want to upset that? Maybe he's trying to motivate the players?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Over on Spurs Community there's a rumour going around that Levy has had the Berba deal practically done for a week, only for Tim Sherwood to delay.... resulting in Berba deciding to go to Monaco.

This would be supported by the fact Tim Sherwood has come out himself and said the chairman has offered to stengthen the squad but he has turned him down.

Which would suggest there is no smoke and mirrors.

It's black and white, Tim is really happy with what he's got at the moment! :eek:

I'm not too bothered if we don't bring someone in, because Lamela can be played as a forward. Though it's a massive gamble on TS's part. If we don't get 4th, the chairman will tell him he should have strengthened in January.

Maybe Tim feels that he's got a good group spirit and he doesn't want to upset that? Maybe he's trying to motivate the players?
    Well either way I reckon Levy will have someone else in the Summer to take over from him unless he gets some ridiculous results that fires spurs up the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Levy is only going to do short term moves such as Berbatov because Sherwood is getting sacked in the summer regardless. An eighteen month contract is not worth the paper it's written on.

If you consider Lamela a forward and Rose good enough at LB, with Sandro, Kaboul, Vertz & Paulinho coming back into contention we are pretty solid.

Is Tim taking a big punt on Soldado & Lamela finding form & staying fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Also a rumour that we were negotiating all week for Townsend to go to United, I'd be shocked if true ! Did he fall out with Sherwood/Levy ?

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Also a rumour that we were negotiating all week for Townsend to go to United, I'd be shocked if true ! Did he fall out with Sherwood/Levy ?

You'd be shocked? I'd the rumoured price of £20m is to be believed then it's an unbelievable deal for Spurs.

I know he's a luxury but surely having Berba back at the Lane would have given the fans a lift at least? God knows we need it after some of the thrashings this season.

Disappointed with Sherwood if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

You'd be shocked? I'd the rumoured price of £20m is to be believed then it's an unbelievable deal for Spurs.

Ye reckon, I wouldn't sell, Townsend will be great for Spurs

Liverpool's results suffer without Lucas.
    Arsenal are a shadow of a team without Flammini.
    On a par with Bale, Sandro was our most important player last season. Our results were impacted after his injury at QPR.
    Man Utd. fans have been crying out for a holding midfielder all season (it's no coincidence that they sit 7th).

Just a point on our holding midfielder conversation, how poor did City look last night without Fernandinho?

Demichelis was like a duck out off water, his positioning was awful. As a result Yaya Toure had to do twice the work and wasn't near effective going forward. The look on his face in the last ten minutes was priceless, he was a broken man.... shattered, losing 1-0 and crying out for Fernandinho to be fit again.

Fernandinho is the 'holding midfielder' of the City midfield, he covers in front of the defence and gives Silva/Toure more freedom going forward. There is no doubt in my mind that the result of that game would have been different if Fernandinho was on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I know he's a luxury but surely having Berba back at the Lane would have given the fans a lift at least? God knows we need it after some of the thrashings this season.

Disappointed with Sherwood if true.

You think he should've bought a player he didn't want, just to give the fans a lift?

That would end up with said fans chanting every game for said player to be brought on.

Every time we lost or drew it would be said that we would've won if he had been in the starting line up.

• Advertisement

Couldn't be any worse than Soldado.

Apparently we've signed 'the next Andre Iniesta' in 17yr old Musa Yahaya from Nigeria.

The last time I remember this happening was when we had signed the next Zinedine Zidane in young Adel Taraabt:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yeh posted that in the u21's thread. Nothing to write home about just yet. We're not really a club for nurturing these 'next big things' though are we?

irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh posted that in the u21's thread. Nothing to write home about just yet. We're not really a club for nurturing these 'next big things' though are we?

Ah I see that now, sorry.

We sure ain't, GDS too forgot about him;)

Let's hope he bucks the trend..

We've tended to get talented but lazy next big things: Taarabt, Boateng and GDS to name a few.

Still Bale went well. He was definitely worth those 3 failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

John Bostock was supposed to be the next big thing...he's now playing in the Belgian second division for Royal Antwerp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Didn't quite a few people tip Terry Dixon as a megastar before the poor chap had horrendous luck with injuries

Ahhh Terry Dixon. The guy was actually quality until the injuries. Could have been a regular goalscorer for the national team by now...

When I played against Anthony Stokes everyone was all talk about him. Back then he apparently had 17 clubs chasing him but not sure how true that is.

I could see he was good as I was marking him and it was a horrible day. That's all I'll say.

Little off topic I guess...

Come on Coulibaly or Pritchard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Saw this on Twitter

Football Direct News report Benteke was set to sign for Tottenham until Head Coach at the time Villas Boas pulled the plug on the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Not a hope. I wouldn't want that maniac near our squad. Decent player, but too much baggage and controversy.

Off Harry Hotspur - Gullit tells an interesting story of when Ferdinand & Sherwood went to scout Suarez. I've watched several Van Gaal videos, not a man to be fúcked with. Love to see him as our next manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Off Harry Hotspur - Gullit tells an interesting story of when Ferdinand & Sherwood went to scout Suarez. I've watched several Van Gaal videos, not a man to be fúcked with. Love to see him as our next manager.
    What are they saying?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    What are they saying?!

If you watch it on the main youtube page you can turn english subtitles on. This impromptu interview took place during the Jan transfer window but it's worth a watch.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    What are they saying?!

They came to scout Suarez, Gullit told them buy but they declined. Well worth a watch, Van Gaal is a nutter.

Van Gaal pretty much stonewalled the reporter but his comments suggest he's taking over. That's my reading of his answers anyway, or at least that he's been offered the job and he won't comment any further until after the World Cup.

What's that reporter to Gullits left on about, Tottenham reflex? When was the last time we appointed a manager that has coached the top team in three European leages winning 15+ trophies?! That said looks like a great show, beats the hell out of Giles & Dunphy rambling on itno their old age!

As for Sherwood and Ferdinand opting not to buy Suarez, face in palms, what a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Van Gaal pretty much stonewalled the reporter but his comments suggest he's taking over. That's my reading of his answers anyway, or at least that he's been offered the job and he won't comment any further until after the World Cup.

What's that reporter to Gullits left on about, Tottenham reflex? When was the last time we appointed a manager that has coached the top team in three European leages winning 15+ trophies?! That said looks like a great show, beats the hell out of Giles & Dunphy rambling on itno their old age!

As for Sherwood and Ferdinand opting not to buy Suarez, face in palms, what a mistake.

Thought 'arry turned down suarez? And if this is from them scouting suarez surely its years old?

• Advertisement

But you could say that every club except Liverpool opted not to buy Suarez. He was with Ajax for 4 seasons. He scored 3 goals in the 2010 World Cup. Probably every club in Europe that had 20m to spend had scouted him. It's not like he was an unknown. Guaranteed United, Arsenal and Chelsea all ran the rule over him while he was at Ajax.

Advertisement