Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If he had come to us originally, he'd have bitched and moaned and left by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Kiith wrote: »
    If he had come to us originally, he'd have bitched and moaned and left by now.

Guaranteed he would have been sold at the first sign of interest from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Guaranteed he would have been sold at the first sign of interest from abroad.

What makes you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Thought 'arry turned down suarez? And if this is from them scouting suarez surely its years old?

Yeah it is years old, but I never knew they were the ones who reported back to HR that he wasn't good enough. Did you?
    Ormus wrote: »
    But you could say that every club except Liverpool opted not to buy Suarez. He was with Ajax for 4 seasons. He scored 3 goals in the 2010 World Cup. Probably every club in Europe that had 20m to spend had scouted him. It's not like he was an unknown. Guaranteed United, Arsenal and Chelsea all ran the rule over him while he was at Ajax.

I don't give a fcuk about other clubs, I'm talking about our club. We had the opportunity to sign Suarez and we turned it down. That is all. I don't understand what you're trying to say.
    What makes you say that?

Really? Have we learned nothing?

Yeah it is years old, but I never knew they were the ones who reported back to HR that he wasn't good enough. Did you?

I don't give a fcuk about other clubs, I'm talking about our club. We had the opportunity to sign Suarez and we turned it down. That is all. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Really? Have we learned nothing?

I'm trying to say that signing players isn't that black n white. It's not like they simply gave Suarez the thumbs down. He was one of the most highly rated young strikers playing in Europe. It's not like we were simply offered Suarez and said no thanks. That seems to be what you're saying.

Not sure what you mean by the comment about learning nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

What makes you say that?

I just don't think he would have stayed as long as he has in Liverpool, but that is just my opinion. This summer will tell a lot about the difference between us Pool when it comes to keeping our star players.

I just don't think he would have stayed as long as he has in Liverpool, but that is just my opinion. This summer will tell a lot about the difference between us Pool when it comes to keeping our star players.

If Liverpool finish 5th it will

Benzema is on fire at Real though. Not sure if Suarez would wanna join PSG or Monaco. He wouldn't be Bayern or Barca's type. I'd say Pool have a chance of keeping him if they get 4th.

I'm trying to say that signing players isn't that black n white. It's not like they simply gave Suarez the thumbs down. He was one of the most highly rated young strikers playing in Europe. It's not like we were simply offered Suarez and said no thanks. That seems to be what you're saying.

Not sure what you mean by the comment about learning nothing.

Sure, signing players isn't black and white. What I'm saying is Redknapp publicly stated in December 2010 that the chairman wanted him to spend big on a player but that he (HR) would only do so if it improved the first team. Redknapp is also quoted as saying he regrets not signing Suarez. Now we have Ruud Gullit who is friends with Jamie Redknapp saying that he advised Tottenham to snap him up but that Ferdinand and Sherwood advised HR against a move for the Uruguayan. This is what I am saying.

Learning nothing i.e. historical evidence of our transfer policy shows that we speculate on talent, develop that talent and then sell to the highest bidder, preferably European.

I just don't think he would have stayed as long as he has in Liverpool, but that is just my opinion

You're probably right e.g last season neither of us qualified for the Champions League, Liverpool signed their best player up to a new contract, we sold ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Am I the only one whose actually kinda glad we never signed Suarez? The bad publicity we would have gotten would have been horrible and he most likely would have been sold as I don't see the club defending a player as much as Liverpool defended Suarez.

I wouldn't sell my soul to the devil for all the riches in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

irishmover wrote: »
    Am I the only one whose actually kinda glad we never signed Suarez? The bad publicity we would have gotten would have been horrible and he most likely would have been sold as I don't see the club defending a player as much as Liverpool defended Suarez.

I wouldn't sell my soul to the devil for all the riches in the world.

I'd have loved to see us get him, brilliant player, gotta just take the bad stuff and deal with it

irishmover wrote: »
    Am I the only one whose actually kinda glad we never signed Suarez?

I'd say you might be yeah! :D:D

Sure, signing players isn't black and white. What I'm saying is Redknapp publicly stated in December 2010 that the chairman wanted him to spend big on a player but that he (HR) would only do so if it improved the first team. Redknapp is also quoted as saying he regrets not signing Suarez. Now we have Ruud Gullit who is friends with Jamie Redknapp saying that he advised Tottenham to snap him up but that Ferdinand and Sherwood advised HR against a move for the Uruguayan. This is what I am saying.

Learning nothing i.e. historical evidence of our transfer policy shows that we speculate on talent, develop that talent and then sell to the highest bidder, preferably European.

Ok. But pretty much every manager regrets not signing Suarez. Same as they all regret not signing Bale from Southampton. Plenty of people predicted he would be world class but nobody knew for sure.

Historical evidence has shown me that when Spurs develop a world class player that player agitates for a move and goes on strike when we try to keep them.

I can't think of any good player we've sold at the first sign of interest from abroad.

Ok. But pretty much every manager regrets not signing Suarez. Same as they all regret not signing Bale from Southampton. Plenty of people predicted he would be world class but nobody knew for sure.

Historical evidence has shown me that when Spurs develop a world class player that player agitates for a move and goes on strike when we try to keep them.

I can't think of any good player we've sold at the first sign of interest from abroad.

The point is not the manager, the point is Sherwood and Ferdinand were the scouts. They recommended not signing him.

Huh? Bale was always being sold, Levy dragged it out for the best price but the minute he didn't play in Asia he was gone.

The point is not the manager, the point is Sherwood and Ferdinand were the scouts. They recommended not signing him.

Huh? Bale was always being sold, Levy dragged it out for the best price but the minute he didn't play in Asia he was gone.

But Bale refused to stay. He insisted on leaving. He even refused to train cos Spurs were dragging their heels so much.

That's pretty much the opposite of being sold at the first sign of interest.

Does anyone think we coulda kept Bale for good and kept him happy and performing?

But Bale refused to stay. He insisted on leaving. He even refused to train cos Spurs were dragging their heels so much.

That's pretty much the opposite of being sold at the first sign of interest.

Does anyone think we coulda kept Bale for good and kept him happy and performing?

Why do you reckon we sell our best players at the last minute? They're always being sold, Levy's just squeezing.

Why not keep Bale? Liverpool kept Suarez and they finished 7th!

Why do you reckon we sell our best players at the last minute? They're always being sold, Levy's just squeezing.

Why not keep Bale? Liverpool kept Suarez and they finished 7th!

But Suarez stayed of his own accord. And because Real cooled their interest. And nobody bid €100m for him.

You really think it's the same?

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Bale woulda refused to play. The club would've fined him. His head not in the right place etc etc. eventually he would've stopped sulking but not before our season was ruined with all the unrest. Then Real woulda snapped him up for 40m next summer.

Obviously we wasted the money but that's another story.

But Suarez stayed of his own accord. And because Real cooled their interest. And nobody bid €100m for him.

You really think it's the same?

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Bale woulda refused to play. The club would've fined him. His head not in the right place etc etc. eventually he would've stopped sulking but not before our season was ruined with all the unrest. Then Real woulda snapped him up for 40m next summer.

Obviously we wasted the money but that's another story.

Imagine this Ormus mate, wouldnt it be great to be in the Champions League next season or have a shot at the premier title?

"For the first time (with Suarez) we took the position that we weren't selling. Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position we're just not selling and it's been great for Luis, it's been great for us, and what will happen at the end of year, I think we're going to make Champions League and we have a small chance of winning the Premier League this year."
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9194104/liverpool-owner-john-henry-confirms-luis-suarez-did-have-a-40m-buy-out-clause-in-his-last-contract

Imagine this Ormus mate, wouldnt it be great to be in the Champions League next season or have a shot at the premier title?

"For the first time (with Suarez) we took the position that we weren't selling. Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position we're just not selling and it's been great for Luis, it's been great for us, and what will happen at the end of year, I think we're going to make Champions League and we have a small chance of winning the Premier League this year."
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9194104/liverpool-owner-john-henry-confirms-luis-suarez-did-have-a-40m-buy-out-clause-in-his-last-contract

Ah in all fairness, do I really need to answer that question? I don't understand why you asked it. We're clearly all on the same page on that count.

I think you're missing the point if you think the Suarez and Bale situations were the same.

Suarez looked like he was gonna engineer a move, but he didn't in the end. Real didn't firm up their interest so he decided to stay.

Bale decided he was going. It was as simple as that. The club were left with a choice of either selling and investing the money in players, or keeping an unhappy player, possibly him on strike, definitely headnotintherightplace guff, general club upheaval, yada yada yada, we all know how it goes.

It's all very noble John Henry saying they decided not to sell, but in reality he didn't have a choice. If Real had come in with the £40m plus 1 pound offer, Henry woulda said no, Suarez would said you don't get to say no chump, the clause has been activated, adios.

I think you're missing the point if you think the Suarez and Bale situations were the same.

Suarez looked like he was gonna engineer a move, but he didn't in the end. Real didn't firm up their interest so he decided to stay.

Bale decided he was going. It was as simple as that. The club were left with a choice of either selling and investing the money in players, or keeping an unhappy player, possibly him on strike, definitely headnotintherightplace guff, general club upheaval, yada yada yada, we all know how it goes.

It's all very noble John Henry saying they decided not to sell, but in reality he didn't have a choice. If Real had come in with the £40m plus 1 pound offer, Henry woulda said no, Suarez would said you don't get to say no chump, the clause has been activated, adios.

Bale decided he was going? Not sure about that. I'd hazard a guess Bale was told he would be sold once Real matched Spurs' valuation. There's a difference there. Bale had expected to leave and then sulked over the brinksmanship that followed.

Arsenal bid £40m plus one pound. They triggered his release clause. Liverpool refused to sell. Am I missing something here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

You cannot compare them, Bale was twice the money, a world record fee and IMO all the work of his agent.

You think if Suarez had his head turned he'd still be there?

Bale decided he was going? Not sure about that. I'd hazard a guess Bale was told he would be sold once Real matched Spurs' valuation. There's a difference there. Bale had expected to leave and then sulked over the brinksmanship that followed.

Arsenal bid £40m plus one pound. They triggered his release clause. Liverpool refused to sell. Am I missing something here?

Whats your source for that information? I read during the summer several times that Bale said he wanted to join Real and that was his dream and he wouldn't stay. I never once heard anyone claim that the club instigated the sale.

What you're missing it that the whole point of a release clause is that you can't refuse to sell someone once it's activated. Henry's refusal meant nothing. It was a bluff. Suarez could've left at that stage if he wanted. But he wasn't bothered joining Arsenal.

Once a release clause is met a club cannot 'refuse to sell' it's completely in the players hands at that stage.

Either Suarez decided he wasn't going to arsenal or Arsenal never met the release clause. Either way, nothing to do with Henry or Liverpool.

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7516637

Looks like that guy Yahaya from Nigeria has signed and gone to celta Vigo on loan. And according to this we've also signed a young Belgian lad aswell.

http://www.soccernews.com/tottenham-interested-ismail-azzaoui-william-carvalho-talks-sporting-cp-exit/139540/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Great, sure he'll be like a new signing.

A new very expensive flop signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Great, sure he'll be like a new signing.

A new very expensive flop signing.

Wont get near the first 11 between here and season end

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd rather see him come on than having Townsend play the way he has lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »

most likely correct, then again who knows maybe he'll come on and get the winner in a big game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

mickman wrote: »

I disagree. I think TS sees his potential is through the middle. If he's fully fit in two weeks I could see him playing a decent part in the run in..... WC around the corner n'all.

Advertisement