Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Transfer Gossip

Options
1939495969799»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I disagree. I think TS sees his potential is through the middle. If he's fully fit in two weeks I could see him playing a decent part in the run in..... WC around the corner n'all.

dont think he played in the middle for roma - came in off left wing if i am correct

he doesnt have the strength for the middle in the PL - not yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

He played left and right but I don't remember seeing much of him in the middle for Roma. I even think he was more on the right side than left aswell but was a long time ago I looked it up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

irishmover wrote: »
    He played left and right but I don't remember seeing much of him in the middle for Roma. I even think he was more on the right side than left aswell but was a long time ago I looked it up..

Certainly worth a run in the right instead of Lennon or Townsend, both offer very little and are hyped up by the British media

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

As soon as I saw him playing for us, I came to the conclusion that his best place is off the striker through the middle. I think TS sees it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ormus wrote: »
    What you're missing it that the whole point of a release clause is that you can't refuse to sell someone once it's activated. Henry's refusal meant nothing. It was a bluff. Suarez could've left at that stage if he wanted. But he wasn't bothered joining Arsenal.

Just on the suarez clause. From my understanding the clause was that suarez had to be notified if such a bid was made. It wasnt a minimum fee release clause.

He was notified but im assuming that he was holding out for Real to come in and do the same. In the end they didnt and rodgers convinced him to stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Just on the suarez clause. From my understanding the clause was that suarez had to be notified if such a bid was made. It wasnt a minimum fee release clause.

He was notified but im assuming that he was holding out for Real to come in and do the same. In the end they didnt and rodgers convinced him to stay

Where did you read that? I would have thought a club has to inform a player if any bid is made for him anyway.

This is what the Guardian has on it: Henry is reported to have said. "He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals, offered £40m plus £1."

I was following the transfer on bbc. I remember reading an article on it but cant find it. This is as close as i got

"The approach triggered a clause in his contract that means he has been told of the bid and can now talk to Arsenal."

So from my understanding the clause was that he could have talked to arsenal but the clubs still needed to reach an agreement on the price

This is in the Independent, quote from Henry speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference during the week:

And he had a buy-out clause - I don't know what degree I should go into this - but he had a buy-out clause of £40million - more than 60 million (US) dollars. So Arsenal, one of our prime rivals this year ... they offered £40million and one pound for him and triggered his buy-out clause.

I read that today as well. Its really weird. He based his argument on contracts meaning nothing in football. Its really weird to hear the head of a club coming out with something like that

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I read that today as well. Its really weird. He based his argument on contracts meaning nothing in football. Its really weird to hear the head of a club coming out with something like that

Yeah it's bizarre alright. Football is beyond crazy like that. Gigantic sums of money being thrown around by people with very little business sense.

I'm not saying Henry is bad at business, just that football contracts seem to be made by children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Reading a rumour that Ian Broomfield is returning as head of scouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

According to the mail last week, he was heading to the gooners.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    According to the mail last week, he was heading to the gooners.

According to about 4-5 sources yesterday he's not. Levy swooped in apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

According to about 4-5 sources yesterday he's not. Levy swooped in apparently.

Ya read that since. Daniel gona go on another spree in the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Rumours on Twitter that there's new pics from the weekend of Levy in Holland taking to Van Gaal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hopefully this means the end of Baldini, another total flop by our club and what a waste of 100million.

You think Levy would have learnt from Arnesen and Comolli that the club isn't built for DOF's.

I suppose most likely scenario now is that:

LVG will be offered a role to take over after the World Cup.

Baldini to hopefully be shown the door as we don't need a DOF

LVG be required to give an overview of the players before then and provide a list potential signings.

Then a lot of movements. We'll need two new centre backs, a new goalkeeper, a new left back and then most likely 1-2 new attacking players after a few more have exited.

Vertonghen and Lloris will leave. Kaboul may have to retire. And attacking wise any of them could be sold.

I've just got a feeling that this summer is going to be worse than the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

You think Levy would have learnt from Arnesen and Comolli that the club isn't built for DOF's.

LVG be required to give an overview of the players before then and provide a list potential signings.

Then a lot of movements. We'll need two new centre backs, a new goalkeeper, a new left back and then most likely 1-2 new attacking players after a few more have exited.

Vertonghen and Lloris will leave. Kaboul may have to retire. And attacking wise any of them could be sold.

Yes Vertonghen is more or less gone already but Lloris might stay one more season, just have a feeling about it. A new CB and LB are essential and then it is totally upto the new manager who he wants to add and sell in midfiled and attack.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Yes Vertonghen is more or less gone already but Lloris might stay one more season, just have a feeling about it. A new CB and LB are essential and then it is totally upto the new manager who he wants to add and sell in midfiled and attack.

I don't know about Lloris. PSG I'm sure would snap at the French Number one. Even though Sirigu is doing pretty good. Just I suppose depends on money with them.

Lloris did say he'd reassess things in the summer and if he saw Vertonghen leave it might sway him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

This is what I don't get, why do we need a new keeper and centre half to replace Lloris and Vert? They are under contract. They are 2 very good player once their head is on it, sell them and start again and then moan next season when we are mid-table. Sell our best players ??? Should we not be keeping our best players and trying to move forward ? Surely if we get LVG for example, he's not going to sanction the sale of 2 of our best players ???

Hatch99 wrote: »
    This is what I don't get, why do we need a new keeper and centre half to replace Lloris and Vert? They are under contract. They are 2 very good player once their head is on it, sell them and start again and then moan next season when we are mid-table. Sell our best players ??? Should we not be keeping our best players and trying to move forward ? Surely if we get LVG for example, he's not going to sanction the sale of 2 of our best players ???

I said most likely scenario mate. I never said I wanted it to happen.

Judging by their statements recently and Vertonghens attitude/performances of late I'd be very surprised if both were at the club September 2nd.

I'd obviously want both of them there but it's looking more likely they won't.

I said most likely scenario mate. I never said I wanted it to happen.

Judging by their statements recently and Vertonghens attitude/performances of late I'd be very surprised if both were at the club September 2nd.

I'd obviously want both of them there but it's looking more likely they won't.

Well if they both leave, we really are a laughing stock.

Well if they both leave, we really are a laughing stock.

Forcing them to stay will be another Bale/Modric/Berbatov situation.

That'll be definitely a laughing stock aswell.

Forcing them to stay will be another Bale/Modric/Berbatov situation.

That'll be definitely a laughing stock aswell.

Wouldn't it look great if we go out and get a good new manager and then sell 2 of our best players from under his nose. Although we might make a few bob in doing it and buying cheaper replacements with good potential....

Wouldn't it look great if we go out and get a good new manager and then sell 2 of our best players from under his nose. Although we might make a few bob in doing it and buying cheaper replacements with good potential....

Ofcourse not and I'm not denying that it would look anything but bad.

Contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on, we all know that. If Vertonghen and Lloris want to leave this summer I'm sure they'll get their way. I simply stated that it's the most likely scenario because atleast Vertonghen head is not in the club anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Seems like a man who really cares about the club, so it would be nice to keep him involved in some way, although he seems to either want the top job or nout.

There is absolutely no question that Lloris and Vertonghen will be sold to raise money.

The only way they'll be sold is if they refuse to stay and fight for the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Vert looks set to leave alright and i would say the same for Lloris. Makes perfecct sense in the end. Can't wait to see the back of Baldini...absolutely no need for him at all, but on a positive, Broomfield looks set to be making a return.

We need to get our attacking positions covered asap. The only player I would actually keep from the signings we've made is Eriksen. I do feel he'll come on bit by bit

Advertisement