Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water changes

Options
  • 28-04-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what way you guys do you water changes. I've always syphoned the water out of the tank into the container, refilled with cold water, brought the temperature up with hot water, add the conditioner, leave for a few minutes then tip into the tank. I've never had a problem doing that way.

I was recently reading another forum and a lot of people add the fresh water to tank then add the conditioner to the tank. I was actually shocked people did it that way as I always thought the chlorine would kill the bacteria straight away. Some of these people are keeping fish years and never had a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm currently doing a small WC every couple of days since I accidentally forgot to add the condtioner first, just in case.

Usually I drain the water into a bucket, dump that into the flower bed, put the conditioner in the bucket, fill it with water at the right temperature from the tap, and syphon it back into the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kylith wrote: »
    I'm currently doing a small WC every couple of days since I accidentally forgot to add the condtioner first, just in case.

Usually I drain the water into a bucket, dump that into the flower bed, put the conditioner in the bucket, fill it with water at the right temperature from the tap, and syphon it back into the tank.

How do you manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Just wondering what way you guys do you water changes. I've always syphoned the water out of the tank into the container, refilled with cold water, brought the temperature up with hot water, add the conditioner, leave for a few minutes then tip into the tank. I've never had a problem doing that way.

I was recently reading another forum and a lot of people add the fresh water to tank then add the conditioner to the tank. I was actually shocked people did it that way as I always thought the chlorine would kill the bacteria straight away. Some of these people are keeping fish years and never had a problem.

This is exactly what I do. Never had any issues.

Check out THIS thread. Most went for option B, which surprised me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

But they'd need more conditioner that way, since they'd have to add enough for the whole tank, rather than for the water they're replacing :confused:

Baffles me, I would never put untreated water near my tank. Chlorine other water extras are not something I'm willing to risk.

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    But they'd need more conditioner that way, since they'd have to add enough for the whole tank, rather than for the water they're replacing :confused:

Baffles me, I would never put untreated water near my tank. Chlorine other water extras are not something I'm willing to risk.

I really don't get it myself. Another thing, there's a piece of equipment called a 'python' that connects to your tap. It comes with a hose that goes in your tank and when the tap is turned on it sucks the water from tank. Then you reverse the procedure and directly fill the tank from the tap. These things are extremely popular. Doesn't make sense to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I really don't get it myself. Another thing, there's a piece of equipment called a 'python' that connects to your tap. It comes with a hose that goes in your tank and when the tap is turned on it sucks the water from tank. Then you reverse the procedure and directly fill the tank from the tap. These things are extremely popular. Doesn't make sense to me.

I've seen a similar thing for sale in a few places, Mr S wanted to get one but I've stuck to my guns on this one. No untreated water hits my tanks, however convenient it might be!

It might be okay in places where the water is 100%, but there's so much in water that's harmful to fish - metals, ammonia traces and nitrates in some places, chlorine, chlorosamines and all sorts of things. Chances are it may be fine, for a long time, but all it needs is for some mistake in the water (like Galway, for example, or Cumbria) and they've wiped out all their fish from putting the water directly from the tap into the tank. Might be alright if they're not attached or haven't spent a fortune building up their stock, and can just say "oh well all the fish died lol better buy something even better" and everything will truck along fine til the next time the water from the tap is less than perfect.

Yeah, I think when you spend a lot of money on fish, you'll surely look after them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

I bought 2 identical 15L buckets in tesco (3 squid each). They have litre markings on the inside so i can work out the exact percentage water change.
    I keep one bucket with 15-20% of the tank volume treated with conditioner under the tank so its at a decent temp for the weekly changes.
    The second bucket is just for the dirty water. I siphon the dirty water out of the tank into this bucket up to the same mark as the clean treated water.
    Then, open up the filter and rinse it in the old tank water bucket (Tap water would kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter)
    Next i slowly pour the new water into tank and add a top up of bacteria.
    And thats my method :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

I just syphon the water straight out the sittingroom window then refill it with the hose. I have had the tank for a year and the only fish ive lost were eaten. They have never been sick not even ick. But when im refilling it i keep adding seachem prime every few minutes. Its better than wrecking the floor dragging 80 liter buckets out the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I siphon the water out in a container so I can check for shrimplets that were sucked in, then refill from a wheelie bin using a pump. I actually have a JBL aqua in-out and was willing to give it a try, but couldn't find an adapter for my tap. I figured out that so many people are using it and is actually produced by a reputable name in fishkeeping, can't be a bad thing.

So you guys pump fresh tap water straight onto the tank? Surely the chlorine will kill the bacteria thus breaking down the natural cycle in the tank.

I suppose if you're changing a lot of water regularly it will keep the nasty stuff's levels down.

I'm the complete opposite. Tap water is the devil to me. I won't let a drop of it near the tank, not even on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've 4 x 20L containers.

Fill 2 and add conditioner and use spare 300w heater to bring them up to temp, give about 30 mins in each.
    Syphon water out into the other two and them empty the first two in the tank.

Allows 40L of ~220L to be changed in less than 5 mins apart from heating time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I thought this thread was about water charges. :)
    brought the temperature up with hot water
    Realise that boiling water reduces the dissolved oxygen to zero.

http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/oceancolor/additional/science-focus/locus/images/DO_temp_14451_image001.jpg

Victor wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about water charges. :)Realise that boiling water reduces the dissolved oxygen to zero.

http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/oceancolor/additional/science-focus/locus/images/DO_temp_14451_image001.jpg

One kettle of water brings a 25 litre container up to about the correct temperature. That won't make any difference to the oxygene levels in the tank when it goes in. Then there's also the tank itself, which will re-oxygenate it anyway. But it's a good point anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How do you manage that?
    My big tank is only 120L, and is currently situated in my bathroom so I don't have to carry buckets far.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

I have a 25L drum which is I syphon water into every week, chuck it in the bath (misses goes crazy about pleco poo:rolleyes:) Then refill it with warm water from bath tap, drop a airstone in for 20 mins and add API stress coat. Check the temp to make sure its same as tank, shake it around for a min and then slowly add to tank.

I find it insane that people would add tap water directly to a tank. Defeats the purpose really? Even adding conditioner after water goes in would surely be too late? ie it would of already killed some or all bacteria?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

buzz wrote: »
    I have a 25L drum which is I syphon water into every week, chuck it in the bath (misses goes crazy about pleco poo:rolleyes:) Then refill it with warm water from bath tap, drop a airstone in for 20 mins and add API stress coat. Check the temp to make sure its same as tank, shake it around for a min and then slowly add to tank.

I find it insane that people would add tap water directly to a tank. Defeats the purpose really? Even adding conditioner after water goes in would surely be too late? ie it would of already killed some or all bacteria?

I've been topping up with tapwater for over a year now when i do water changes and its had no deterimental effect on my fish whatsoever.

IMO the "damaging" effects of a small amount of untreated tapwater are overstated and overrated...20% tapwater is NOT going to kill your tanks bacteria.

I believe the bad tap water hysteria was started by the same companies which are producing all the chemicals to make the water "safe" for fish use. I never used any conditioner on the water, just fill the bin a day before the w/c, bring it to temp with a few boiled kettles and let the pump on for an hour or so while I clean the tank and never had any mass death which could be related to chemicals in the tap water.

Degsy wrote: »
    I've been topping up with tapwater for over a year now when i do water changes and its had no deterimental effect on my fish whatsoever.

IMO the "damaging" effects of a small amount of untreated tapwater are overstated and overrated...20% tapwater is NOT going to kill your tanks bacteria.

That depends totally on how much chlorine is in the 20%. I for one don't know how much chlorine it takes to kill all of the bacteria in the tank. One thing for sure, is that it certainly kills some of it and I'm not going to knowingly kill a part of the ecosystem in the tank at every water change.

You can successfully keep fish without a filter, once enough water is changed to keep the amonnia levels down so maybe you have no bateria at all and the fish are still alive because of your regular water changes.

• Advertisement

m4r10 wrote: »
    I believe the bad tap water hysteria was started by the same companies which are producing all the chemicals to make the water "safe" for fish use. I never used any conditioner on the water, just fill the bin a day before the w/c, bring it to temp with a few boiled kettles and let the pump on for an hour or so while I clean the tank and never had any mass death which could be related to chemicals in the tap water.

Chlorine is a gas so it will dissipate fairly quickly from water especially with an air stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I get my water directly from pet store so siphon out the water I then add Nutrafin Cycle to the pet store water and add that in directly

have no 3 water changes so far and no loss of fish

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you're buying RO water, surely there's no need for any conditioner?

Sleepy wrote: »
    If you're buying RO water, surely there's no need for any conditioner?

I figure it cant do any harm though eitheir , I do worry that I never warm the water up but it does not seem to bother the fish and within a couple of hours it as at same heat anyway

PS
    Pet store give me the water for free

I'd be wary of the "can't do any harm" mentality when it comes to adding chemicals to your tank.

Nutrafin Cycle is one of those "get your filter bacteria started uber quickly" products isn't it? Surely that's completely unnecessary in a cycled tank? The bacteria would be in your filter media and substrate etc. rather than in the water you're removing.

I'd be wary of the "can't do any harm" mentality when it comes to adding chemicals to your tank.

Nutrafin Cycle is one of those "get your filter bacteria started uber quickly" products isn't it? Surely that's completely unnecessary in a cycled tank? The bacteria would be in your filter media and substrate etc. rather than in the water you're removing.

ya but pet store guy recommended it for when doing water changes I also add a little bit of prime to the water , been honest as a newbie I am putting my full trust in this guy but so far he has not let me down

What's the Pet Store? TBH, most know jack-sh1t about fish-keeping.

If the water has been Reverse Osmosis (RO) filtered, there's zero need for any conditioner (Prime) or filter boost (Nutrafin Cycle).

How long have you had the tank running? Did you do a fishless cycle before adding anything to the tank?

What's the Pet Store? TBH, most know jack-sh1t about fish-keeping.

If the water has been Reverse Osmosis (RO) filtered, there's zero need for any conditioner (Prime) or filter boost (Nutrafin Cycle).

How long have you had the tank running? Did you do a fishless cycle before adding anything to the tank?

Petstore is underwater world in Limerick

I cycled tank fishless for 2 weeks ( did use nutrafin cycle and prime during cycle ) and it is running now maybe a further 3 weeks with fish and so far so good ( altough I have noticed I can never see my betta during the day and then night comes and seems to appear out of nowhere )

Chlorine is a gas so it will dissipate fairly quickly from water especially with an air stone.

That's the only reason I let the water stay in the bin for 24 hours, I'm not concerned with the other "harmful" elements. If it's good enough for me to drink it, that it should do for my fish as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement