Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing for International Student

Options
  • 28-04-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone. I'm going to be studying in UCD for the fall semester with a few of my friends from my American University. Right now we have to decide whether to live on or off campus. What would you suggest? Any specific dorm recommendations?

On one hand, I do want to be a part of campus life, but I get the feeling that universities in Europe aren't as campus-orientated as American universities. It would also be interesting living off campus so I could experience living in Dublin. However, I'm a bit worried about how far away these dorms would be. Another big question is, how do you guys get back to campus (or your off campus accommodation) after a night out? I hear the buses stop running at 11pm. Do you always just split a cab, or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I'm not sure about the type of accommodation on UCD, but the International office can probably be of more use. On campus locations are pretty close to the central buildings, about 10 mins walk as far as I know.

Buses stop running around 11:30, but there is a NiteLink which runs about every 30 mins and will take you towards UCD (46n I think). You can get a taxi and split it but the cost will vary depending on the driver/traffic/speed etc. The alternative is to either walk (about 6km or so - don't recommend it), or wait till 6am when the normal buses start running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

It's quite cheap if you're going back in a full taxi and split the fare. I live on campus with international students and they find that it's very quiet on the weekend as a lot of Irish students go home so you're definitely right in so far as it's a lot less campus oriented than in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iashleighx

lctake2 wrote: »
    It's quite cheap if you're going back in a full taxi and split the fare. I live on campus with international students and they find that it's very quiet on the weekend as a lot of Irish students go home so you're definitely right in so far as it's a lot less campus oriented than in other countries.

I think I'm leaning more towards off campus. I was considering Muckross because its catered, but I've read some stuff that says the rooms are small and its just not a good dorm. Which one of the off campus dorms would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

iashleighx wrote: »
    I think I'm leaning more towards off campus. I was considering Muckross because its catered, but I've read some stuff that says the rooms are small and its just not a good dorm. Which one of the off campus dorms would you recommend?

I stayed in Muckross and loved it- it's really great if you're looking to meet new people since meals and the living room are all communal. The rooms were much the same size as my room here in Glenomena (one of the most expensive on campus accommodations) but really- you're going to be spending most of your time outside it anyway, and I got by perfectly fine with it. I heard some people telling others there aren't desks in rooms, which simply isn't true. Oh, and you get unlimited free tea- it's sweet if you have an addiction to it like myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iashleighx

Meow_Meow wrote: »

I stayed in Muckross and loved it- it's really great if you're looking to meet new people since meals and the living room are all communal. The rooms were much the same size as my room here in Glenomena (one of the most expensive on campus accommodations) but really- you're going to be spending most of your time outside it anyway, and I got by perfectly fine with it. I heard some people telling others there aren't desks in rooms, which simply isn't true. Oh, and you get unlimited free tea- it's sweet if you have an addiction to it like myself!

Nice. Are the rooms double or single? It's weird that there is so little information about it on UCDs website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

iashleighx wrote: »
    Nice. Are the rooms double or single? It's weird that there is so little information about it on UCDs website.

There's a tiny minority of double bedrooms, but I'm pretty sure you have to request them. The vast majority of college accommodation here is one single bed per room

Advertisement