Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a UK sim for 8 days?

Options
  • 28-04-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm heading to the lake district (where Wifi is pretty much non existent) in a weeks time. I would like to have access to the usual Facebook, boards and email and data roaming is crazy prohibitive.

Would it be possible to pick up a free uk sim for my unlocked IPhone? I know Vodaphone do 25mb for 1 pound which should be fine but if I pick up a sim from a Vodaphone shop would I need to change settings in the phone for it to work or would the 3G work immediately? Is there a better alternative.

Considering how much using Data is now the norm on phones, sure the price of using it abroad must come down.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I use portuguese and slovak sims in my phone without a problem so it should be the same for a uk sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

BrianJD wrote: »
    Hi

I'm heading to the lake district (where Wifi is pretty much non existent) in a weeks time. I would like to have access to the usual Facebook, boards and email and data roaming is crazy prohibitive.

Would it be possible to pick up a free uk sim for my unlocked IPhone? I know Vodaphone do 25mb for 1 pound which should be fine but if I pick up a sim from a Vodaphone shop would I need to change settings in the phone for it to work or would the 3G work immediately? Is there a better alternative.

Considering how much using Data is now the norm on phones, sure the price of using it abroad must come down.

Thanks

Get a 3 sim same rates as here top up with 20e for unlimited data or buy a bundle for 5e better still port your main number to 3 and get this all the time plus free calls and any network text. BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Get a 3 sim same rates as here top up with 20e for unlimited data or buy a bundle for 5e better still port your main number to 3 and get this all the time plus free calls and any network text. BOOM!

Cool. I would need to log on to the Three network in the UK. Any idea how popular it is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Cool. I would need to log on to the Three network in the UK. Any idea how popular it is there?

Was down the south last weekend no issues at all check three.co.uk for coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I'd be a little weary on relying on 3UK coverage - while it's generally grand in well built up places like the south of England, looking at 3's coverage (which is marked out as "Mobile Broadband" coverage) around the Lake District it's fine around the main towns and major roads but not that great off it, which will depend on what you're planning to do. AFAIK 3IRL PAYG sims will only roam on to 3UK and no other UK network. If you picked up a 3UK PAYG sim, the 2G fallback to Orange has been switched off in some places and where it's still available, data access is more or less crippled to the pages of a reduced Planet 3 service.

Vodafone, O2 and Orange/T-Mobile OTOH have better 2G/3G coverage than 3's 3G coverage alone in that area. With an Orange or T-Mobile sim card, you can roam on to each other's network at no charge either, 2G should definitely work and 3G probably will as well. Also T-Mobile should have 3G coverage where 3 has anyway. 2G is better than nothing and Voda, O2 and Orange have varying levels of EDGE coverage alongside GPRS.

A PAYG sim is easy enough to get. If you know the place you are staying first will take post addressed to you, you could go on to any of the operator's web sites and order a free PAYG sim card to be sent to that address. Failing that, many newsagents, small shops and supermarkets will have the same sim cards on sale for about £1 or less.

As for data, both Vodafone and Orange have a web PAYG bundle available of 250MB for £5 which lasts 30 days while O2 has 100MB for £3 or 500MB for £6 with free unlimited BT Openzone WiFi for the latter, again both lasting a month, although O2's 3G coverage doesn't appear to be as good as that of the other networks albeit that they also have 3G operating on 900MHz as well operating alongside 2100MHz on most sites which if your handset supports it gives better in-building coverage and slightly better 3G reception in fringe areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hi

Thanks
    u can buy a prepay sim in the uk and use that for your phone. usually the charge is for the credit pre-loaded on the sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Giff Gaff by far and away the cheapest mate

https://giffgaff.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Giff Gaff by far and away the cheapest mate

https://giffgaff.com/
    Sneaky affiliate link ;)

Main problem with giffgaff in this case is that activation can only take place on the internet, you can't phone up a helpline/call centre or just use it straight away, It will activate fairly quickly, but you do need to get access to a computer. Also while its call charges are decent and its "Goody Bags" are good, I don't think it would be worth the hassle for just over a week's stay.

Advertisement