Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-worn tyres, new vendor in Laois

• 28-04-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭

Well, I needed a complete set of tyres. I know I've praised Fitzpatrick's Tyres in Portlaoise (and rightly so) but its also worth looking at quality part-worn tyres when the budget won't stretch.

I was replacing Pace Chinese sh1t tyres that were sold to me in Portarlington by an outfit that should know better. They still had 2-3mm but were junk at new and pure and simple ditchfinders. I've done 600K miles in this model of car and never felt worse grip in my life.

So, spotted Castletown Tyre Centre on Donedeal. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/carextras/3177417 and decided at €35 a corner for 16s, to give the guy a look.

DELIGHTED I did. Got Dunlop SP1s and Continental PremiumContacts. 2 of each. At least 5mm on all. Fresh tyres too. The Dunlops are mid 2010.

Most of all, the guy, Robbie, is genuine and likeable and only getting going in the last 3 weeks in this new premises. If you're looking for good quality with low frills and low overheads, give this guy a turn. New tyres too.

I was hoping to mix this with a visit to Gash Gardens as part of the Laois Garden Trails. But they're not open til May 1st. But still, it would be a way to make the small trip to Castletown worth a family spin etc.

Hope this helps someone. I've been researching tyres over the last fortnight and am delighted with what I've got tonight. Car ride is much smoother also. There was a judder (known fault) coming through from these PACE junk.

ps I do have a connection to this business. I bought tyres from him. Other than that, no conflicts. I wish the guy very well. A good, hard worker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭alyuciao

Just been up to Castletown tyres on the strenght of the OP's recommendation and left the place as happy as could be.

Will be telling all the mates about this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Where in Portlaoise are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Where in Portlaoise are they?

They're in Castletown, not Portlaoise. I assume they're still in business. I haven't been needing tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Emo tyres provide the same service, i've dealt with them a few times and can say nothing but good things about them !

Advertisement