Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan on when pc is off, fan off when PC is on?

Options
  • 28-04-2012 8:52pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm trying to throw together an old computer.

I thought I had everything hooked up right but it won't turn on. I only have the motherboard and fans hooked up now.

When I turn on the power supply(without turning on the PC) at the mains, a PC fan turns on. No other fan turns on. If I turn on the PC that fan goes off but no other fan comes on. Nothing happens really apart from that fan going off and an orange light coming on on the mobo (nforce 650i ultra). Any ideas? The cpu fan etc are not going on at all.

Also there are two fans on the psu, both go on when power at the mains is on (strange) and when I press the power button on the pc the smaller fan goes off??!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

spec
    Antec NSK 4480 case
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (4MB L2 Cache)
    Patriot 2GB PC6400 (800MHz)
    motherboard is nForce 650i Ultra
    asus HD 5770 1gb
    oryx hercules 750w

Assume psu is terrible but I'm not sure what is going on tbh, it's very weird.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think there are supposed to be two lights on the mobo, on one side an orange one to show that the mobo is charged, and a green one on the other side. The orange one comes on fine when I turn on the computer but the other one never comes on, if I leave out the aux power on the mobo the exact same thing happens, just the orange one going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Sounds very odd indeed. The fact a fan runs when the mains are on as far as the PSU only sounds like either a PSU or MB power/polarity issue. Are there any damaged cables or cables shorting?

If you had a spare PSU you could rule that out quickly, but to be safe I would use a different PSU with the board in question, but definitely do not try the suspect PSU in a working system.

Thanks, I suppose I will have to pull a psu put of this computer or something and try it in the old one.

I know the old mobo/pc worked, I was just changing the psu and gfx card in it, to one I bought second hand. It's probably the bought psu and I'll have to bin it. I was only putting it together to sell it anyway, I want to make sure things work before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Fan pins backwards?

• Advertisement

Only seems to fit one way in the thingy, I'll try other connectors :p

Advertisement