Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Quality - Lusk

Options
  • 28-04-2012 9:22pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

I've had an issue now for about 3 or 4 years where my hands get very dry and actually end up with splits etc in the skin, very uncomfortable and been a nightmare to figure out what has been causing it even with doctor visits etc.

I've found when we go on holidays that it tends to ease and actually clear up in the 2nd week - the assumption from this was a couple of things - one being the climate (the Canary Islands) and the 2nd maybe lack of stress etc - recently though with my job I've needed to travel a fair bit to London and have had to stay a few nights, by about the 3rd day I've found my hands have improved a lot - so this rules out the stress theory and pretty much the weather theory too. Also, we were in Dingle over Easter for a week and again it cleared up after a few days.

I find the issue is at its worst after a shower in the morning and in the past had wondered if it was due to shower gels/shampoo etc but even with trying various types of sensitive, chemical free there was no improvement. Taking the above elements into consideration I can only assume it is the water here and wondered if anyone else has had this experience? The rest of my family had been ok but recently they are experiencing similar dry hand issues but not quite to the same extent as I have in terms of cracks etc. My other concern is of course if this is the water which I'm 95% sure it is, you'd have to assume drinking it can't be a great idea either.

I should probably ask some neighbours too but thought I'd throw it out here in boards to start with!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had need a few years ago to contact the FCC Water Quality Dept (actually run by DCC). The chap that I dealt with in the lab couldn't have done more for me. I'd suggest giving them a call.

To be honest, based on the info from the lab - our water is tested on a daily basis to the highest of standards. It may be that you are somewhat sensitive to trace elements in the water. What has your GP to say about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The water in London is renowned for being 'hard', that is full of lime.

You can buy special tea over there to compensate for it.

Although I suppose there could be different nasties in your water other than lime and the lime doesn't affect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, there is a thread that might be pertinent to your problem here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056548769
    Thats dublin 15, so we're both Fingal area.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I had need a few years ago to contact the FCC Water Quality Dept (actually run by DCC). The chap that I dealt with in the lab couldn't have done more for me. I'd suggest giving them a call.

To be honest, based on the info from the lab - our water is tested on a daily basis to the highest of standards. It may be that you are somewhat sensitive to trace elements in the water. What has your GP to say about it?

Yeah I was thinking about getting it tested alright, until I read the whole thread this morning linked to below!

GP said it was very tricky to determine what might be causing it, suggested creams which did little or nothing - plus I've tried every imaginable cream out there from E45 to silcocks base, the latter actually giving better results and considerably cheaper but it never actually solves the problem. I've gone through so many different things to attempt to get rid of the problem - from diet changes to cotton gloves at night with hands smothered in cream!
    The water in London is renowned for being 'hard', that is full of lime.

You can buy special tea over there to compensate for it.

Although I suppose there could be different nasties in your water other than lime and the lime doesn't affect you.

Yeah I don't know what actual element of the water could cause it but in London the issue improves - I was there last week from Monday to Friday and even by Wednesday my hands had improved significantly, when I got back even by Saturday my hands were in bits again.
    zef wrote: »
    Hi, there is a thread that might be pertinent to your problem here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056548769
    Thats dublin 15, so we're both Fingal area.

Wow! - Thanks so much for pointing that out! I did actually do a search on boards first before I posted this thread but obviously didn't use the right search terms. Amazing to read pretty much the exact same experience as I have had - funnily I had actually sent off some emails only yesterday morning to companies that supply RO systems, I think that's what I'll have to do also by the looks of it - not cheap but with the discomfort and pain I've had to endure over the last few years it would be money well spent...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Possibly the cold weather? Its been cold this week so my hands have been in a bad way. Wait til the temp rises and see if you still have sore hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭moany

Just got this mail this morning, might be of interest to you.
    http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin/EWT-Ireland/5722060?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_135&a=1220

Advertisement