Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church at cementary cross?

Options
  • 28-04-2012 10:03pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭

Is there a church in the cemetary at cemetary cross? If so does anyone know the name of it? Internet searches and google maps yield nothing!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

From memory there are two chapels one protestant and one catholic. I don't think either functions as a parish church with regular services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

What he said. Dont think they ever had names. We used to just call them 'the catholic church' and 'the protestant church'.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Do they allow weddings does anyone know?

I presume you arent serious? Are you looking for a 'BUrY ONE GET ONE FREE' deal or something?
    I think there might be logistical problems if two different types of ritual were going on at the same time.
    If you are just looking for a small chapel try the Garrison church in Renmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Both chapels are rarely used and there are slates missing from the roofs of both if I recall correctly. The protestant one in particular I do not believe has been opened in years.

Regarding holding a wedding you must always contact the parish where the church is situated to see if it is available.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Thanks for the answers guys, I have never been there and was curious. What's the name of that parish?

Its part of St Patricks parish nowadays but I think it might once have been Castlegar.

Another interesting fact: Its known as Bohermore Cemetery but its actually in Grealishtown. Bohermore only begins where the cemetery ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've been inside one of the buildings in the cemetery and not only was it a wreck but you couldn't call it a church, they may have been chapels where a body was laid out, in the past. You could fit maybe 8-10 people in them.

Bothar Mór's parish Church is St. Pats on Forster street.

Advertisement