Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small business owners! where did you learn marketing?

Options
  • 28-04-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

This question is for small business owners and entrepreneurs...

Where did you learn about marketing your business? Was it through books, courses, online, on the job etc... And how do you keep on top of the latest developments? i'm trying to learn as much as i can

Books? What books had the biggest impact on your biz? what books do you find yourself referring to over and over again?

Courses? What courses do you recommend? are they irish or abroad?

Online? What websites do you rate highly? are you subscribed to any mailing lists?

Formal education/on the job experience?

i'm trying to learn as much as i can. i appreciate as much info as you have time to give. the more specific the better!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paulac

Hiya,

I've been in business just over a year and the amount of learning I had to do for marketing was unreal! I have loads of resources I could recommend to you but to save you time could you let me know what your business does? I have a service based business and my market is the under 35's, mostly women so what worked for me may not work for you! Let me know anyway, try be as specific as possible and I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses!

Paula

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There's a lot of excellent books and resources out there that can help.

Have a look at any of the "guerilla marketing" ones and pretty much anything by Seth Godin

I probably need to do an updated version of this post :)http://www.michele.me/blog/archives/2006/02/marketing-reading-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 diarmuidkidney

Thanks for the replies guys

Paula, I don't have a business myself. A few months ago i read this blog post about how you can create a career for yourself in almost any field without formal qualifications if you go about it the right way. Ive been studying a lot of marketing and direct response copywriting. I've read hundreds of books and studied loads of courses. But right now im trying to learn about the irish small business owners perspective when it comes to marketing and where they go to learn what they need to learn for their business.

Can you tell me when exactly you realised the importance of marketing to your business? Once you realised it was important where did you go to learn what you needed to know for your specific business? And do you follow any websites/blogs to keep up with marketing changes in your industry? which ones?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

Michele, I have read almost everything by Seth Godin (all his blog archives, most of his published books, and a few of his ebooks) I've never read any of the guerrilla marketing books. but i just downloaded the guerrilla marketing handbook there. it looks good so far. it reminds me a lot of Jay Abraham's book "Getting Everything You Can Out Of All You've Got" which is a great book with so many usable ideas.

Advertisement