Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first aid course

Options
  • 28-04-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

can anyone recommend a first aid course in kk or carlow? - I did a course before but it was all theory and talk and not hands on. I don't care about certification and don't want to do a course over several days - just want someone who gets straight to the point and that has you down on the floor working on a dummy within the first hour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

mick kk wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a first aid course in kk or carlow? - I did a course before but it was all theory and talk and not hands on. I don't care about certification and don't want to do a course over several days - just want someone who gets straight to the point and that has you down on the floor working on a dummy within the first hour.

Did one with two ladies from Carlow called Child Safe First Aid- 'twas excellent and we were down working on a dummy within the hour as you said. Give them a call
    T: 0599723736
    M: 0874130374

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

mousehouse wrote: »
    Well I know Order of Malta have a first aid course coming up, but I would doubt any reputable First Aid company or organisation would have you down on the floor within an hour as you need a certain amount of theory before you get to the practical. So not sure if thats what you are looking for.

That used to be the case (though I've always got people doing practical stuff very early on) but not any more. In the internationally recognised "heartsaver" CPR/AED course, you're getting stuck in as you learn. You won't be proficient in everything within an hour. But you'll be getting practical very early on.

The educational evidence supports the "practice as you go" model of learning, and that's why the american heart association and irish heart foundation have incorporated it into their syllabus. I teach that syllabus, and people would be doing some breaths and some compressions on the dummy a good bit before the 1st hour has elapsed. it's definitely the best way to go and makes the whole thing a lot more enjoyable for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Child safe first aid

Thanks for the post. Myself and Tanya run child safe first aid and we do all sorts of first aid courses but do try and keep them as practical yet relaxed as possible.

Advertisement