Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC BB & Phone bundle pricing?

• 28-04-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

I got a call from UPC today trying to get me to change my current package, I have their 25mb BB only which costs me €35.56 plus €7.88 stand alone charge making a total of €43.44 per month. UPC called me & said if I upgrade to their 50mb BB & homephone package it will cost me €45.50,.so in for an extra €2.06 per month I can double my BB speed & also have their phone service,I told them I use Blueface for my phone service & don't want the UPC phone at all & they said I should still sign up for their 50mb+phone for €45.50pm & don't connect the phone,..one agent in the past to me to bin them if I wanted but he guy who called today didn't go that far, he just said leave the phones in the box & don't connect them to the modem & I won't incur any phone charge!...I'd like to hear what others think of this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well first off, UPC don't just give you phones, you have to buy them. They do provide the phone service without buying a phone from them though, so you don't have to take it. Next thing is the bundled prices are better value than the stand alone service, because they discount you when you take more than one service, and you don't pay the stand alone charge.

I pay €50.50 every month for 100Mbps and phone service, which is only €7 more than you pay for 25M. It definitely is better to get the phone service, even if you don't use it. Just make sure you're not paying for the handsets that you'll never use.

UPC phone comes with free national calls, so I never pay a penny for phone calls (except if I ring a mobile or international, which is rare), and I'm saving on what the 100Mbps alone would normally cost.

As to the part about not incurring any phone charge, if you don't make calls then you won't incur any charges. This seems obvious enough. However, if you take the handsets from UPC they can still charge you for those, even if you never use them. It may also be worth your while to cancel Blueface, since UPC will give you the free national calls included in the price you're already paying, where as you pay Blueface for that. I was a pre-pay Blueface user, and now I get free phone calls. Saves a little bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

@jor el, thanks for the info, interested to know what actual download speed your getting on the 100mb package? my 1st post above is an account of what took place during the 2nd call from UPC yesterday, another agent in the 1st call 10min earlier offered to leave me on BB only & upgrade it to 50mb for an extra €2 per month,.....then the 2nd agent called & said that the 1st agent made an error & said the "50mb package was NOT available at the moment waffle waffle spoof spoof " but still wanted me to sign up to the 50mb/phone package,..what total nonsense, he soon stopped spoofing when I told him I have worked in the electronics/computer sector for 30yrs,...to tell the truth I be happy if they did'nt call me at all.....Im still laughing at the fact the 2nd guy actually told me that the 50mb BB was not available!!!!... but implied it would be if I added the phone package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

1922624325.png
    Just checked this a minute ago. Ethernet connection to the modem, as you'll never get that on a Wireless connection.

Typically I'd get 70+Mbps. Never noticed anything lower than that anyway.

Advertisement