Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avoiding people

• 28-04-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

What is the most extreme thing you have done to avoid someone?

Today I was driving to the neighbouring town when I noticed a woman thumbing in the opposite direction, thought to myself that there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell I was going to give her a lift, but at the same time I couldn't just drive past her.

So on the way back home, she was still there, I ended up pulling into a housing estate, sitting there for a few minutes and then driving back into the town so that I could take the back roads home. A four mile detour just to avoid giving someone a lift.....does that make me a bad person? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Today I was driving to the neighbouring town when I noticed a woman thumbing in the opposite direction, thought to myself that there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell I was going to give her a lift, but at the same time I couldn't just drive past her.

So on the way back home, she was still there, I ended up pulling into a housing estate, sitting there for a few minutes and then driving back into the town so that I could take the back roads home. A four mile detour just to avoid giving someone a lift.....does that make me a bad person? :eek:

No, you're a charmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

She could have offered you 6 minute abs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Probably a short detour on my way home from school. But that would be to avoid people I would more than likely get abuse from if I walked by, and only when they're in groups. People like that become awfully quiet when on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I spent half of one college year avoiding a tutor because I never went to his classes owing to a mutual hatred. His office was in the middle of the first floor corridor, and I'd very frequently be in rooms at either end of it so I used have to go to up to the second floor to walk from one end of the building to the other and back down to the first floor again just to avoid passing his office. The man was terrifying and loved taking any opportunity to humiliate a student. Could not face the chance of meeting him at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

benwavner wrote: »
    She could have offered you 6 minute abs!

Well in fairness, she's a lady of the night so she could have offered me much more :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

wait I don't get it, why couldn't you have just driven past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

I ended up in Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Well in fairness, she's a lady of the night so she could have offered me much more :o

So eh... just curious... what town? what road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

But you had internal conflict whether to stop to do the dirty with her or not....

Thats the real story here;)

Addictions can be hard, but with the right support you can do it (or not:p)

Sex addict helpline number: 0891 tigerwoods:p

Pm sent;):D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

number10a wrote: »
    I spent half of one college year avoiding a tutor because I never went to his classes owing to a mutual hatred. His office was in the middle of the first floor corridor, and I'd very frequently be in rooms at either end of it so I used have to go to up to the second floor to walk from one end of the building to the other and back down to the first floor again just to avoid passing his office. The man was terrifying and loved taking any opportunity to humiliate a student. Could not face the chance of meeting him at all!

are you a character in a game by any chance, sounds like something from streets of rage or doubledragon or something
    did you collect any 'coins' on the secret way past

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

We don't bother answering our door sometimes. We just can't be arsed and i don't like people knocking on my door, i get a bit on edge or anxious when i hear that knock.

I didn't like one of my teachers in secondary school.

I went to two of her classes at the start of the year, she bullied me.

I never went to school on days I had her class ever again. Twas quite the feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Did you know the woman or something? I'd drive past a stranger looking for a lift no problem, I'm not a fucking taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

IM0 wrote: »
    are you a character in a game by any chance, sounds like something from streets of rage or doubledragon or something
    did you collect any 'coins' on the secret way past

Those are two games that are exactly not like what he described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ah op I couldn't do that! sur only this week when it was raining I saw this elderly lady I didn't even know standing outside a nearby dentist waiting for her lift. I asked if she wanted to sit in to my car out of the rain while she waited. She did and I was happy that I stopped tbh.

All I could think of was what if that elderly lady was someone related to me and was waiting in the rain for me to collect them but for some reason I ended up being delayed elsewhere :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For my sanity, I moved country for a while to avoid someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I hate hitch hikers. Get the bus ye louts. I saw a lad thumbing for a lift in the pissing rain last week, gave him the two fingered salute as I flew past in my nice warm car :pac:

she's known for making false accusations about people so there wasn't a hope of me lifting her.

And she would bend the ear of you talking sh!te and whining :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Biggins wrote: »
    You're joking seriously Biggins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We don't bother answering our door sometimes. We just can't be arsed and i don't like people knocking on my door, i get a bit on edge or anxious when i hear that knock.

It's ok,those people knocking aren't always the license inspectors or the Gardai.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    It's ok,those people knocking aren't always the license inspectors or the Gardai.

No, usually they are much worse......politicians canvassing for votes :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

she's known for making false accusations about people so there wasn't a hope of me lifting her.

And she would bend the ear of you talking sh!te and whining :mad:

Well then, No way I would have stopped, I would have made sure I drove through the puddle in front of her and laughed all the way home in my car, on my own.....might turn the radio up and roll down the window:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I moved country and became a hermit I think I'll be ready to repair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I was in shop a few weeks ago & saw a guy who I used to work with. He's an insufferable bore & every time I meet him, he waffles on for at least 10 minutes about the most anal details of his life.

So, I pretended to be on the phone to avoid any more than just a polite nod in his direction to say 'hello'.

Was a bit embarassed though - when mid fake conversation - my phone rang. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

MadYaker wrote: »
    I hate hitch hikers. Get the bus ye louts. I saw a lad thumbing for a lift in the pissing rain last week, gave him the two fingered salute as I flew past in my nice warm car :pac:

Wow, what a douche.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

MadYaker wrote: »

What if there is no bus service around though, are they still louts?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Hmmmm...I can't recall any times I had to avoid people.

I can however recall many occasions where people have tried hard to avoid me.

For me the older I get the more I avoid people. Some friends lives have changed as has mine but I feel like there's not much I have in common with them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I can be rude when I want. I don't have too much guilt about it but I'm never mean to anyone. If I'm ignorant it's directed at a fairly ignorant person. There are always a few no matter where I go or what I do.

• Advertisement

KKkitty wrote: »

Quite serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Thumb ****!!

Quite serious.

Was it Yemen you moved to by any chance?

:confused:

England, USA and Japan.

:confused:

England, USA and Japan.
    Chandler in Friends said he was moving to Yemen to get away from Janice. What did this person do that you had to avoid them to that extent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1 Yemen Road................Yemen.

• Advertisement

Chandler in Friends said he was moving to Yemen to get away from Janice. What did this person do that you had to avoid them to that extent?

Unfaithful ex-wife.
    Apologies for me being spare with details.
    She has a child now by someone else so least said, I think the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Mutual avoidances, all 'round

who started this avoidance ball rolling I am left to wonder

Advertisement