Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser to pay a UK transaction

Options
  • 28-04-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Can I use my laser/ maestro card in the uk as a debit card? I need to pay something over the phone , will it work?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think the comments above have already explained the situation.

Visa Debit is gradually replacing Laser so as to facilitate international transactions.

If in doubt contact your bank before travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As per the forum charter, please don't pull up ancient threads.

The simple answer is that there is no simple answer. It will depend on how the merchant is set up. Even if they accept Maestro UK, it doesn't mean they can accept Laser/Maestro cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No. Ireland use Laser/Maestro, UK uses Switch/Maestro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Your Laser card won't work outside of RoI for debit purchases. It will work in an ATM depending on what network e.g. Maestro your bank is aligned to. Most national debit card systems don't work outside of their home country.

Laser seems to becoming a defunct brand. Ulster Bank don't issue them anymore and use Visa Debit instead. These work in most places that have the Visa symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BrianD wrote: »
    Your Laser card won't work outside of RoI for debit purchases.
    AIB Laser Maestro card worked for me in the UK, France, and Amsterdam, in both ATMs, and in the machines in the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

OP... it won't work over the phone or online (unless they explicitly say they accept laser).

It WILL work in ATM or at shop points if sale, as long as they - and your card - display the Cirrus / Maestro logo.

Advertisement