Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Dublin on a Sunday...

Options
  • 28-04-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all!
    I've done a quick search and haven't found anything...Can you help me please?

I'm coming to Dublin with my teen daughters from the sticks early on Sunday the 6th of May to vote in the French elections (Getting rid of Sarkozy hopefully! ;)). I'll arrive in the center of town. How can I get quickly by bus to Ailesbury Road?

I want to spend the day then doing some 'tourism', taking in as much as possible, within the center of town.
    We've previously seen and loved the Archeological Museum, and Trinity College (Library, Book of Kells).

A friend mentioned the Hugh Lane Gallery, and I saw there are Sunday@noon concerts, which we would enjoy I'd say. Is the Gallery worth the walk up to Parnell Square?

After that, where should we go, what should we see?
    We like Art, Music, Literature, History and Architecture, as well as gardens (depending on weather!)
    I can't spend too much, the Writers' Museum seems a little pricy, is it worth it?

Where is the best to do some window-shopping in a nice period building if possible?
    Also, which is the nicest most relaxed Music shop? And second-hand bookshop?
    Any recommendations for a nice restaurant in the center of town?
    Sorry for the amount of questions, but it gives you an opportunity to show off your city, guys!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Buses 4, 7 or 47 will take you out to the junction of Merrion Road and Ailesbury Road from Nassau Street (the 4 and 7 also stop on O'Connell Bridge and on Grafton Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Shopping/browsing; Wesbury Mall, Powerscourt Town Centre, Georges Street Arcade, Grafton Street & Exchequer Street.
    Music Shop; Tower Records on South William Street, just off Grafton Street. It also has a lovely coffee shop upstairs which is well worth visiting.

Might be worth checking out Dublinbikes, if you sign up in advance for you and your girls, it'll get you around the city a lot easier. Think you can also pay by credit card on the day at some of the stations. All the info is on their website.

Bookshops: The Winding Stair secondhand bookstore on the Quays - great restaurant upstairs also. Some secondhand bookstalls in the Georges Street Arcade. Oxfam have a second-hand book store on Parliament Street.

Regarding a restaurant, what sort of food are you looking for? Price rsnge?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DubRos

Best of luck on getting rid of Sarkozy. After the bus out and back to Ailesbury road your best option to see Dublin is on foot. Hugh Lane is worth a visit and on nearby Parnell St there is Chapters bookshop with a large second hand section upstairs, and it's only a short walk from the centre of town about 10 mins.

On the way back towards the southside, on Ormond Quay, there is The Winding Stair bookshop. the food here is meant to be good, but haven't been in a while.

Onwards to Grafton Street, drop in to Trinity for a look and wander. Off Grafton St there is the Powerscourt centre, refurbished building, window shopping, lunch area, nice vibe.

If you continue up Grafton St you get to St Stephens Green, nice park but very busy. Continue along to Harcourt Street and off to the left there is the Iveagh Gardens, Excellent park, well kept and a bit of a hidden treasure.

Oops, lots of double info. spent too much time on the post.

Lots of places for a quick bite along the way, stay on foot it's the best way to see the city, and hope for nice weather it really makes a difference to the Dublin vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Another thumbs up for Chapter's Bookshop. Make sure not to miss it!

You might want to consider a visit to the Chester Beatty Library open 1-5 on Sunday's.
    http://www.cbl.ie/Exhibitions/Permanent-Exhibitions.aspx

Also nearby is the National Photographic Archive in Temple Bar. You only need 10/15 mins to see the exhibition in there.
    http://www.nli.ie/en/national-photographic-archive.aspx

If you like vegetarian food you might want to drop into Cornucopia. can get very busy though. If it's busy yu can order your food and they will give you a number for your table.
    http://www.cornucopia.ie/

Not familiar with buses to Ailsbury RD so hopefully somebody will come on and give you advise on the buses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Thanks a lot guys, I knew you'd come up trump!
    Yes, I've heard of the Iveagh gardens, might stroll up all right. Are they always open? I've done the Trinity thing, and know Stephen Green well.
    That's a great list of bookshops there.
    About music shops, any instrument music shop? My girls love trying out pianos and dreaming about Korgs etc! ;)
    As for Food, we like good authentic Ethnic (Chinese noodles or real Indian) or Salads etc, and Vegetarian. All under 50€ for the three of us if possible for a light dinner.
    Is Powerscourt Centre the place with a vegetarian restaurant on top, fairly near Meadows and Byrne? And I think there's an Instrument shop near...Am I right?
    Thanks again!

• Advertisement

"You might want to consider a visit to the Chester Beatty Library open 1-5 on Sunday's." Oooh thanks a lot for that idea, it looks exactly like our cup of tea! By the way, the Silk Road Cafe looks lovely there, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Silk Road Cafe very nice indeed! Check out their website; http://www.silkroadcafe.ie/. Could be perfect for your light dinner. I like Mao's on Chatham Street, they do an early bird which could get it into your price range.

Re music instrument shops, there are a few on Exchequer Street, not sure if they have pianos though?

Came across this website recently, posted a thread on it, well worth a look; www.dublintown.ie

Not quite sure where you think Powerscourt is from your description?? Its parallel to Grafton Street heading towards Georges Street. If you walk down the lane at the side of Bewleys on Grafton Street you'll meet one of the entrances to it. Meadows & Byrne is not in the city centre as far as I know, there was one in CHQ, IFSC, but it closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As for Food, we like good authentic Ethnic (Chinese noodles or real Indian) or Salads etc, and Vegetarian. All under 50€ for the three of us if possible for a light dinner.

You're gonna have to head Northside for the Authentic ethnic stuff. Parnell st.'s The Hopp House (korean and Japanese) gets rave reviews. Haven't been there myself to be honest, but the prices look great and anyone I know has liked it. Not to everyones taste, but L&M is an authentic Chinese just off O'Connell st. on Cathedral st. Very reasonable with non-Europeanised Chinese food. KOH in the Italian quarter do great salads and ethnic main courses for really really good prices, nice and "grown up" the kids will love it and the staff are really really good. If you want to stay South and get some reasonably priced ethnic stuff you can't beat Monty's of Kathmandu. Great food and you might come in under budget if you stick to the veggie options!

http://www.montys.ie/
    http://www.koh.ie/
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/hq/its-the-real-deal-m-and-l-szechuan-chinese-restaurant-1907957.html
    http://www.hophouse.ie/findus.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Twenty10 wrote: »
    Shopping/browsing; Wesbury Mall, Powerscourt Town Centre, Georges Street Arcade, Grafton Street & Exchequer Street.
    Music Shop; Tower Records on South William Street, just off Grafton Street. It also has a lovely coffee shop upstairs which is well worth visiting.

Might be worth checking out Dublinbikes, if you sign up in advance for you and your girls, it'll get you around the city a lot easier. Think you can also pay by credit card on the day at some of the stations. All the info is on their website.

Bookshops: The Winding Stair secondhand bookstore on the Quays - great restaurant upstairs also. Some secondhand bookstalls in the Georges Street Arcade. Oxfam have a second-hand book store on Parliament Street.

Regarding a restaurant, what sort of food are you looking for? Price rsnge?

a very 'one sided' post if you know what i mean

op, henry street and surrounding streets are very good for shoppoing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

op, henry street and surrounding streets are very good for shoppoing

And often better value, but in fairness the OP asked for window shopping in a period building.

OP, I see you wanted to have a mooch in a musical instrument shop, I'm no musician, but www.mcculloughpigott.com is pretty well known. I'd say the people on here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=125 will direct you towards the more user friendly shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Waltons on georges st is a musical instrument shop. Just north of it is Diwali, a n excellent Indian restaurant. Yamamori is close by too. If you venture outside then there is an instrument shop on liffey st and you could window shop in Arnotts. I've heard good things about the cafe there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

stinkle wrote: »
    Waltons on georges st is a musical instrument shop. Just north of it is Diwali, a n excellent Indian restaurant. Yamamori is close by too. If you venture outside then there isan instrument shop on liffey st and you could window shop in Arnotts. I've heard good things about the cafe there

I second Diwali, great food and very good value. It's actually Nepalese rather than Indian though, not a big difference but some different food your typical Indian.

The Cedar Tree on nearby Exchequer Street does fantastic Lebanese food if that's your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

I've eaten in the Hopp House and it is lovely food, very authentic and quite a wide range of food available if you ask for the full menu.

If you like History and Gardens (and if the weather is good) Glasnevin Cemetary and its new museum is well worth the look. Just a little bit further out than City Centre but plenty of buses go out past it

Ok....Thanks!
    So actually, we are going to arrive in Dublin around twelve. Have lunch somewhere in the center (Diwali or the Cedar Tree, I think), then hit the National Gallery for two, then hang around in the Powerscourt, gardens, Grafton Street ect...Maybe see Walton's.
    Then take a bus from Nassau Street to Ailesbury Road to go to vote around five. The voting is open until six.
    Back to take our bus home at seven to get the election results on the coach Wi-Fi!!!!
    How does that sound?
    How long should it take on a Sunday from Nassau Street to the Embassy by bus? Any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

How long should it take on a Sunday from Nassau Street to the Embassy by bus? Any idea?

Under ten minutes. Its a nice 20-25 minute walk.....

Id recommend this place for lunch; http://www.mongolianbbq.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

not long at all, it's a straight route to Ballsbridge and on a quiet Sunday the bus should fly out. I've not been out that way in a long time so other posters feel free to put me right, but I'd guess about ten mins if traffic's clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

then hit the National Gallery for two, then hang around in the Powerscourt, gardens, Grafton Street ect...Maybe see Walton's.
    Then take a bus from Nassau Street to Ailesbury Road to go to vote around five.

If you finish lunch at 2pm and leave for the Embassy at 5pm, that leaves you three hours to sight see. That is not a lot of time to do The National Gallery, the Grafton St area, Iveagh Gardens, Waltons & Powerscourt TownHouse. I'd do two out of the five, not all five, not unless you want to rush from one to the other, and only have 30 mins in each one.

You can spend a whole day in the National Gallery if you have a mind to. I'd vote for that & the Powerscourt TownHouse, with a stroll up Grafton St to soak up the Grafton St vibe, and see the buskers and street performers. If you do go to Powerscourt, check out the antique galleries on the second floor, especially the ones that specialize in old jewelry. Even if you aren't going to buy anything, its is great spot for window shopping of the "when I win the lottery" kind.

Under 10 mins on the bus. Unless there is something on at the Avivia Stadium or the RDS that might slow down traffic, but I don't think that there is. However, it is a Sunday. Buses won't run all that frequently, either from town, or back to town once you are done voting. If you don't see a bus coming straight away, jump in a taxi. There is a taxi rank at the bottom of Grafton St. Ballsbridge is only a coupe of miles away. The fare will be under a tenner, and as you'll probably spend 4-5 quid on bus fare for the lot of you, it's not a massive difference cost wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm coming to Dublin with my teen daughters from the sticks early on Sunday the 6th of May to vote in the French elections (Getting rid of Sarkozy hopefully! ;)!
    Look like you got your wish! :)

Advertisement