Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Other than alcohol, what makes you drunk on a night out?

• 29-04-2012 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I'm just in from a night in a loud bar. I was driving so didn't drink. The place was fairly lively, loud music, people dancing, and we all had a good time...

Now, as I left to walk back to my car my ears were ringing, and I was experiencing some sort of 'buzz'.... My ears are still ringing now but apart from that I feel 'normal' again.

So I'm wondering if the environment you're in contributes to how alcohol effects you when you do drink.

What do you think??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

ribena

When the air hits ya as you leave. Many, many nights end in my mind at the bottom of a set of stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It seems you are confusing loud noises with intoxication

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

WTF are you talking about OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Closing my eyes for longer than 3 seconds when drunk really f*cks me up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Spinning round in circles on the dancefloor makes me feel drunk for a while, just like when I was kid, free and fun.

In fact, I'm doing it right now while i'm typign this now, god im so drunk llool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

It seems you are confusing loud noises with intoxication

he has a point though. it does make a difference when you leave a dark, loud, people moving in all directions and go outside to the fresh air its like being less drunk again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

You may have been experiencing a mild case of euphoria?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

This is going to sound crazy, but I don't drink alcohol. So when I am out I just drink water because I don't want to queue up for a soft drink and in a club you can normally just ask someone to throw a water onto their order.

So on a night out, I might have six glasses of water, and I feel very hydrated and as a result I tend to dance. This releases endorphins and combined that with the contact high I get from being with drunk people I often feel very drunk on a night out.

I also smoke, so I sometimes wake up the next day with a really bad hangover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Sweet jaysus, OP just go to bed, thanks night.

Title "Other than alcohol, what makes you drunk on a night out"

ffs Op ffs, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Well, perhaps I'm getting old, but I was drunk with joy just watching Gorillas in the Mist tonight.

Which was kinda weird, as when I came in from Copper Face Jacks, the movie Gorillas In The Mist was on TV tonight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Baaaaand on the run, band on the run.....eugh.:)

JETT!! WOO Sergeant major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,305 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rhohypnol, but..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Did you leave out a ..t.. there?:p

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Without a shadow of a doubt, if i drink 8 pints in my house i won't feel nearly the same effects as if i had just 4 in pubs. I don't know what it is! The ideal amount of jars to have in a pub is two because you have that buzz. I know what your on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Other than alcohol, what makes you pose questions like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm just in from a night in a loud bar. I was driving so didn't drink. The place was fairly lively, loud music, people dancing, and we all had a good time...

Now, as I left to walk back to my car my ears were ringing, and I was experiencing some sort of 'buzz'.... My ears are still ringing now but apart from that I feel 'normal' again.

So I'm wondering if the environment you're in contributes to how alcohol effects you when you do drink.

What do you think??

They've tested this out, and yeah, being in a "drunk" atmosphere or drinking non-alcoholic drinks with an expectation of intoxication has pretty much exactly the same effect. Sympathetic behaviour and placebo effect at work. It's interesting. Worth bearing in mind if you're out for the night, try it out. Switch to the water every other pint and save yourself a few bob, and you'll still feel pretty much exactly as drunk by the end of the night as you would otherwise.

Another interesting booze related thing is that drunken behaviour is different in one country compared to how it is in others, depending on what the stereotype is there. So a French person given the exact same amount of alcohol as a Irish person will be affected differently and behave differently, because their expectations of what the drink will do to them are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Other than alcohol, what makes you pose questions like this

An inquiring mind?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Is it not enough you won the evening without you bragging about it on the intertube?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Generally, doing a double drop of hash, smoking some MDMA, and injecting coke seems to give me the above-average kick for the night.

Though the scag will make you feel like a couple of bad fortnights in a balloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

teh barmans fart

I've said the same thing before OP, I get into the car and I feel a little merry, I've wondered is it because I've had about four diet cokes and I'm getting a caffeine high but I think it is the environment. Definitely know what you're talking about though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

Wine gums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

What do you think??
    I think the lads have been firing a dash of vodka in your drink everytime you go to the jax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Ed Sheerans song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

IrishAm wrote: »
    You may have been experiencing a mild case of euphoria?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria

N'ah, I doubt it..... it wasn't that good a night!
    They've tested this out, and yeah, being in a "drunk" atmosphere or drinking non-alcoholic drinks with an expectation of intoxication has pretty much exactly the same effect. Sympathetic behaviour and placebo effect at work. It's interesting. Worth bearing in mind if you're out for the night, try it out. Switch to the water every other pint and save yourself a few bob, and you'll still feel pretty much exactly as drunk by the end of the night as you would otherwise.

Another interesting booze related thing is that drunken behaviour is different in one country compared to how it is in others, depending on what the stereotype is there. So a French person given the exact same amount of alcohol as a Irish person will be affected differently and behave differently, because their expectations of what the drink will do to them are different.
    I've said the same thing before OP, I get into the car and I feel a little merry, I've wondered is it because I've had about four diet cokes and I'm getting a caffeine high but I think it is the environment. Definitely know what you're talking about though.

That's what I was getting at! At least I'm not going mad... and others have heard about/experienced this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

What do you think??
    Absolutely. My mates an I were only discussing this recently. We'd been out on a pub session a few weeks before and got through a fair go o pitchers between us, taking in about 9 or ten pints each on average. We were absolutely locked. Fast forward to the weekend after and we were sitting in with cans, had about 8 each, we were barely off baseline. Same seems to apply tyo smaller amounts of drink. If I have four cans watching the game at home I'd may as well have been sipping on water for all my consciousness would be altered. 4 pints out before the club and I'd be buzzing and getting a bit silly.

I find it quite surprising as I would have considered alcohol to be primarily a physiological thing unlike, say, trips, where your surroundings play a vital role in the experience.

Advertisement