Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming in QLD

Options
  • 29-04-2012 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hey guys,

3 and a half weeks into our regional work on a farm in Clermont in QLD. They have over 2000 cattle and acres of cultivation land. So we have been doing everything from dipping cows to driving tractors to mixing fertiliser to fencing to driving quads, I've bogged one, The list goes on!! We are out in the absolute back end of no where which is a big culture shock and it is taking some adjusting. I was nearly throwing the towel in mid way through the second week, without my boyfriend I don't know how I'd survive!!
    We work from 7-5 Mon-Fri and weekends if we're needed live in a house provided on the farm free of charge and free meat and we get 120 dollars a day. We don't spend much considering our location. It is tough going and it is no walk in the park. We'll be here 4 weeks on Wednesday and I'm already wishing week 12 was here!!
    We had to change mobile networks to Telstra as they are the only provider that work out here. We also bought a mobile wifi device so we have some contact with the outside world :)!
    So we're off today as it rained heavy enough on Friday so planting has been put on hold. We went to Emerald for a drive yesterday but find myself bored silly today with nothing to do hence me writing this :)
    So, what's everyone else's experience with their regional work? Money, location, work etc?

L :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hplp

hey,

Im on a sheep farm down in Vic. Its not quite as remote as yours sound to be. Im only 10km from the nearest town, 40 from a larger town and 150km from Melbourne. Im paid $20 per hour and get a house included. There is a farm ute there that was offered for local trips but I dont use it that much as I have my own car. Otherwise, doing what looks to be the same sort of things as you. The hours have been 7.30 to 5.30 with an hour at lunch unpaid.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

How did you go about finding work on the farm? Is there a certain website to use? Im looking to find something around the $20/hr mark and I wouldnt mind the long days. It sounds like it would give me a chance to save some $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

mac123 wrote: »
    How did you go about finding work on the farm? Is there a certain website to use? Im looking to find something around the $20/hr mark and I wouldnt mind the long days. It sounds like it would give me a chance to save some $$$

We places an ad on Gumtree and we got a few job offers off farmers and went with the one that suited us best.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

I worked about 60kms from clermont loved the little town :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Me and the GF arrived in the Margaret River last week. Hostel is a bit of a kip, and seeing as we've just come from 5 star hotels in Bali its a bit of a shock!

The pruning season doesn't start for another 2 weeks as well so we'll be twiddling our thumbs until then!

The weather is woeful as well... so all in all this regional work thing is a load of balls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

I worked about 60kms from clermont loved the little town :-)

Really?! But there's nothing to do in there haha!! We go into The Commercial for our dinner the odd time and the food is great in there but that's all we find enjoyable about the place :P

Marky Mark the regional work is tough, well atleast I've found it tough on certain days, and I pity ye in the hostel! We have our own house where we are based.. As you probably read, I wrote up this thread in week 3 of our work and well now we just have 3 weeks left!!

This has been a great experience.. I've had a good days and bad days and I really can't wait to make our way to Brisbane in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

lippy11 wrote: »
    Really?! But there's nothing to do in there haha!! We go into The Commercial for our dinner the odd time and the food is great in there but that's all we find enjoyable about the place :P

Marky Mark the regional work is tough, well atleast I've found it tough on certain days, and I pity ye in the hostel! We have our own house where we are based.. As you probably read, I wrote up this thread in week 3 of our work and well now we just have 3 weeks left!!

This has been a great experience.. I've had a good days and bad days and I really can't wait to make our way to Brisbane in a few weeks :)

I sent you a pm there, just have a few questions...

Advertisement