Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MW3 F2P Weekend

Options
  • 29-04-2012 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,341 ✭✭✭✭

If you care.

I played for 5 minutes, and I am done. Match was ruined by a wallhacker and some very large rifle which didn't seem to mind firing through brick. Thats $40 I saved myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'll only try it if it's "pay me to play"

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

KilOit wrote: »
    I'll only try it if it's "pay me to play"

I'm calling bullsh*t on you!

I'd say if someone puts up the money you'll still refuse!:) Ya know its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Yeah, I played black ops when it was f2p and if mw3 is anything like it (which it probably is) then its not worth your time to download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    If you care.

I played for 5 minutes, and I am done. Match was ruined by a wallhacker and some very large rifle which didn't seem to mind firing through brick. Thats $40 I saved myself.
    The Barrett .50 Cal? Pretty sure that could penetrate brick. :)

Was going to give it a shot alright but between my crushing level of apathy towards the series in general and chunky download in a weekend of XBL release catchups, I decided to give it a miss.

Would be interested to see if anyone went out and bought it after playing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

There was one of these a few months back aswell.Spent all day friday and saturday downloading it.It came to sunday to play it and the first 3 games I got into were full of hackers.Uninstalled it straight away. Worst use of bandwidth ever...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The series gets worse with every release, truely awful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I played it for a bit. It is a very very bad game. You think black ops spawn spots were bad? Well you haven't played mw3 then. It is done on purpose to spawn someone just behind you or to the sides. FOV of 60 makes it decking horrible!!! 90% of the time you get shot in the side or arse!
    Community is tiny on pc too. Mostly dicks too. Then you get peer 2 peer on top of that... Winners are not the ones who good, but the ones who got best connection.

I am correct in assuming that dedicated servers are still limited to unranked matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

If you care.

Exact same thing happened me, gave up after around a half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Played COD4, still do. Love it. Refuse to touch anything after it(played a tiny bit of 5 on 360, shocking).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Chavways wrote: »
    There was one of these a few months back aswell.Spent all day friday and saturday downloading it.It came to sunday to play it and the first 3 games I got into were full of hackers.Uninstalled it straight away. Worst use of bandwidth ever...

Yeah, wouldn't waste the bandwidth trying it. I'd played all of them from CoD2 until Black Ops. It's now a very tired forumla. Battlefield 3 ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Fast internet speed was my only reason for trying this though like most on here I wish I hadn't. Haven't played the series since MW2 and nothing has changed... still really hate the P2P server system.

Spent 20mins playing this (after spending 10mins trying to connect), quickly uninstalled it and went back to playing BF3!

I wonder will Black Ops 2 be more of the same sh!te?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

It's good to know people on here aren't biased and are judging the game purely on its' own merits.

Played it for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. I came across a total of three wallhackers alright but just left the game and joined a different one and avoided them for the most part. It was a free weekend though and of course this type of event will attract those types of players but playing it for 10 minutes and then rage quitting because of one player seems a bit reactionary.

Possibly the best thing about playing it during the weekend was that there was practically no waiting time when you first tried to join any game, hardcore or otherwise, something that I had never experienced before. I doubt that regular game play outside of these weekends is like that though but if it was I would be happy to buy it.

I would actually consider buying it after what I played this weekend, but while it remains at around €60, I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,341 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

farna_boy wrote: »
    It's good to know people on here aren't biased and are judging the game purely on its' own merits.

Played it for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. I came across a total of three wallhackers alright but just left the game and joined a different one and avoided them for the most part. It was a free weekend though and of course this type of event will attract those types of players but playing it for 10 minutes and then rage quitting because of one player seems a bit reactionary.

Possibly the best thing about playing it during the weekend was that there was practically no waiting time when you first tried to join any game, hardcore or otherwise, something that I had never experienced before. I doubt that regular game play outside of these weekends is like that though but if it was I would be happy to buy it.

I would actually consider buying it after what I played this weekend, but while it remains at around €60, I'm not so sure.
    Sorry, but in 5 minutes I had a wallhacker and a huge latency spike, followed by the entire game freezing like The Matrix while the whole server migrated to a new P2P host. That told me everything I needed to about the game and where I was going to spend my money. The rest of the games merits are fairly inconsequential if its going to be plagued with those types of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Don't mean to cause a fanboy war here or anything but in 10 minutes of MW3 I encountered more hackers than I have in 120 hours of BF3.And if the whole point of the F2P weekend was to attract buyers is it not a very bad example to show to potential customers that your game is partially broken with hackers?

And to dillute that possible flamewar: I can say the same for Monday Night Combat and TF2. Oh god, the hours I've logged in TF2. You know how many hackers I've seen in 350.1 hours of TF2? zero. And that **** is free for life now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

If you care.

Sorry, but in 5 minutes I had a wallhacker and a huge latency spike, followed by the entire game freezing like The Matrix while the whole server migrated to a new P2P host. That told me everything I needed to about the game and where I was going to spend my money. The rest of the games merits are fairly inconsequential if its going to be plagued with those types of issues.

In your OP you only mentioned the wallhacker, when someone said the game was not so bad(apart from the price) you counter this with a whole new spiel.
    Why didn't you mention ALL the problems you encountered in the OP.
    Is there anything else wrong with the game you'd like to add before someone else says something positive about the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

F1ngers wrote: »
    In your OP you only mentioned the wallhacker, when someone said the game was not so bad(apart from the price) you counter this with a whole new spiel.
    Is there anything else wrong with the game you'd like to add before someone else says something positive about the game?

Not to answer on behalf of Overheal, but I found the game to be extremely frustrating.

The maps encourage camping imo, the spawn points as pointed out are terrible. Hackers etc.

That is just my opinion btw. I enjoyed Black ops online. I put a lot of hours into it. Same with COD 4 but I hated MW3. Went back and stuck with BF3 after.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Black ops was a much more enjoyable game with much more balanced line of gun's with only 1 or 2 standouts, where as MW2+3 are unplayable unbalanced messes. Hope BO2 sticks to trayarc's way of making their games. Much better.

F1ngers wrote: »
    I didn't realize this was a kangaroo court of public opinion. I was more pissed off about the wallhacker, when someone else mentioned the P2P hosting, thats when I chose to mention it. Is that alright, your honor?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I didn't realize this was a kangaroo court of public opinion. I was more pissed off about the wallhacker, when someone else mentioned the P2P hosting, thats when I chose to mention it. Is that alright, your honor?

No kangaroo court here. M'lud...:confused:
    You spent 5 mins in a game and got pee'd off by a "wallhacker" yet forget to mention other "gamebreakers".
    I'm just wondering why you didn't mention them earlier..
    Don't care either way, just thought it strange to offer a partial critique.

Well for your pleasure I do play games with P2P like Space Marine, and you know what though they never bothered me in the first 5 minutes. Neither did hackers. So I was a little more peed off by the hacker. As I said. Anything else?

Well for your pleasure I do play games with P2P like Space Marine, and you know what though they never bothered me in the first 5 minutes. Neither did hackers. So I was a little more peed off by the hacker. As I said. Anything else?
    Its a F2P weekend which is why there was an increase in hackers, just make a new account hack, get banned, repeat. The disconnects are annoying and I think there should be a leaver status that makes people less likely to host.

Hawke wrote: »
    Its a F2P weekend which is why there was an increase in hackers, just make a new account hack, get banned, repeat. The disconnects are annoying and I think there should be a leaver status that makes people less likely to host.
    F2P hasn't increased hacker activity in my other F2P games..

F2P hasn't increased hacker activity in my other F2P games..
    What games would those be? Some games are much harder to hack in, ones that use a lot of server side code.

What games would those be? Some games are much harder to hack in, ones that use a lot of server side code.
    As I mentioned earlier, I play a lot of TF2 and MNC. In over 300 hours of TF2, in 4 years, I've never seen a hacker. Least of all, a hacker that was online long enough to cause anyone grief.

As I mentioned earlier, I play a lot of TF2 and MNC. In over 300 hours of TF2, in 4 years, I've never seen a hacker. Least of all, a hacker that was online long enough to cause anyone grief.
    TF2 has pretty good VAC protection compared to MW3 and has much more up to date detections for newly released hacks. IW does not care about the hacks for MW3. Super MNC is pretty new for widely avaiable hacks that work and MNC is not F2P if I recall correctly.

TF2 has pretty good VAC protection compared to MW3 and has much more up to date detections for newly released hacks. IW does not care about the hacks for MW3. Super MNC is pretty new for widely avaiable hacks that work and MNC is not F2P if I recall correctly.
    So what you're saying is TF2 despite being about 5 years old has more up to date detection methods than a game released last holiday season. Something that when it came out was part of a pretty awesome bundle box, and by itself only cost $20, and last year became free as air. And is staffed by at most, about 20 valve employees. If that. Versus CoD, a game which by all accounts is supposed to be some great masterclass of gaming that wants people to buy in for not only $60 regularly but has been mulling the idea of an "elite" subscription package, for people who can't get enough of being shot through walls.

Proves my point. Not spending my money on CoD.

So what you're saying is TF2 despite being about 5 years old has more up to date detection methods than a game released last holiday season. Something that when it came out was part of a pretty awesome bundle box, and by itself only cost $20, and last year became free as air. And is staffed by at most, about 20 valve employees. If that. Versus CoD, a game which by all accounts is supposed to be some great masterclass of gaming that wants people to buy in for not only $60 regularly but has been mulling the idea of an "elite" subscription package, for people who can't get enough of being shot through walls.

Proves my point. Not spending my money on CoD.
    Uhh... I was never trying to defend COD and say it is better than TF2, all I was saying is there is of course going to be hackers on a weekend like this. Credit to the TF2 team for keep it hacker free, IW doesn't care because they just want to make more maps for more money.

• Advertisement

Actually TF2 utilises VAC which is maintained by a completely separate and dedicated team from the core TF2 dev guys so the comparison isn't entirely accurate. Also, it is most certainly not bulletproof (pardon the pun), especially in the realm of wallhacks. :)

As for Elite, well that's already out and has a paid subscriber base of over 1.5m people. A rather depressing number imo. :o

Advertisement