Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MW3 F2P Weekend

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hawke wrote: »
    TF2 has pretty good VAC protection compared to MW3 and has much more up to date detections for newly released hacks. IW does not care about the hacks for MW3. Super MNC is pretty new for widely avaiable hacks that work and MNC is not F2P if I recall correctly.

Well, that's not a great sign to be honest. And in itself is enough not to buy MW3 from a free weekend where you get exposed to that reality. Anyways, Black Ops 2 will be out soon so no need to drop practically full price on a game that's going to be redundant.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 83,341 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Which is that other thing, they keep putting out a new $60 title every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    Which is that other thing, they keep putting out a new $60 title every year.
    Can't really blame them when close to 30m people go out and buy it every year though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I regret not getting a chance to play this for the F2P, I just had a **** load of other stuff to download at the time

I wanted to see was it as bad as the ps3 version.

Its a pity the series has gone down hill so much in recent times. When your using the same engine which is like what 7 years old now, its pretty bad. Unfortunately its the brand name that sells the game instead of the actual mechanics of the game

the engine isnt necessarily the problem. the two other games I listed use the Source Engine and the Unreal Engine respectively. Both are great, and look sharp. Could say the same for MW3 actually, it was visually pleasing and ran well in of itself despite the poor online multiplayer experience.

Don't get me wrong I love it when theres a new sexy engine out that uses all the latest tech but a game is still a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oh I agree the engine isnt its biggest fault (community is) but its just pure laziness and greed that stops them improving the graphics alot.

Headshot wrote: »
    Oh I agree the engine isnt its biggest fault (community is) but its just pure laziness and greed that stops them improving the graphics alot.
    Or the fact that building a multi-platform engine which continues to run at 60fps and is a meaningful visual upgrade from the current one is all but impossible on this generation of consoles?

Yeah... but if it was designed for GFWL 2012 or higher...

see? I could see that catching on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The problem is that there just isn't enough competition for activision. Theres a reason why CoD isn't at the top of the food chain on PC, because there are so many FPS's/MMO's/RTS's/DoTA's(Watever that genre is called) on PC which are flat out better than any of the recent CoD games. The only real competition CoD has on console is halo and maybe BF3. The only other good online games on console are fifa (And some other sports/racing games and gears of war).

Whereas on PC they have to compete with BF/CS/CS:S/CS:GO/TF2/DOD/Quakelive/Tribes/Dota/LoL/WoW/Hon/Starcraft etc for online players. Shame really.

I bought MW3 on PC (I have it on PS3 aswel) and i confirm that is equally **** on both platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I didn't get a chance to play it either...but ...be honest...

Would I be able to load up black ops, and pretend its MW3 ?..would I really notice a difference ?

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »

Would I be able to load up black ops, and pretend its MW3 ?..would I really notice a difference ?

Theres a big difference, black ops is a million times better ! (And i hear it had huge problems on PC when it launched?)

Yeah... but if it was designed for GFWL 2012 or higher...

see? I could see that catching on.
    Not sure what you mean? :confused:

I was under the impression Black Ops was set during the 60s so I'd imagine yes. Comparing it with MW2 is a different story but I'd imagine if you had played both for any reasonable amount of time then yes. To the casual observer? Outside of the small number of game specific tweaks? Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Why all the hate for MW3?

I agree on PC it is getting a raw deal as it is being held back by the consoles in regards the engine and further development. BF3 is the way to go on PC.

MW3 is a good game on console. Its the most played game every day on PS3 and XBOX because people enjoy it (simple as it is). I never see any hackers on XBOX and the game runs grand except from the very rare issue with lag compensation.

You should get on with a few mates and see if you enjoy it. The engine is the best they can manage on the current consoles at 60fps and for all the moaning it actually functions very well.

It is deffo more value at 60 quid a year then most games. Look at the amount of hours people put into it.

So essentially "if it was designed for the PC" ? :)

gizmo wrote: »
    So essentially "if it was designed for the PC" ? :)
    No, designed to run games at a reasonable spec. Not all PCs are.

No, designed to run games at a reasonable spec. Not all PCs are.
    Well yes, that's why we'll see a new engine when the next gen of consoles arrive with their reasonable specs. :)

Why all the hate for MW3?

I agree on PC it is getting a raw deal as it is being held back by the consoles in regards the engine and further development. BF3 is the way to go on PC.

MW3 is a good game on console. Its the most played game every day on PS3 and XBOX because people enjoy it (simple as it is). I never see any hackers on XBOX and the game runs grand except from the very rare issue with lag compensation.

You should get on with a few mates and see if you enjoy it. The engine is the best they can manage on the current consoles at 60fps and for all the moaning it actually functions very well.

It is deffo more value at 60 quid a year then most games. Look at the amount of hours people put into it.

Like i've said, its not like PC are getting a "raw deal", but that they have more games to choose from, so they aren't pigeon holed into a couple of games. If there was an equally large selection of (Good)online games to choose from on console then i've no doubt CoD wouldn't be anywhere near as dominant. A lot of this is due to control issues, you can't really play RTS/MMO's/DoTA styled games with a gamepad.. and even FPS games like quake/TF2/tribes would be pretty bad with a gamepad. All you really have once you take away these online based games is CoD/BF and their clones as they're pretty much the only type of games that are decent on console for online play(And sports games/Halo).

As for MW3, its really bad. I actually enjoyed black ops a lot on PS3 and MW2 a little (I had nothing else to play !). MW3 is poorly designed, maps are **** and depressing, and the poor netcode/lag compensation all add up to an overall underwelming experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

gizmo wrote: »
    I was under the impression Black Ops was set during the 60s so I'd imagine yes. Comparing it with MW2 is a different story but I'd imagine if you had played both for any reasonable amount of time then yes. To the casual observer? Outside of the small number of game specific tweaks? Probably not.

It's MP is set in the 60's ?
    No, I don't think so. When referring to COD I would never refer to it's SP campaign, it is an afterthought to the MP. I am not sure anyone buys COD specifically for it's engrossing SP campaign.

I have every iteration of COD, everything since MW2 (MW2 included) is all glitz and awfulness.
    They need to get back to the crispness and excellence of COD4 and COD2.
    Less of the levelling up, sigs, design your dogtag, killstreak etc

I played a COD4 match the other night for the first time in about 2 years (custom map league) and it was amazing.

It's MP is set in the 60's ?
    No, I don't think so. When referring to COD I would never refer to it's SP campaign, it is an afterthought to the MP. I am not sure anyone buys COD specifically for it's engrossing SP campaign.
    Well in fairness you never made the distinction. :)

As for the SP thing, well when I eventually pick up Black Ops and MW3 I'll only be playing the campaign, not because it's engrossing or anything but I just see it as the video game equivalent of a summer blockbuster movie, dumb action packed fun. As for the MP, that just doesn't interest me at all.
    I have every iteration of COD, everything since MW2 (MW2 included) is all glitz and awfulness.
    They need to get back to the crispness and excellence of COD4 and COD2.
    Less of the levelling up, sigs, design your dogtag, killstreak etc

I played a COD4 match the other night for the first time in about 2 years (custom map league) and it was amazing.
    Aye, totally agree. Those systems have been taken to utterly obscene and at times, game breaking levels. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement