Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel

Options
  • 29-04-2012 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Anyone been fishing for mackerel yet? Is so any luck? Are there any spots in oranmore or nearby that are any good?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peterfoyle

Its too early August or September before they hit shores

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Was swimming in the bay the other day (blackrock) and there is a **** ton of sprat in.
    The Maks should be in soon for a feed I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The ultimate recession food! I found it was a very quiet year last year though, hope they haven't started to wise up to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭micko123

The reason I ask is that over on the angling forum guys have been catching around howth and Sligo so just wondered if they had ventured to G bay yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    The ultimate recession food! I found it was a very quiet year last year though, hope they haven't started to wise up to us.

nah, mackeral was always around and was always eaten, because it is extremely good for you, and extremly tasty. Not a recession food at all, (except maybe for those who decided to eat foie gra every week whether they liked it or not) :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

where are you living

peterfoyle wrote: »
    Its too early August or September before they hit shores

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

I usually catch them in Salthill a few days before Race Week each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

mackerel-migration-routes.jpg

Atlantic Mackerel Migration Routes (Roman Numerals = month)

They spawn in the Bay of Biscay and off the south west coast of Ireland and migrate towards the North Sea for summer feeding.

Adult mackerel spend winter in deeper water offshore but as the water warms in spring and summer they move inshore and form huge schools, once the water temperature reaches 11-14 C.

So the temperature of the bay appears to be the critical factor in when to expect them off Salthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

<snip>
    once the water temperature reaches 11-14 C.

So the temperature of the bay appears to be the critical factor in when to expect them off Salthill.

Just under 10°C yet, give it until July I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

There are plenty of mackerel in the bay, was out on a boat competition a couple of weeks back and a good load were caught, we just need a week of warmer settled weather to bring them in closer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any chance of a link to the Map & other info ?

They may be around now on their way up the coast but there is an armada of Icelandic factory boats waiting for them further North. So there might not be so many at the end of the summer.

Discodog wrote: »
    Any chance of a link to the Map & other info ?

They may be around now on their way up the coast but there is an armada of Icelandic factory boats waiting for them further North. So there might not be so many at the end of the summer.

I found the map through a Google search for Mackerel Migration.

An interesting article from the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/timeseye/offshore/p7a.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I found the map through a Google search for Mackerel Migration.

An interesting article from the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/timeseye/offshore/p7a.htm

I just found it the same way :)

I see that the row over the Faroe Islands is still going on. It looks like a lot of those fish won't make the return trip.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/mar/25/mackerel-fishing-curbs-imposed

I agree Discodog. It certainly looks as if our mackerel will go the same way as their North sea cousins... i.e. fished to near extinction... the greed and stupidity of the fishing nations is unbelievable.

The evidence is clear from what has already happened in the North Sea... herring, cod, place and mackerel practically wiped out. Yet they don't learn... *sigh*

pp1_thumb1_thumb.jpg

pp3_thumb1_thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 premium power

Fishing in Dublin bay over the last five year has been terrible. I spent a full day fishing around rockibile lighthouse and lambay island nothing but a waste of time and money, Near doing that again, there is only one solution
    moving west

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement