Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Allergy - Any cure?

• 29-04-2012 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Is there any new cures out there for dog allergies? Really want to get a dog but i know i will have an allergy and don't want any of these non allergy dogs.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I use Flexonase - its avaliable over the counter or on prescription. I have dog and cat allergies, as well as hayfever, and it pretty much eliminates all my symptoms. People think I'm nuts for having pets when I'm allergic to them, but it's totally worth it for all the fun and happiness they bring me (and my GP agrees 100% too :-) ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I use Flexonase - its avaliable over the counter or on prescription. I have dog and cat allergies, as well as hayfever, and it pretty much eliminates all my symptoms. People think I'm nuts for having pets when I'm allergic to them, but it's totally worth it for all the fun and happiness they bring me (and my GP agrees 100% too :-) ).

OP I'm the exact same as Bluecherry, allergies to dog's and hayfever on top. I also use Flexonase aswell, two squirts into each nostrel in the morning, find it great. Owner of 4 dogs and one foster here aswell at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

RubyGirl wrote: »

OP I'm the exact same as Bluecherry, allergies to dog's and hayfever on top. I also use Flexonase aswell, two squirts into each nostrel in the morning, find it great. Owner of 4 dogs and one foster here aswell at the moment.

Ok so its a nasel spray? No itchy eyes or wheezing once you take it?
    I need to get a lend of a dog and test it out. My biggest fear is to bring a dog into our lives and for it not to work out :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Ya def maybe foster a dog first and see how you get on. Ya it's a nasal spray, I have no itchy eyes or anything, and I was pretty bad when I went into my inlaw's house and she has dog's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I know a guy who wanted a dog for his family, many of whom had allegeries. They minded a CKC for a while and they got allergic reactions to it. Later they tried a Tibetan Terrier and they are all fine.

I know what you mean about no allergy dogs.
    Its actually the dander that people are allergic not the hair but there are some breeds that people may have a less allergic reaction to than others. If you do some proper research, avoid the online sites that can spout nonsense on this topic, and then go meet a few breeds of dogs you may find a breed that works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There are a number of things you can do to lessen the effects other than medication.

1. No dogs on furniture, in your bedroom or rooms with carpet.
    2. A bath for the dog as often as is needed.
    3. Keep the dogs skin and coat in good condition with a food formulated for 'coat & skin' or using supplements.
    4. A good all over groom outside twice a day.
    5. House cleaning on a daily basis
    6. Use canvas type dog beds or a trampoline bed that are quick and easy to clean and don't retain hair/dander from the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

We know we want a boxer so there hair is quite short so hoping that will help slightly but will do more research.. Would love to try the foster thing but haven't seen that many of them up for fostering.
    Tks for all the advice doesn't sound like a lost cause :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

There are a number of things you can do to lessen the effects other than medication.

1. No dogs on furniture, in your bedroom or rooms with carpet.
    2. A bath for the dog as often as is needed.
    3. Keep the dogs skin and coat in good condition with a food formulated for 'coat & skin' or using supplements.
    4. A good all over groom outside twice a day.
    5. House cleaning on a daily basis
    6. Use canvas type dog beds or a trampoline bed that are quick and easy to clean and don't retain hair/dander from the dog

7. windows wide open for AT LEAST 1 hour a day, even in winter, as muCh as possible if weather permits !

Advertisement