Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet issue-dogs fighting with each other

• 29-04-2012 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Two of our dogs had a right go at each other yesterday, not entirely sure what over, but it got a bit vicious. I broke it up by picking one of them up and that was the end of it. Can it be put down to just one of those things, is it common enough for dogs to fight with each other sometimes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angelbabie

we have 3 dogs ourselves and the same happens. it is fairly common as its all testocerone based. our jack russell can be quite vicious with our boxer but its his way of letting the boxer know that he is the boss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

As long as they don't draw blood i wouldn't get too concerned but just keep an eye on things and make sure there's no problem brewing.

I have a great dane and a jack russell and every now and then the jack russell tries to get scrapy with the dane but it's just testing the water, he knows who the boss is between the two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

There was a small amount of blood on one of their coats (showed up on white fur) but we had a good look over both of them and couldn't find any injury, so we think it must have been one of them bit their tongue or something.

Thanks for the replies anyway, I was thinking it was probably just an isolated incident, they're all getting on fine now. And when I picked up the dog to stop the fight there was no agression towards me or anything.

The funny thing is neither of the two who were fighting is the "boss" as it were, that's our other dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

That might have been just a little nick when they were mouthing each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Think of who you live with, do you never fight with them? Dogs are the same. My girls will have an occasional spat, and then everything goes on as usual. Just watch out for any signs that it may be not be blowing over, I've heard that sometimes, bitches especially, can fall out so badly that they need to be separated permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

I have the same problem with my 1 yr old dog and our families 13 year old. They are both girls and do have a right go at each other sometimes. Well its my 1 year old that seems to start it, I'm guessing she wants to be top dog. She is definitely a dominant personality but the older dog is a bit bigger and does stand her ground. It usually happens over jealousy over attention or food. No blood or anything but can look quite vicious sometimes. I usually pull the smaller dog (1 yr old) away and put her out of the room. Happens once every few days but they fine with each other otherwise and play etc. I read somewhere tho that they'll keep fighting until the leader is decided..is this true??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JennaJameson

My dogs are the best of friends, but if the dog approaches the bitch while she's eating, she'll growl and snarl. If he doesn't back off after a few warnings, there will be a little scuffle. It's never major, she's just putting him in his place. They've never injured each other, and a shout from me will break it up, so I never worry about it.

I never worry about any of the my dogs fighting with each other, really. There's never been an injury, it never last longer than 20 seconds, it just happens when ones annoys the other by trying to steal food, or wanting to play when the other one is tired. It's the same as people, I think, sometimes they just get fed up with each other.

Advertisement