Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with our cat?

• 29-04-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Friday night our male cat was fine but when I got up Saturday morning he was just asleep on the chair where he has stayed and he hasnt eaten or drank anything since Friday night.
    He is a stray we took in about a month ago and we took him to the vet as soon as we got him where he had injections for worms etc. but our vet said he had no health problems. Im worried about him cos hes usually running around and purring when he sees me, now hes just thrown opn the chair, sleeping. we wont be able to get hime to a vet until tomorrow.
    Its just strange that overnight he has gotten so sick. Hes about a year old id say, does anyone know what this could be?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I was going to say it could be a cat bite - they get infected and the first sign is usually the cat sleeping a lot and not eating. But I just saw that you've said he's thrown up on the chair, that's not good. Your vet will have an out of hours number, sounds like you might need to bring him in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

planetX wrote: »
    I was going to say it could be a cat bite - they get infected and the first sign is usually the cat sleeping a lot and not eating. But I just saw that you've said he's thrown up on the chair, that's not good. Your vet will have an out of hours number, sounds like you might need to bring him in today.

I didnt mean that hes gotten sick, sorry my way of saying that he is just lying down on the chair since Friday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

He sounds in bad shape and if he hasn't drank anything since friday, he prob won't see tomorrow. Get him to out of hours vet ASAP he might need a uv drip to get some fluids before he can be treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Also agree with getting him to a vet,my cat went like this once, on bank holiday weekend of course when no vet would be open till Tuesday. :rolleyes:. But out of nowhere her face just swelled up, so we rang the vet which had an out of hours number recorded, rang that and the vet said he'd be heading to the clinic in half an hour so meet him there. Turns out she had an abscess from a bite so she needed to be put under anesthetic and have it lanced. That only took 10 minutes so it wasn't too bad. He also said if we hadnt caught it so early it would have gotten a lot worse and may have burst which can occasionally lead to blood poisoning!:eek:

To check if your cat is dehydrated, pull up the scruff of his neck gently, it should just move back down but if it stays up - bad news. Also just have a quick look around him for any cuts or swelling. But defiantly get him to a vet today and let us know how of goes!

Edit: Here is a video of how to do the skin test, I don't think my explanation was great :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyJTJ0sFkmQ

Advertisement