Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf Travel Advice

Options
  • 29-04-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Looking to go away for between 4 and 6 months with the one goal.....surf as much as possible. At a decent enough standard but really dont enjoy surfing crowded spots. So, my question is, does anyone have experience of South America and where would the best place ( cheapest / least crowded) place to go. Was also debating Morocco but would like to see South America really. Any advice or past experiences would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

I've had three great trips to Peru, well worth heading to for at least a month, most consistent place I've ever surf:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dukeofluxembour

yeah Ive had my eye on Peru alright...looks quite good..possible to get away from the crowds without your own vehicle?

Punta Hermosa is a good base for a few weeks and Pacasmayo is a must as well, never had a problem with crowds

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

a mate of mine is thinking of heading for Ecuador. Might be quieter than Peru?

rodento wrote: »
    Punta Hermosa is a good base for a few weeks and Pacasmayo is a must as well, never had a problem with crowds

Nice one...a mate of mine is looking at Ecuador but for some reason Im drawn to Peru - will spend sometime looking online before making any decisions but anything else you think is relevant wud be appreciated...cheers

• Advertisement

Most of these shots are from Peru, surfable waves nearly everyday, though you'll need 4'3 and a shorty, can be a bit cold but it keeps the crowds away

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodento/sets/72157602381760830/

The magicseaweed app has the place well covered by their mobile app/stormrider tie in

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Great pics, looks like a super trip, brightened up a crappy monday morning :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rossdoc81

I have done a few trips, some surfing and some backpacking.

Indonesia, surf is amazing and mad consistant, but bali is way too crowded (60+ people is common), the other islands with surf are hard to get to, and its mostly fast shallow reefs so you need to be used of Irish reefbreaks.

Morocco, great spot if you are an intermediate as the pointbreaks are easy enough to surf. The waves around Taghazout (thats where I stayed) can be crowded enough (40+ at Anchors), but Id say if you got out and about you'd find empty perfection, camper van would be savage here. Wind always seemed light offshore.

Mexico, I didn't surf here but traveled down the Pacific coast. Everything always seemed to blow out at 10am everyday, at Puerto Escondido 95% of the waves seemed to close out. Not impressed, but as i said I didn't surf.

I was in Costa Rica and Nicaragua too (pacific side). Wasnt too impressed with the few spots I saw but I didnt get to surf here either, so only kind of guessing. A friend of mine was in Panama and said it was mediocre.

I didn't get to go to El Salvador but talked to a few people who had been there and they said the surf is unreal. Hardly any crowds, and about 20 right cobblestone points in 10 miles of coast. I'd love to get there eventually.

From what I can see there are very few countries with quality reefs like ours, so if you go to a country on a trip it has to have pretty perfect, savage waves or you'll be pissed.

I'd say buy a van, convert it and drive to Morocco in mid november after it starts to get cold here. Thats my plan eventually :D

Nice one for all that....I think its a toss up between Peru and Morocco at this stage now then...Bali crowds and razor sharp reefs would be a bit much right now...the idea of a camper van and Morocco do sound tempting and for sure there would be a number of empty spots with some good scouting!

Cheers for that man...El Salvador never occured to me, figured it would be busy or expensive there tho...maybe not!

Who wants to get a camper van an hit Morocco then....November to March!!!

Advertisement